Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestSplit Advice

Chest twice a week?8716

novitec private msg quote post Address this user
Hey I was wondering I wanted to train chest twice a week, but really wanted to know what type of split to do with this because my chest is lagging. My personal opinion...

i'm 17 years old been lifting for 8 months , can anyone recommend me what splits to do?

here is how my current routine go (Monday - Friday) weekends is rest

monday - chest
tuesday - back
wednesday - legs
thursday - shoulder/traps
friday - bicep/tricep
Post 1 IP   flag post
sriram private msg quote post Address this user
This gives you a split that hits everything twice http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

Do you have to rest on weekends?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sriram
This gives you a split that hits everything twice http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

Do you have to rest on weekends?

do I have to do all the excercises listed? cause i don't think my gym has some of the machines required
Post 3 IP   flag post
drakula private msg quote post Address this user
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/4_weeks_to_a_bigger_chest
Post 4 IP   flag post
Damon1962 private msg quote post Address this user
I didn't open the links, but my 2 cents:

Monday/Thursday - Chest & Triceps

Tuesday/Friday - Back/Traps & Legs

Wednesday - Shoulders & Biceps
Post 5 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
Upper/Lower split twice a week.

Do an extra set of chest and put chest at the start of your upper day workouts.

Here is Lyle Mcdonalds outline

Mon: Lower
Squat: 3-4X6-8/3′ (3-4 sets of 6-8 with a 3′ rest)
SLDL or leg curl: 3-4X6-8/3′
Leg press: 2-3X10-12/2′
Another leg curl: 2-3X10-12/2′
Calf raise: 3-4X6-8/3′
Seated calf: 2-3X10-12/2′

Tue: Upper
Flat bench: 3-4X6-8/3′
Row: 3-4X6-8/3′
Incline bench or shoulder press: 2-3X10-12/2′
Pulldown/chin: 2-3X10-12/2′
Triceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5′
Biceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5′

For the Thu/Fri workouts either repeat the first two or make some slight exercise substitutions. Can do deadlift/leg press combo on Thu, switch incline/pulldown to first exercises on upper body day. A lot depends on volume tolerance, if the above is too much, go to 2-3X6-8 and 1-2X10-12
Post 6 IP   flag post
i am gonna try damon1962 split suggestion, until i am ready for PHAT...

for back/legs same day ? squats and deadlift will eat me
Post 7 IP   flag post
Monster81 private msg quote post Address this user
PPL routine will let you hit everything twice. Check out the main page for some routines, PHAT is pretty popular around here. I run a PPL twice a week.
Post 8 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by novitec

Back and Legs on the same day is absolutely ridiculous - they are the two biggest muscle groups.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
@novitec if you've been training 8months its likely that everything is lagging, just keep training hard and evenly and your physique will develope nicely
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian12
Quote:

Back and Legs on the same day is absolutely ridiculous - they are the two biggest muscle groups.

You can do back and legs together and not be ridiculous about it by doing squats on tuesday and deadlifts on fridays and your other lifts would be supplementary lifts. You don't have to do all of the back/leg lifts each day; split your lifts.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Agree with @brian, not ideal to do both back and legs on the same day, and no point giving biceps and shoulders really their own day, as those muscle groups are small and the volume does not need to be as high to get them growing.

Again, I suggest a Push Pull Legs routine. If you're concerned with not being ready for PHAT, the PPL volume will get you used to it. As for deads and squats, on 1 of the 2 leg days, make one or the other your primary lift and destroy it. Then on the second leg day do the other lift. Make the rest of your leg workout accesory lifts.

Bis and tris get hit well on back and chest days respectively, and your shoulders are accessory to your chest movements and all three groups can be finished off with a few exercises and all three muscle groups will benefit without extreme volume.
Post 12 IP   flag post
pandasashi private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

probly the worst one you could try lol
Post 13 IP   flag post
and guys, he's in the very beggining of his lifting life, phat and things like that are quite advanced and would be hard for a begginer...just stick to the simple basics for a few more months
Post 14 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
Yea dude you've been lifting for 8 months. Just keep growing overall.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@pandasashi @Monster81

Biceps and Shoulders on a single day is fine, because as you implied, it doesn't need twice a week attention.

Back and Legs can be done on the same day if you follow criteria given by Jim Wendler and Bill Starr. Like I stated previously, you don't do heavy squats and heavy deads on both days.

I followed a routine similar to this and had no problem building a bench press and squat and deadlift well over 350 pounds at a body weight of 185. When you degrade this routine, what practical experience are you speaking, and how can you assume to know more than Wendler and Starr.
Post 16 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
^^strength routines and hypertrophy routines are not the same though. It's not an issue of knowing more or less than these guys, it's a different approach. Hypertrophy routines generally contain much higher volume, so legs and back on the same day may not be appropriate. -3X
Post 17 IP   flag post
those lifts arent even double bodyweight, they would be much higher if instead of "not going heavy on squats and deads" , you broke them up properly and did go heavy on them
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon1962
@pandasashi @Monster81

Biceps and Shoulders on a single day is fine, because as you implied, it doesn't need twice a week attention.

Back and Legs can be done on the same day if you follow criteria given by Jim Wendler and Bill Starr. Like I stated previously, you don't do heavy squats and heavy deads on both days.

I followed a routine similar to this and had no problem building a bench press and squat and deadlift well over 350 pounds at a body weight of 185. When you degrade this routine, what practical experience are you speaking, and how can you assume to know more than Wendler and Starr.

Ok, well, first off, I'm not degrading your routine. If that's what you want to run, then run it. What I'm stating is that routine has triceps as an accessory to his chest workout, so there could be some imbalance by running biceps by themselves with shoulders. IMO there is no point, and that shoulder/bi day is wasted I the sense that a "smarter" routine can be used.

Secondly, deads and squats can still be performed on the same leg day, and you can do both strength and hypertrophy training with those lifts if you split them properly. The OP feels his chest is the lagging body part, so I feel no need to give biceps and shoulders their own day. It was just my suggestion that a PPL routine will help out because he can lower the volume on parts he feel are overwhelming yet still hammer his lagging muscles. Without leaving anything out.
Post 19 IP   flag post
hey guys thanks for the input, I'm trying to bulk up to 200lb+, then cut to low BF at 180-190lbs. So is PPL the best for me to do?

also my bulking diet is getting a bit old been eating samething for 2 months straight any advice on how to overcome this issue?

this community is so much better then bodybuilding
Post 20 IP   flag post
340734 20 20
destitute