Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
PHATTraining Programs

Just finished Layne's PHAT - what's next?885

Avk77 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi everyone,

I've just finished about 6-7 weeks of Layne Norton's PHAT program with good diet and saw some good gains in my lifts and some added size. I've plateaud on quite a few of the lifts and figure it's time to change things up.

My question is, does anyone have some tried/tested programs (by professionals or otherwise) that I could try out? I've done some searching but would like to see if there are some programs people on here have had results with.

A little bit of info about me:

151lbs, 5'10, 10% bf

Lifts:
Deadlift - 250x8
Flat Barbell bench - 205X1 (been 2 months since last tried)
Flat DB bench - 160x5
Squat - 195x5
Post 1 IP   flag post
Popeye25 private msg quote post Address this user
try anything for 6 weeks r so n then go back to it
Post 2 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
I would select one or two goals (e.g., 225x10 on flat bench) and design a custom workout to achieve this goal while maintaining your other lifts.

So - what mountain do you want to climb? Let us know and we'll help you figure something out.
Post 3 IP   flag post
max it will make u stronger. u might get to 22klb bench if u do the full program 4 12 weeks n then go back to phat
Post 4 IP   flag post
mikeew.
how can i make my program to get a lift up? like say if i wanted to bench 225 wud i do my chest once with vol n then at the end of week at beginning of my arm workout r sumtin do 5x5 on the bench(r deadlift r squat etc.)?
Post 5 IP   flag post
r like 3 sets 6 to 10 to failure at start of a random workout
Post 6 IP   flag post
Popeye, for chest I've had good luck with 5x5 sets or even 3x5 sets. I dedicate two workouts per week exclusively to chest. They're pretty short though (2-4 exercises per workout). For flat bench my focus is on:

- Form
- Speed (lots of warmups before starting the 5x5)
- Low reps, heavy weight

I'm 187 pounds and 1RM is 315.

If you want to improve your bench I would construct two short but high intensity chest workouts per week. I can help brainstorm a routine based on what I do if you want.
Post 7 IP   flag post
well i was thinkin for the heavy lifts like squats deadlifts n bench i could do them heavier and lower reps then pthers.
like for chest id start off with an excersize n do like 4 to 8 r maybe 6 to 10 reps to failiure 4 sets n then move on to higher volume.

i never do flat barbell press i always use dbs but 2mz im gonna start cus i can slowly ioncrease the weight with barbell.

like for 6 weeks il do ;
back
chest
legs
off
arms
off
shoulders
but at end of arm workout do either deadlift squat r bench. il choose bench for 6 weeks then switch to dl r squat n switch up the routine to suit this.
just 3 to 4 sets at beginning of arm workout of 4 r 6 to 10 reps to failure just to get that exxtra strength day.
thoughts?
Post 8 IP   flag post
but ya show me what u do n il consider that too
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye25
like for chest id start off with an excersize n do like 4 to 8 r maybe 6 to 10 reps to failiure 4 sets n then move on to higher volume.

Nah man - don't hit failure point, then move to higher volume on the same exercise. Makes no sense. Keep it simple: warm up --> 5x5 where last set is a struggle.

Quote:
i never do flat barbell press i always use dbs but 2mz im gonna start cus i can slowly ioncrease the weight with barbell.

Good idea. Gotta get the flat bench barbell press into the mix.

Your split looks good. It's very similar to mine. Only difference is that I combine shoulders and back which frees up a day to do a second chest workout. I do this because I want a really strong bench.

It doesn't make sense to add a major compound lift to the end of a workout. Do this when fresh.
Post 10 IP   flag post
no i meant higher vol on different excersize
eg;bb bench heavy low reps
then incline db decline db n flat db 8 to 12 reps n maybe finish with flys
Post 11 IP   flag post
"It doesn't make sense to add a major compound lift to the end of a workout. Do this when fresh."

to what r u refering to hear?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
no i meant higher vol on different excersize
eg;bb bench heavy low reps
then incline db decline db n flat db 8 to 12 reps n maybe finish with flys

Ahh, okay. Yeah, that approach makes sense to me. For non-compound lifts or machine work I usually do 1 set with high time under tension (5 seconds down, 5 sec up). This provides a good burn in half the time of doing several regular sets. Try using TuT and you'll see what I mean. This approach makes for very efficient work outs.

Quote:
"It doesn't make sense to add a major compound lift to the end of a workout. Do this when fresh."

to what r u refering to hear?

Above you said you were considering tacking on a compound lift to the end of your arms workout. This idea doesn't appeal to me because in theory your arms should be pretty wiped out by then. I prefer to do the most challenging exercises when fresh to optimize performance. That's just me though... pros might think/act differently.
Post 13 IP   flag post
340762 13 13
destitute