Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestDeltsShoulders

Front delts sore after chest day?12362

Sedlo18 private msg quote post Address this user
Alright heres the deal. On chest day, the only thing I feel working is my chest...which is perfect. BUT the next day my front delts are more sore than after a shoulder day. Dont get me wrong my chest is always ridiculously sore and tight (great feeling) but I just dont get why my shoulders are so sore when I dont even feel them working on chest day. My form is spot on...Shoulders retracted and depressed,slight arch in back, butt planted and feet firmly on the ground and elbows come to a 45 degree angle. So I dont thing thats it but the only reason I could think of is that mabey my front delts are quite abit weaker than my chest? They've always been a tad underdeveloped compared to the other two heads of my shoulder but nothing crazy. So what do you think is the promblem? Any ideas would be great! Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
If I'm going for PR's I'll feel it in my front delts/triceps occasionally. BB bench presses are compound movements so I doubt that it's uncommon. Are you training shoulders close to chest day?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Ben777 private msg quote post Address this user
There is no problem. You use your delts when benching
Post 3 IP   flag post
Sedlo18 private msg quote post Address this user
@Frostshock It goes Chest, Back, legs and shoulders and then arms. So there is a day of rest in between.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I wouldn't worry about it man. Like @Ben777 said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben777
There is no problem. You use your delts when benching
Post 5 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
@Sedlo18

It's not a big problem, but make sure that your shoulders are fully back and bring shoulder blades together before benchin.g You will then reduce the involvement of your front delts (but obviously not take them out of the movement fully). SO just work on your set up before benching!
Post 6 IP   flag post
OptimusPrime private msg quote post Address this user
@Sedlo18 It's a rarity to have under-developed anterior deltoids with the bench press epidemic. It could be that your accessory work to the bench is insufficient to make significant improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedlo18
@Frostshock It goes Chest, Back, legs and shoulders and then arms. So there is a day of rest in between.

Doing bicep work will also load your anterior deltoid, more-so if you conduct a majority of your bicep work whilst standing. Regardless of how strict your form is, there will always be some load. So with 'shoulders, arms, rest, chest' you're effectively doing a day of 'isolation' on shoulder day, then it's an accessory for the next two work outs.

Perhaps a Back, Chest, Rest, Legs, Arms, Rest, Shoulders, Rest would allow for adequate rest/recovery to really hammer shoulders if you feel they are lagging.
Post 7 IP   flag post
teampsi private msg quote post Address this user
Dont know if this will help. I had same problem last year till I brought my grip closer together on bb bench press instead of trying to go to wide.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I was always under the impression that the forearms should be basically vertical for the most activation of your chest? Close-grip brings your triceps into play more and I THINK (not positive) wide grip uses more of your shoulders?

Post 9 IP   flag post
Sach private msg quote post Address this user
Chest presses are pure front delt exercises, that's why its usually a bad idea to seperate your delt training from your chest training if you run a routine where everything gets hit twice a week.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
@Sach no. A "pure" front delt exercise would result in shoulder flexion, not horizontal adduction. The anterior delt is a secondary contributor to the pec major in the bench press, but I certainly wouldn't say it's a pure front delt movement. -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
340609 11 11
destitute