Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressSquatsTraining Programs

Smolov JR. ?14391

MMB private msg quote post Address this user
Sup everyone, I am currently looking for the next step when my 5/3/1 Strenght Challenge will de done. I'm wondering if anyone out there as ever tried smolov jr. either for bench or squat?
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I ran it for bench. Tore my pec on the next to last workout. It's fantastic, but you better stretch and row like a mofo. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
Good to hear, especialy from the bench king! How long are we supposed to rest between sets? Can't find the info on that.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
As long as it takes. 2-3 minutes tops is what I shot for. Usually only a minute though. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
Ok, this is what I used to do with almost any programme. Usualy between 1-2min. Thanks alot @EK
Post 5 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
I have a buddy who has been talking about smolov jr for bench a lot lately. Trying to convince me to do it. Too bad my work schedule is all over the place. I hear nothing but good things about it though.

@EK how much would you say you would've been looking at adding to your bench on smolov if you didn't get injured?
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Went from 330 touch and go to I'm sure I would have paused 350 easily- and I dropped 18 pounds over the summer before and during the time I was running. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Went from 330 touch and go to I'm sure I would have paused 350 easily- and I dropped 18 pounds over the summer before and during the time I was running. -3X
Good lord! That's a huge increase in such a short time.

I've always wondered how much of the strength would stay once transferring back to a normal routine.
Post 8 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinchicken
Quote:
Good lord! That's a huge increase in such a short time.

I've always wondered how much of the strength would stay once transferring back to a normal routine.

Thats my only issue with smolov and smolov JR. I have heard a lot of people lose most of the gains they make
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Personally I don't feel like I lost much, if any. I stopped focusing on powerlifting after I tore my pec and was still able to hit 355 touch and go as recently as 2 months ago having run general strength routines since Smolov, Jr. While it is definitely a "peaking" routine, if you trains and eat right you shouldn't lose much. -3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
If I'm attempting it for squats, would you recommand using a belt and knee sleeves? I used to wear a belt on lower power day when I ran PHAT. Stopped to use it because I wanted to be as "raw" as possible.
Post 11 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
When I did the squat mesocycle, I tried not to use a belt at all, but by week 2 the heavy sets were just killing my back. Squatting 4 times a week is no joke. -3X
Post 12 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Personally I don't feel like I lost much, if any. I stopped focusing on powerlifting after I tore my pec and was still able to hit 355 touch and go as recently as 2 months ago having run general strength routines since Smolov, Jr. While it is definitely a "peaking" routine, if you trains and eat right you shouldn't lose much. -3X

Considering most people don't pay attention to their nutrition that could be a big reason why they don't keep the strength they gained but do you think the fact that since you have previously benched much more than that, that maybe that played a role in you keeping your strength? Muscle memory or whatever its called.
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@_RudeCrew yeah that seems reasonable. -3X
Post 14 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
Since we are talking about bench. @eknight want to ask something. Does grip matters on benching?. Im used in doing suicide grip and when i switch and try to do close grip it feels unatural for me and bar feels a little heavier. Do think i should stick to suicide since its comfortable for me or should i practice close grip?.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrivs49
Since we are talking about bench. @eknight want to ask something. Does grip matters on benching?. Im used in doing suicide grip and when i switch and try to do close grip it feels unatural for me and bar feels a little heavier. Do think i should stick to suicide since its comfortable for me or should i practice close grip?.
SS benchers?
Post 16 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
I hadn't really done any bench press for over a year so the numbers are going to be pretty wacky but on a smolov jr cycle I added 22.5kg to my bench in about four weeks.
Post 17 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@jonrivs49 suicide grip offers a couple of disadvantages- first off, it's not safe. Beyond that, though, if you want to really start handling heavier weight, the act of gripping and squeezing the bar has been thought to allow for greater neuromuscular involvement. If you're not going to be going crazy heavy, you're fine.

This is enough for me not to use it:

-3X
Post 18 IP   flag post
@eknight. I understand that suicide grip are a little unsafe. Im very used to it since its already the grip I use from the time I started lifting. Im planning to run a powerlifting routine and just want to know if it makes a difference in lifting the bar.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@eknight. I understand that suicide grip are a little unsafe. Im very used to it since its already the grip I use from the time I started lifting. Im planning to run a powerlifting routine and just want to know if it makes a difference in lifting the bar.

RIP bro
Post 20 IP   flag post
@Trev182. I guess its time to start practicing close grip. haha. just feels unnatural.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Trev182. I guess its time to start practicing close grip. haha. just feels unnatural.

Im talking about the suicide grip!
Post 22 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@jonrivs49 well, as I said, most heavy benchers advocate being able to really squeeze the bar. See if you can get comfortable with it. Either way, just be safe. -3X
Post 23 IP   flag post
340770 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?
destitute