Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
PHATSplit AdviceSpotting

PHAT without a spotter :(9273

lift4life private msg quote post Address this user
does anyone know how to do Phat without a spotter, i cant lift heavy its fukn annoying i need a spotter whatt do i do?
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Ask someone in your gym. I do this twice a week and have for years. If people know you're willing to do the same, they are usually pretty open to helping someone. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
What EK said.
Post 3 IP   flag post
david12345676 private msg quote post Address this user
i have never once been turned down by someone i asked to spot me.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Scotian private msg quote post Address this user
I usually ask the people I see in the gym every day. If they're a shitty spotter you don't ask that one again haha
Post 5 IP   flag post
i think i might just go tommorow to Finnish my upper body power got so annoyed that i couldn't lift because me and my gym partner have changed gyms but mine is still being built so out of frustration i got up and left with only done back and bis

it srly suck so bad without a gym partner like i dont mind asking randoms but the way they spot is so different to your best mates
Post 6 IP   flag post
@eknight for some reason when i tried lifting the weights on one side. my collar bone is starting to feel weird like it doesnt hurt but just feels weird any idea?
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
What exercise/movements? Is the discomfort only with weighted movements or any time you go through ROM. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
AarronStenner private msg quote post Address this user
As the guys said most people would spot you, although what do you need spotting on? Power days you should be able to do the weight yourself
Post 9 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
I've done phat for a year without a spotter. Be smart about it. Learn your body. Lift some heavy ass weight. Don't rely on a spotter to curl the bar for you, leave your ego at the door.

Just my $0.02.
Post 10 IP   flag post
tamere01 private msg quote post Address this user
You could ask any random person near you to spot you.
But like Nor says you don't really need a spotter, if you do then you need to lower the weight tbh unless your testing un tried weights which then again just ask man but make sure they only help when your defo not going to get the rep in. nothing worse then a guy who helps you while your grinding out a new pb so it doesn't count
Post 11 IP   flag post
Dukenhiemer private msg quote post Address this user
I never have a spotter. Unless its Dirk or the gym manager, most Jo Blows are fucking retarded when it comes to giving a reliable spot.
Latsbesrs.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Danimal_88 private msg quote post Address this user
I usually never have a spotter. Know your body and stay away from failure.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Danimal_88 private msg quote post Address this user
you can always ditch a squat and deadlift if needed. Also, dropping the bar on your chest during bench is a right of passage i feel lol
Post 14 IP   flag post
johon6 private msg quote post Address this user
tbh, i've had the same problem, EVERYONE in my gym is DICK !!!
BUT, theres a new intake of a couple of lads and started to say hello, small chit chat,
but tbh seem like decent enough guys to ask
Post 15 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Fuck that. Between my short arms needing a lift off, and the weight I've handled in the past, I have NEEDED a spotter. Dropping 200 pounds on your chest is one thing; dropping enough to cut you in half is a different story. -3X
Post 16 IP   flag post
igg private msg quote post Address this user
If you can't lift the weight by your self, why do you need a spotter...obviously the weight is too heavy for you. A spotter, IMO, should only be there if shit hits the fan on the last rep. Lower the fucking weight

P.s I suppose you would need one if you were doing, as ek said, a weight that could cut you in half but I doubt you are
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
What exercise/movements? Is the discomfort only with weighted movements or any time you go through ROM. -3X

sorry for the late reply totally forgot about it. what happen was whenever i shrugged my shoulders there would be like a weird popping noise but it wouldnt hurt. i had a bath with warm sea salt muscle sooth and that seemed to do the trick however i sometimes get them again
Post 18 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
Never needed a spotter, but I suppose if you were lifting really heavy ass weight it'd be a good idea. I don't lift light but I don't try to set any records either.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@SwoleAnimal i find it a big problem man because i aim to lift weights that i usually cant lift. and on power day i can with only 6 reps but i decided i might just put phat on hold until i get my spotter back otherwise i might hurt myself with randoms not being able to spot as well as my usual spotter
Post 20 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by lift4life
i aim to lift weights that i usually cant lift.

That there would be your problem
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
Quote:
Originally Posted by lift4life
i aim to lift weights that i usually cant lift.

That there would be your problem

surprisingly with a good spotter and low reps it is easily achieved
Post 22 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
If it's easily achieved how come you can't usually lift them?
Post 23 IP   flag post
340630 23 23
destitute