Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CuttingFemale FitnessNewbiePHATTraining Programs

Phat Question8869

Katatak private msg quote post Address this user
Hey so kind of a general question and a phat related question. Kind of a n00b to lifting (and first time posting on here!) and have been just making up my own program as I go. Currently cutting after a bulk and doing a three day split twice a week. But considering trying a five day split since I feel like I'm overtraining which in turn makes me not dedicate the attention I really need for the greatest results.

Current routine:
Day 1
Front squats, sldl's, leg press, one leg dl's, pull ups, dumbbell swing, calf raises, hang leg raises, cable sides

Day 2
Squats, sumo squats, cable kickbacks, leg extensions, leg curls, lunges, hang leg raises, hypers and sides

Day 3
Dl's, bench, cable row, bb row, lat pull down, bent over rows, skull crushers, pull ups, dips, ohp, and if I have time some other arm, chest, tri, accessory work

So yeah I know it's all over the place and then I go repeat this twice a week with a rest day= overtraining. My DL's are definitely suffering.

I've been considering trying a five day split and just realized how similar it is to the PHAT split just modified.

Day 1
Squats
Sumo squats
Leg extension
Cable kickbacks
Lunges
Leg curl
Hanging leg raises

Day 2
Deads
Leg press narrow and wide
Cable sides
Calves
Loaded hack squat press
Hyper

Day 3
Lat pull down
Pull ups
Chip ups
Bent over flys
Bb rows
Db rows
Cable rows? Or am I going to row away?
Ohp
Bench

Day 4
Front squats
Skull crushers
Drips
Lateral raises
Biceps
Shoulder press
Hang leg raises
Cable sides

Day 5
Sldl's
Chest press
One leg dl's
Dumbbell swing
Calves
Leg press narrow and wide

Day 6
Hot yoga!

Thoughts? Suggestions? Feedback? Critique?

Sorry for the long post y'all. Wish I could make a tl;dr.
Post 1 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
Curiosity compels me to ask what are "drips"?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Also the program has no rhyme or reason to it at all, has a lot of legs which is good but then nothing else seems to make a lick of sense.
Post 3 IP   flag post
KnifeHands private msg quote post Address this user
What's your goal? Also judging from avi you are female, correct?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Trying to lose bf, and yes female. Not focusing on chest or biceps. Btw not cutting from the picture weight, bulked over the winter and trying to cut. Competing has crossed my mind...
Post 5 IP   flag post
What makes you feel qualified to do out your own program?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Haha that's why I'm on here asking for help! And I usually base my program on how my body responds, right now not so good... I have considered going to a competition trainer recently since I did mention I am a n00b :-) but I have been in sports since I could walk so I do have good body awareness. But I do understand the importance of asking for advice from others that know better, so please thoughts, critique, feedback, suggestions!
Post 7 IP   flag post
I would advise something more like this;

Squats
Leg Press
Stiff Leg DL
Leg Extension
Hamstring Curls
Calf raises

Chin ups
Bent over Row
Shoulder Press
Lateral raises
Dips
Chest Press
Bicep Curls
Tricep Extensions

Deadlift
Lunges
Leg Press
Leg Extension
Hamstring Curls
Calf raises

Shoulder Press
Lateral Raises
Bent Over Row
Chin Ups
Bench press
Dips
Curls
Tricep extension

Rough outline, the way you have it just seems really unbalanced and chaotic.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Repeat first day for the last

Then start next week with day 3
Post 9 IP   flag post
Anef06 private msg quote post Address this user
Um... your routine seems all over the place :/. Personally if you can do legs 2 days in a row your probably not working them hard enough. I can barely walk the next day after leg training. Usually takes a good few days to recover. But that's just my 2 cents worth.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Thanks IrishGymSheep I liked your input on the routine. I particularly like splitting my DL's and squats just because those are my heaviest compounds and I can focus on those during those days.

Anef06, you're probably right in that I'm probably not maxing out yet. I'm still probably building up in my lifts, only about 1.5 body weight in DL's and 1.25 in squats. I've only been lifting since this fall But I do go hard in the gym, I promise.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Scotian private msg quote post Address this user
Irish's routine looks a lot better, give that a try!

Oh, and welcome!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Monster81 private msg quote post Address this user
I doubt you're overtraining in the true sense of the word, most likely just tiring yourself out. What's your diet like, kcals/macro breakdown?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Diet is 1500 cals, 40P/30C/30F. I was definitely tiring myself out with the three day split of squats/front squats + deadlifts/ straight leg dead lifts, but I wasn't sore to not go back for a second round that same week. The five day split will definitely give me the greatest results at this point I think.
Post 14 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Not nearly enough kcals,far too much protein, far too little carbs. How do you function on 112 g of carbs a day? That's training suicide. -3X
Post 15 IP   flag post
Monster81 private msg quote post Address this user
@OP, agree with @EK. Eat them carbs and you'll feel way more energetic. What are your stats that you're eating 1500 kcals? Pretty low IMO.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Anef06 private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah have a look at readjusting your diet (cals & carbs) like the guys have mentioned. Your cals seem a bit low and you will eventually burn out with low cals & low carbs. Irishgymsheep's routine for you looks pretty solid. Your probably not really over-training. Just need a solid routine and a better diet. Change those 2 things and you should see a huge improvement and energy level. Try sticking to it for awhile before attemtping to make any adjustments.

You can get some really good advice on these forums. I've picked up a few tips myself from just reading comments the guys leave for other people (don't post much) and I've been training for 6-7 years .

Good luck.
Post 17 IP   flag post
340621 17 17
destitute