Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
PHATProgress PicsProgress UpdateTraining Programs

My 5 months PHAT progress pictures8682

cardinal private msg quote post Address this user
As I'm coming to the end of my cut, I thought it would be good to post some progress pictures. Those who read my log will know I'm running PHAT, but if you don't read my log, well, I'm on PHAT.

In addition to my pictures my core lifts have gone from:

Deadlift: 440 lbs x 1 to 400lbs x 6 ( I don't do one rep maxes really anymore due to previous injuries)

Squat: 415 lbs x 1 to 440 lbs x 1

Bench: 265 lbs x 1 to 265 lbs x 3

SO how am I looking. Can I also get a bf% estimate. According to measurements I'm around 10 - 11%. It's hard to tell though as I have underdeveloped abs and I'm a pasty white boy. Have strong muscle visibility everywhere else it seems.

Before Relaxed:

Now Relaxed:

Now Tensed:

Now most muscular 1:

Now most muscular 2:

Post 1 IP   flag post
johon6 private msg quote post Address this user
holy shit, what a difference !!!! serious changes there in looks and in strength
Post 2 IP   flag post
@johon6 Cheers bro. It's amazing how this whole fitness thing is one of continuous growth. 2 years ago I weighed 195 lbs and could squat about 315 lbs. I thought I knew it all and that big was best. It's really since coming to simply shredded in the summer, switching of a purely strength training programme onto something like PHAT and getting my diet in check that I've noticed to feel and see so many great changes.

Feels really good to start finding my stride after so long of trying to get big and strong without the base knowledge. Informed growth= good growth!
Post 3 IP   flag post
so time period, what's that over ? just 5 months !!! that's HUGE !
Post 4 IP   flag post
The first picture is me mid-late September and the current ones were taken today. In that time period I've done one 14 week bulk cycle and I'm currently cutting down to start it all over again. I'm particularly surprised with how PHAT helped strength too. I know everyone here loves PHAT so its a bit cliche but I've seen the same results on 5 months of PHAT which other programmes have taken years to deliver.I really cannot recommend it enough.
Post 5 IP   flag post
i'm starting a ''version'' of PHAT as of sunday with RJ mentoring me, so really looking forward to it tbh
but that is a massive difference for 5 months !
Post 6 IP   flag post
Anyone got any thoughts on a bf %? Does 10% seem accurate?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Also forgot to add my weight as of a week ago was around 168.5 lbs. In the first picture I weigh around 162 lbs I believe.
Post 8 IP   flag post
KOKOROKO private msg quote post Address this user
Wow that gains!
Awesome!!!!!!!!
Keep it up man
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thor private msg quote post Address this user
Great stuff.

10% is probably about right. It looks like your abs are a little underdeveloped which is why they don't show quite as much - do you do any specific ab exercises?

I know what it's like being white and pasty though, you don't look half as cut.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Thor
Since I've started PHAT I've thrown in on average 2 aB exercises 3 x a week. Compared to how underdeveloped my core was prior I've noticed a real difference but I'm going to try and add more stuff in so I'm doing 9 sets of core per week.

If I'm being honest I was a bit clueless with core stuff up until November, wasting my time on bodyweight crunches, leg raises and the like. I now do a lot more weighted work and I've noticed it a ton since December.

Again, before I came here, I bought into the myth that squats, deadlifts ect alone will work your core adequately. Feel so stupid for believing this for so long. Yes abs are a lot about nutrition but it's clear to me now they need to be trained like any other muscle, directly! I'm going to keep cutting for roughly another two weeks I feel, make sure I'm well within the 10% margin and take it from there. Cannot put into words how much I'm looking forward to being able to eat more than 1800 kcal per day again!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thedude67 private msg quote post Address this user
Badass gains bro! Post your weekly split...
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Thedude67 Cheers man.

I'm curentlly doing my own variant of PHAT which throws in elements of 5/3/1 on the compounds. Looks a little like this:

Wednesday Lower Body Power

Squats (heavy)
Bulgarian split squats
Leg Press
Stiff leg deads
Leg extensions or hamstring curls
Supporting oblique work
supporting ab work
supporting ab work

Thursday Upper body power

Bench (heavy)
Weighted pull ups
weighted chins
Wheighted tricep dips
Overhead Press
Skull Crushers
Either throw in bent over rows or lat pull down, normally the latter as I find bent over rows have a tendency to over train my back.

Friday 20-30 mins moderate cardio

Saturday Back and shoulder hypertrophy

Bent over rows over hand
Bent over rows under hand
Pull ups
Lat pull down
Cable rope pulls
Upright rows
Iso push press or military press
Lateral raises
Front raises
Shoulder shrugs if I'm feeling up to it.
Supporting oblique work
supporting ab work
supporting ab work

Sunday Leg hypertrophy

Actually do my heavy sumo deadlifts on this day, despite the fact its hypertrophy as they fit in best here.
Heavyish box squats (normally 6-8 rep range)
Leg press (12+ reps)
Leg extensions
Hamstring curls
Glute push through
Supporting oblique work
supporting ab work
supporting ab work

Monday Chest and arms hypertrophy

Bench heavy (never do hypertrophy flat bench to be honest)
Incline bench
Hammer press
Decline bench (12+ rep range done at speed)
Tricep rope pull down
Super set tricep pull down with straight bar, mixing between front and reverse grips
Barbell curls or EZ bar curls, really enjoy the former more right now.
Cable curls.
Forearm curls.

Tuesday 20-30 mins of moderate cardio. Should also be noted on all day except lower body power I do 10 mins of cardio prior to lifting. Find it helps me reach my macro targets and gets my blood going a bit. To lose 1 lb of weight a week I'm on around 1600 kcals. Sadly my body sucks at losing weight so I really have to cut calories. Makes me sad when I see people complain about only being able to take in 2000 calories per day on a cut. What I would give to be able to lose weight on that..
Post 13 IP   flag post
kospel private msg quote post Address this user
Holy shit how can you go so low-cals?! There must be something wrong then An average little tiny girl has BMI more than 1600kcals.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Dukenhiemer private msg quote post Address this user
1600 calls to cut??? You weigh just a little less than I do and I've been losing weight on 2800-2900 calories.
Now eating 3-3.3k trying to bulk.
So jealous. Lol. Fuark.
Post 15 IP   flag post
kospel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukenhiemer
1600 calls to cut??? You weigh just a little less than I do and I've been losing weight on 2800-2900 calories.
So jealous. Lol. Fuark.

Cutting @2900kcal is an another extremity I've been eating 2200kcal daily and losing max 1 lbs/week. Lifting 6 times a week and cardio at least three times a week. My body-weight is 173 lbs and aiming for 165.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukenhiemer
So jealous. Lol. Fuark.

Swap places with me please haha. It's pretty mental I know, no justifiable reason why it should be that low as well. I swam at a national level until I was 15 so you would think my metabolism would be naturally high. Sadly the only way weight seems to budge is through fairly ridiculous deficits. Makes it worse when I can only bulk on 2300- 2600 calories. Literally below the average man’s maintenance.

@kospel That's just the way it is for me. I was tempted to get to around 160 lbs which I calculated would put me at around 8% bf. I asked myself the question of whether I wanted to eat 1400 kcals a day though, the answer was no, no way. Surprisingly I don't really suffer from low energy or anything. I'm very active and never feel tired except in the evenings. The hunger is a bigger issue, I feel hungry a lot but I don't know, it could be worse. You just adapt after a while.
Post 17 IP   flag post
when i followed ridiculously low carb i was getting around 1600 claories a day and was CONSTANTLY hungry, it was horid, i was tired, kept getting headaches, all sort !
Post 18 IP   flag post
@johon6
I was getting that too when i tried cutting near enough all carbs. I actually followed the advice of some people on here and upped the carb intake whilst reducing fat intake. I now feel fuller and feel my weight loss is better. I've also found reducing sugar helps too. I used to have a lot more fructus sugar too but noticed it gave me really low energy levels. Basically swapped out an apple for some oats which I mix into my yogurt and I noticed a huge difference. For those interested, this is what my 1600 calorie diet looks like. Should also be noted I'm on a net calorie goal of 1.6k. Therefore I eat around 1.9k but burn 300 kcals via daily activity:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/JRKWebb
Post 19 IP   flag post
340621 19 19
destitute