Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split AdviceTraining Programs

Westside barbell routine12900

MassTitan private msg quote post Address this user
I have an issue with DE days, since I don't have any bands/chains would it still be effective to do speed aka DE work? Or should I just do hypotherapy instead? Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
pandasashi private msg quote post Address this user
still do the speed imo, you dont need bands/chains as far as im concerned..
Post 2 IP   flag post
Would speed work be more beneficial than 2 ME days in week? Like one session with 3x5 and other session 3x3.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Don't change the routine. Speed work is as beneficial as heavy work. That's why it's there. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
Do speed work, WSBB is a very good routine if one as prescribed, do it without bands if you don't have access to them. Also if you really want to use bands you can buy them relatively cheaply, I got two sets recently. worth the money as they last ages as well
Post 5 IP   flag post
Konstantinov private msg quote post Address this user
@WinnersNeverQuit where did you get yours?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Bands and chains are a must or just another variation of tools?
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
You can do ME and DE without them, but I've found they really help the last few inches of lockout. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
I think you're supposed to do 60% of your 1Rm if you dont have bands or chains.
Post 9 IP   flag post
60% for squat? What about deadlift and bechpress?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Same for all I believe. @eknight or @WinnersNeverQuit can correct me if I'm wrong.
Post 11 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
@MassTitan as @WinnersNeverQuit says you can get bands cheaply. I love 'em and highly recommend adding them into your routine.

Here are the ones I use:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=495&pid=247 - get two (for squats - thread through bottom of cage)

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=495&pid=246 - get one (for bench - loop underneath bench)
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew
@MassTitan as @WinnersNeverQuit says you can get bands cheaply. I love 'em and highly recommend adding them into your routine.

Here are the ones I use:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=495&pid=247 - get two (for squats - thread through bottom of cage)

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=495&pid=246 - get one (for bench - loop underneath bench)

I agree with this. I got the Mountain Dog Training Pack for $50 on black friday. Has every band I need!
clickable text
Post 13 IP   flag post
60% for all 3 lifts DE work ?
Post 14 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassTitan
60% for all 3 lifts DE work ?

http://www.strstd.com/ recommends 40% x 5/50% x 5/60% x5 (increasing for sets 1-3). I forget what the book says. I usually do 60/60/60 or take the day off completely tbh
Post 15 IP   flag post
Eat2Trainn247 private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight in regards to speed days, I have heard opposing views from several people about whether or not they are beneficial. Some find them crucial to increasing strength while others I have spoken to think a speed day is pointless.

Is there any research out there supporting the use of speed days? I am going to implement a consistent speed day in my next training block to see how I benefit from it. Was curious to know what, if any, literature is out there and/or what sources you have used to educate your self about the benefits of implementing speedwork. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Post 16 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I'm not sure of any actual research, per se, but I'm sure if you did an extensive enough search on conjugate methods you'd find something. For me, personally, I adopted DE days when I was a neophyte in powerlifting. I was still competing in the 132s, benching around 330 and I did a few national level meets where I met some great veteran lifters who used WSBB or something similar and they got me hooked. For me the results spoke for themselves, and the science seems logical. -3X
Post 17 IP   flag post
I can use close grip bench as auxiliary work on DE upper body? (And using regular bench for DE)
Post 18 IP   flag post
Eat2Trainn247 private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight Appreciate the insight. I'll keep you posted on what I think once I get started after the move!
Post 19 IP   flag post
340617 19 19
destitute