NewbiePHATSplit AdviceTeen

Should i start Layne Nortons PHAT routine?8910

Whitewalls private msg quote post Address this user
Hello all, im 17 6ft and 175 lbs atm
Here are my lifts
Squat 225
Bench 130
Deadlift 230

As you can see from my lifts, my upper body is not the strongest and i have a bit of a T Rex build going on. I started lifting a few months ago and i was on Starting Strength. My main goals are to build upper body mass and gain strength as well
Post 1 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
Now?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Elminister private msg quote post Address this user
Why not? As with any routine, you can adapt PHAT to your needs. My goal with PHAT is to build up my legs, back and chest so I added more leg, back and chest exercises.

Just don't expect to build much muscle mass if you don't have your diet in check.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Lacedaemon private msg quote post Address this user
At age 17? You need to be 50 before starting it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
33 more years of Starting Strength it is!
:P
Post 5 IP   flag post
Layne Norton had smaller legs before he started a routine similar to P.H.A.T. If you want a balanced body, it is the way to go!
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Lacedaemon But just to point out for him, it's not the only way to go and there are plenty of other routines that are just as good
Post 7 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
I would say plenty is a stretch, it's at the top tier and there isn't ALOT of those.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Agree with both of yall, if he wants to even himself out, P.H.A.T. is the way to go
Post 9 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
i think a push/pull/legs or a split would be more beneficial
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1
i think a push/pull/legs or a split would be more beneficial

What is your opinion on focusing on one muscle group per day?
Post 11 IP   flag post
tarotale private msg quote post Address this user
hell ya dude PHAT is one of best programs out there imo
Post 12 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
when i do my real "building" phases, i like to group muscles together and stick to mostly compounds and then some isolation/assistance at the end..

when i gained alot of size my first 5 months back i ran this program which was similiar to PHAT but i never even heard of phat at the time

--

m- chest/delts/tris
t- squats/lunges/leg ext
w- off
t- delts/ abs
f- arms
s- back
s- cardio/abs

i used that split and kept to compounds for the most part and added isolation work in aswell.. went from 170lbs to 200lbs in 5 months (first dirty bulk)..
Post 13 IP   flag post
Interesting, interesting, just wanted your two cents as one of the forum's elite members!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Sorry my 17 year old brain cant keep up with this level of literal wit and sarcasm
Post 15 IP   flag post
Swayz87 private msg quote post Address this user
@OP....GET PHAT PHAGGOT!!!!

Also TAKE A FUGGIN MULTI AND LIFT FUGGIN HEAVY! PROFIT
Post 16 IP   flag post
Swayz87 private msg quote post Address this user
It will be the quickest way to gain BOTH strength and size. I would run it for like 6-8 weeks then switch it up to something else for 6-8 weeks depending on your goals, lagging body parts, etc.....
Post 17 IP   flag post
Scotian private msg quote post Address this user
At 17, just pick a program stick with it, work hard, eat lots, stay dedicated and you'll get results.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Thank you for the help everyone, as for off days, should i be looking to do my abs on the rest days?
Post 19 IP   flag post
leokozian private msg quote post Address this user
i do abs/calf/obliques/rest repeat maybe you could add that to your regular routine.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@Whitewalls unnecessary, just do a cpuple of heavy sets at the end of say a leg workout and that's it really, at 17 provuded you eat well and followa good programme your pretty much guaranteed to grow
Post 21 IP   flag post
Ahh i remember not curling at all on SS, my arms stayed noodles and i could only curl a 50 lb ez bar for a few reps, started curling for a few weeks now and my arms have grown and im at 70 lbs for 8-12. So would this be the same idea for abs? I do think they need a direct workout to get the most muscle out of em
Post 22 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
@Whitewalls I think your best bet is to stick with Strong Lifts (or similar) until your compound lifts are in the "intermediate" range on these charts - http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

But there are many paths to success. Find a routine that's fun so you can stick with it. Small bits of progress over a very long time is the key.

Oh, and a caloric surplus is a MUST to build mass and gain strength.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Thanks mike, im gonna continue with SS untill the summer if my bulk is succesful and come back to PHAT while cutting
Post 24 IP   flag post
KnifeHands private msg quote post Address this user
I love Cholula sauce. That is all, carry on.
Post 25 IP   flag post
340752 25 25
destitute