Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
AbsSplit Advice

Need new weighted ab exercises14831

PowerLevel9000 private msg quote post Address this user
Trying to learn some new weighted ab exercises that you guys use. Feel free to post links to videos.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I've come to realize that weighted ab movements are not nearly as important, functional, or beneficial as core stabilizing exercises like plank variations. Just some food for thought. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
almighty_she private msg quote post Address this user
I feel like you can find a great number of them HERE. Just pick abs, filter what you'd like and enjoy They come with videos and what I find handy is that they are rated as well and they have a nice info.
One of my favs is cable crunch.
But @eknight has a point.

Also I don't know how informed you are about the whole thing, but if you want sexy abs (like super saiyan I suppose), weighted ab exercises won't do much without cardio [Sorry if you already know it, just trying to help if you're new]
Post 3 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Try this move Jim is doing at the very beginning of this vid. Killer on the obliques and core.

Post 4 IP   flag post
nbd23 private msg quote post Address this user
i would else just add to @almighty_she and wannabemusclar is do a cicruit of ab excerises before resting minimally and concentrate on the contractions breathing is crucial.
Post 5 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
I've come to realize that weighted ab movements are not nearly as important, functional, or beneficial as core stabilizing exercises like plank variations. Just some food for thought. -3X

I thought weighted ab exercises really bring your abs out....
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
As usual, though, bodybuilding and training for "appearance sake" is not, in any way, functional. Trunk flexion with additional resistance is not only not going to hit your deeper trunk muscles (namely your transversus abdominus), but it adds crazy stress to your lumbar spine. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
MMB private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight what would be your best core work to perform for strenght?
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Planks in all possible ways- regular, side, feet elevated, single arm, single leg, on a ball. If it's a plank, it's good to go. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
databas1c private msg quote post Address this user
I'm a big fan of integrative core stabilization movements. Especially those that involve stabilizing the core during lateral and or rotational movements. Paul chek has done a great deal of work in this area. Gray cook and Eric Cressey are other people doing similar work but with more clinically backed results. Specific exercises to look at include chop and lift variations as well as Turkish get ups and elbow to knee roll outs. A lot of traditional mat Pilates work is actually also good for core stability.
Post 10 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Now @eknight, what movement would you recommend for the other side of folks? Purely for aesthetics (the word fit, not trying to be a bro) with little to no emphasis on strength or functionality.
Post 11 IP   flag post
databas1c private msg quote post Address this user
@SOLARSUPLEX I'd go with this.
Post 12 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@SOLARSUPLEX I wouldn't. -3X
Post 13 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't go extremely heavy on cable ab crunches if that's your chosen ab exercise, I did this and ended up giving myself a partial umbilical tear.

Planks all the way for me now!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Hamer93 private msg quote post Address this user
For the mid section I do planks, wood choppers and decline bench sit ups. Occasionally roll outs. thoughts EK?
Post 15 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Nothing wrong with that. Full sit-ups/crunches aren't necessary, just the first third to half of the movement. After that your hip flexors really end up dominating the motion. -3X
Post 16 IP   flag post
cardinal private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight any tips for good core stabilisation moves that aren't static in nature? I've found them really beneficial in addition to Beltless training but I really dislike doing plank after plank. I find it hard to motivate myself to do them as they fall at the end of each session.
Post 17 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Move them to the beginning of your workout and begin utilizing a ball for some of your exercises. If you learn to activate your core by drawing it in, ball movements are great. Finally, google dead bugs and quadruped bird-dogs. -3X
Post 18 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
Decline sit-up to overhead plate press
Rope cable crunches
Lying bicycle crunches
V-Sits
Post 19 IP   flag post
cardinal private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight Dead bugs seem legit. Look like a great way to activate the deep abdominal wall. Cheers mate!
Post 20 IP   flag post
340768 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?
destitute