Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
OhhLoLo private msg quote post Address this user
i think decline is the easiest to unrack and lift.

i can hit a substantially higher amount of weight as well compared to flat and incline.
Post 26 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
@Hewy007 yeah, I know it's everywhere because broscience dies a hard death, lol. This is copy and pasted from a previous thread on said topic:

OK, after being asked to discuss this, I started a new thread. Pardon me in advance that this is going to be long, I'm sure.
We've all heard for years, I'm sure, that doing incline bench presses will work more of the upper chest, right? Wrong. Here's why. Quick review of anatomy for those who are interested. The muscles of the chest are composed of two primary muscles- the pec major and minor. The pec minor is NOT a "mover." It is a fixating muscle whose only action is fixate and stabilize the scapula by drawing it inferiorly and anteriorly against the thoracic wall. In other words, it will not gain significant hypertrophy from bench pressing, because that's just not what it does- it fixates and helps keeps the shoulder joint in place; it doesn't move and contract the way that the pec major does. Next, the pec major- the large muscle that fans our from the sternum to the shoulder joint, with fibers running out in that direction. Muscles, as we all know, can only contract in the following ways- one, either completely or not at all (like a light switch), so there's no way to work only a portion of the muscle; in other words, you can't cause a nerve impulse to contract from one portion of the muscle without contracting the entire thing- just doesn't work that way. Two, they only contract in the direction that the fibers run (which is why pullovers are not a "chest" movement- they cause the chest to move up-and-down, not in and out). Finally, Electromyography (EMG) is a technique for evaluating and recording the electrical activity produced by skeletal muscles. It actually measures where and how hard a muscle contracts. Basically, when a muscle contracts it produces electrical energy. The higher the electrical energy the more work the actual muscle is producing. By attaching electrodes to the skin over the bellies of each of these muscles this electrical energy can be measured and read using an electromyograph (EMG).
OK, now that that's out of the way, some logic should dictate my next point- if you can only contract a muscle entiely or not at all, significant changes in how that muscle contracts shouldn't be caused by changing the angle of a pressing movement. This is why inclines do not cause significant growth in the "upper pecs"- first, there are no upper pecs, just pecs; second, moving the angle will not increase greater contraction across this gradient.
When applying EMG activity to the chest, what do the results say? Rather than citing each of the several studies that say this, I'll direct you to the follwoing meta-analysis, which has done just that, and quote some of the particulars. Have a read of the entire thing if it interests you: http://www.thesportjournal.org/article/optimizing-development-pectoralis-major

The first noteworthy piece here, states, "It has been perceived that by performing the bench press at the incline position the clavicular head is targeted while the horizontal position targets the sternocostal head. Barnett, C., et al. (1995) showed that the clavicular head showed no significant difference in EMG activity from the horizontal to the incline position but was least active during the decline bench press. "

Barnett, C., et al (1995), also found this to be true, noting "The incline press does not result in greater activation of the clavicular head of the pectoralis major than the horizontal bench press." (http://www.daveywaveyfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Effects-of-Variations-of-the-Bench-Press-Exercise-on-the-EMG-Activity-of-Five-Shoulder-Muscles.pdf)

Glass, S. C., & Armstrong, T. also found this to be true, concluding that, "there was no significant difference in activation of the upper pectoral portion during either the incline or decline bench press."

In fact, EVERY EMG test I know of said the same thing- isolation of the upper pecs, or even noticeably greater development of them is not going to happen from doing inclines.

So, what's the take home from this? I don't believe that inclines are "bad," or "useless." They offer variation to your workouts, slam the front delts more, increase triceps and pressing strength in general, and certainly have their place. It's just that they aren't going to hit the clavicular head of the pecs much more than flat benching, and thus, offer no advantage over a supine bench press in terms of that. -3X
Post 27 IP   flag post
OhhLoLo private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight so wouldn't it make sense for one of your major compound chest exercises to be whichever press you can go the heaviest on and complete the most reps with for the most EMG activation?

for example, most people are weaker on incline bench compared to flat or decline. incline and flat have their benefits for shoulders/triceps. For me, decline bench is the one that i can go the heaviest on and complete a higher amount of reps/sets.
Post 28 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I guess. It's my preference to just lift heavy flat bench and grow. -3X
Post 29 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
I personally like decline benchpress aswell, going to do the switch over in May to decline barbell.. always press alot more and I have no issues with unracking it.

My decline bench blows and it does cause a bit of discomfort, but my shoulder feels fine on that angle.
Post 30 IP   flag post

bunter225 private msg quote post Address this user
Im with @the1 on this one, I switched to decline because flat was killing my shoulders, I can shift more on decline and feels better on chest and delts.

But in no way am I disagreeing with anything @ek has posted! Just personal preference
Post 31 IP   flag post
Hewy007 private msg quote post Address this user
@ajones46 what difference does it make when I joined? And you were busting my balls, and i'm not your friend lol

anyways no offense taken but a reply other than "-.-, or 'get out'" would of been more welcoming to a new member of the website, or any other member of the website for that matter
Post 32 IP   flag post
Hewy007 private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight Damn those mad bro scientists!
Post 33 IP   flag post
340764 33 8
destitute