Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressChestProgress Update

First day of 5x5 yesterday on Bench9952

Martino private msg quote post Address this user
Yesterday was the very first time i have tried doing only 5 reps 5 x on bench and wheey i can lift alot more then i thought for just the short reps..although it is still pityful compared to some. here is what i did and what i intend to do over the next coming weeks.

5x5 Bench press

65kg
65kg
65kg
67,5kg
67,5kg

I am looking to increase slowly everyweek so next week would be like this

65kg
65kg
67,5kg
67,5kg
67,5kg

then on week number 5 maybe try this

67.5kg
67.5kg
67.5kg
67.5kg
70kg

Would you guys say this is the right way to go about this?..

Many thanks in advance

Martin,
Post 1 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
if you just started doing a 5x5 program and that weight is already tough then you should start with a lower weight. Maybe 10 or 15LBS less and you will be back up to that weight in 2-3 weeks. You want to have progression but if you start at your limit then you are going to fail right away. Also, don't forget to do warm up sets before you do your heavy working sets.

And I'm guessing your diet isnt right...diet is just as important as your workout routine so get educated on both.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Martino private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the comment haole 60kg x 12 reps x 3sets is my max. I dont think i am exerting myself too much doing 67.5kg for 5 reps i feel i can do it quite well so think im going to stick at this. thanks for your opinion though.

As for diet im pretty clued up on diet as i passed a nutrition course last year but again thanks for the help!...

You learn new stuff everyday though so dont get me wrong i still have alot to learn as does everyone!
Post 3 IP   flag post
ryan_929 private msg quote post Address this user
Its a 12 week programme and you add 2.5kg per workout, (1.25 kg) each side

you work chest 3 times over 2 weeks, So.

2.5kg x3 = 7.5kg increase in weight (every 2 weeks)

7.5k x 2 (A month) = 15 kg increase per month, 45 kg added by the end of the programme, Although i think chest is the only flawed thing in the 5x5

I say this because my 1rm is 100kg

And it said i should start from 42.5kg- So by the end of the 5x5 programme i would be benching 5 reps on 87.5 kg

I could bench 2-3 reps on that weight before i even started the programme.

Compared to Squats and Deadlifts, that is a considerably small increase for a beginner programme.

So i would start by finding out your 1 rep max, then starting 5x5 on 50-55% of your 1 rep max.

Thats my 2 cents.
Post 4 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
@Martino sounds like your starting at a good weight. The program usually goes up 2.5kg per session but if you cant do that on all 5 sets then try taking a longer rest or just not adding weight on some days.

@ryan_929 your not a beginner so your not supposed to start that low. There is a formula they use to find your starting weight but its not that critical. My max when I started was 240LBS and I started at 170LBS. After about 14 weeks on the routine my 1RM was 275LBS and I gained about 10LBS on a bulk diet.
Post 5 IP   flag post
ryan_929 private msg quote post Address this user
@haole I downloaded his formula to work stuff out, and used that numbers it gave me
Post 6 IP   flag post
340737 6 6
destitute