Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Female FitnessLOLMisc.

weird small talk at the gym (rant)9509

oceanair private msg quote post Address this user
so i just finished my 3rd set of cable rows and was resting when this older man who was doing rope pull-downs near me asked, "so are you working hard or hardly working?" my initial thought was is he really asking me this? i personally don't like chit chat when i'm lifting. it took me a minute to respond because i was annoyed/surprised. so i think i said ya i'm doing good. then i asked him the same thing. he said he was trying, and it was only his 2nd time in the gym. no wonder, cuz what i really wanted to say was, "do you even lift, bro?" and then he was like, "just trying to blow off some steam from work here, and then i'll blow off some steam at church." lmao

i swear i always get weirdos asking me shit like this. like one time i was doing a 10 min warm-up on the bike. this older dude kept lookin at me. then when i got off the bike, he was like, "is that it? are you done with your workout?" so i explained it was just my warm-up. but really? i mean mind your own fucking business!

SHEESH.

anyone else get weird questions like this asked?
Post 1 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
@oceanair.. it looks like old guys are attracted to you.. haha
Post 2 IP   flag post
@jonrivs49 apparently :/ lol
Post 3 IP   flag post
coolguy1993 private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah I get annoying questions like that.
I never get asked by anyone around my age or any students, apart from asking for spots/ weights etc.
However I frequenctly get old men talking to me (they usually seem gay/into little boys) and they ask wierd shit- especially when I'm in the shower its creepy as fuck.
I guess because I look like a little boy and they are probably paedophiles lol.
Either that and they are just a bit lonely and want to talk to someone and I look like a warm and fuzzy person.
I bet you never thought they just think you look like a nice friendly person but your actually like "Fuck Off Wierdo"- for shame (jk lmao)

lifters be lifting
Wierdos be wierding
Post 4 IP   flag post
@coolguy1993 well that is creepy if it's happening when you're in the shower! lol ohmygoodness. i am a nice, friendly person! lol i just don't like to be bothered at the gym. ok maybe i'm not that nice if i wrote this rant, huh? lol oh well :p
Post 5 IP   flag post
samirsaleh private msg quote post Address this user
lool, a lot of old guys seem to come and ask me (is it too late at this age? how long is it going to take me to be where ur at?) and similar questions. I get into a lot of interesting chats with old guys and love motivating them. Mostly its in the sauna room at the gym, for some reason they all think itl help them lose weight.

But yeah if im really into my workout then I wouldnt respond to anything I hear and act as if no one is there, unless there is eye contact only then I feel its rude to ignore.

Once though out of nowhere an old guy came askin "what medicine you on, and where can I but it from", turns out he was lookin for juice
Post 6 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
@coolguy1993.. If your in the shower and someone comes to you and start a conversation. wazzup.. want a spot.. Creepy shit.. LOL.. haha..
Post 7 IP   flag post
Elminister private msg quote post Address this user
I think the first guy was trying to be funny. Poor guy should've known Oceanair prefers semi-sexist puns

@coolguy1993, that's really disturbing. I wouldn't be comfortable coming to such a gym.

My gym is pretty small and I know almost everyone. There's always some chit-chat, but I make sure not to waste too much time on it and focus on my training. When you meet same people every day for months, it would be rude not to engage in a bit of small talk every now and then.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Elminister ya maybe he was trying to be funny. idk, i just get in the zone when i'm working out and don't like to chat. i know that might sound bitchy, but whatev.
Post 9 IP   flag post
adam82a private msg quote post Address this user
@oceanair stuff like that makes me cringe. Thing is he would never approach a guy that way.

I over heard two guys discussing eachothers groin yesterday. It made me quite uncomfortable...
Post 10 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
I thought you worked out in a shitty neighbourhood that normally gets rid of all those people.

Anyone old in my gym is a fucking bad ass and been lifting for 30+ years, you see guys who come in do a bit are scary strong don't look it most of them use to be ex powerlifters.
Post 11 IP   flag post
johon6 private msg quote post Address this user
@ocean
they think you're good looking and are basically trying anything to strike up a convo !
Post 12 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
This goes back to the music thread and why I wear headphones. -3X
Post 13 IP   flag post
@IrishGymSheep ya my gym is pretty hood. I carry a pocket knife and glock 19.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Thisisscotty private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight I wear headphones but yet still get questions..

Last week, I got asked why do I go so low on squats?

and another was Why did u only do 6 reps? Why dont u lower the weight and get 12? hahaha So i explained to him heavy days and hypertrophy days.. Then he got confused on why i lift the same body parts twice a week.. haha
Post 15 IP   flag post
KnifeHands private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanair

Look at that you remembered what a correct Glock model is, Reps!
Post 16 IP   flag post
G3NGHIS private msg quote post Address this user
It is okay. A lot of people see the gym as the social hour. The gym I belong to caters to older people and many of them find it kind of strange that I actually workout. However, many people find it interesting and have tried to befriend me because of it.

PEOPLE ARE STRANGE

Who am I to judge? I'm just a Dwarven Nationalist.
Post 17 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
@Thisisscotty was it this person?

-3X
Post 18 IP   flag post
ajones46 private msg quote post Address this user
lol wut!?!
Post 19 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
The only way that girl could have seemed more awesome is if she actually took a bite out of the cat.
Post 20 IP   flag post
ajones46 private msg quote post Address this user
And I rarely get people talking to me at my gym, I go late at night and it's basically empty.

My gym has these lanyards you can wear to hit a button if there's an emergency or you feel threatened. Maybe you should equip one @oceanair. Just threaten to push the button next time someone comes up. "I'LL DO IT?!"
Post 21 IP   flag post
databas1c private msg quote post Address this user
I almost never talk to anyone in the gym. I go to a 'fitness club' where fitness hardly seems to be a priority for most of the members so I get a fair amount of old people starting random conversations with me between their sets of 'random pulling stuff on a cable machine'.

A few weeks ago though, I saw an older guy doing fairly heavy power cleans and overhead squats and I had to make some small talk.
Post 22 IP   flag post
databas1c private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeHands
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanair

Look at that you remembered what a correct Glock model is, Reps!

Must be pretty hard to conceal carry a glock 19 in gym clothes though haha.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@KnifeHands

@databas1c who says it's in my clothes? maybe it's in the duffle bag I carry around.

@eknight WTF? lol
Post 24 IP   flag post
Kansas___Boyyyyy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
This goes back to the music thread and why I wear headphones. -3X

@EK i have a fucking epic meme on my phone that i cant find on the computer to upload completely related to this. I will keep searching!

@Ocean at least youre not like the chicks that think theyre bad at my gym looking around trying to get guys to come talk to them. Last night prime example 18 yr old looking around eye fucking every dude in the gym and then talking to the ones she lured in. No sweat for her. AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT
Post 25 IP   flag post
Kansas___Boyyyyy private msg quote post Address this user
BOOOOOOOOOOOOM DELIVERED

Post 26 IP   flag post
@Kansas___Boyyyyy haha perfect! I think I need the ones bottom right
Post 27 IP   flag post
coolguy1993 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrivs49
@coolguy1993.. If your in the shower and someone comes to you and start a conversation. wazzup.. want a spot.. Creepy shit.. LOL.. haha..

lmao one time a guy (my age) started showering right next to me and singing at the top of his voice. A lot of wierdos occupying gyms!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Jezza_91 private msg quote post Address this user
Are you using that machine when your clearly using it annoys me lol. And the "LOOKERS" the ones who stare at you all the time in the changing rooms "dick" every where hahaha
Post 29 IP   flag post
Elminister private msg quote post Address this user
Wow guys, your gyms are so unpleasant.
Post 30 IP   flag post
340762 63 30
destitute