Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CalvesLegsPHATProgress Pics

Stubbon calves8588

leokozian private msg quote post Address this user
I work em out twice a week with PHAT. Nothing. Any advice on how to get them to grow.
Post 1 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
try higher reps.. get the blood flowing.. Some people got theirs by just running.
Post 2 IP   flag post
leokozian private msg quote post Address this user
Dude i played soccer growing up and i was on track for 2 years back in high school. it just never developed :/
Post 3 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
Try slow Isolated controlled movement. Dont do it like your in a hurry.. FULL range..

But if its genetics.. we cannot do anything about it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
shannowman private msg quote post Address this user
Never use genetics as an excuse. Just look at layne's legs. There's nothing you can't overcome with proper application and time.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Elminister private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by leokozian
Dude i played soccer growing up and i was on track for 2 years back in high school. it just never developed :/

Dunno, man. I religiously played soccer back in high school and my calves were huge. Then I had a 5 year break and now I've grown them back in couple of months. Muscle memory for the win.

Try standing calve raises superset with seated calve raises. Raise it explosively, then lower it slowly. 15 reps each. Make it hurt.
Post 6 IP   flag post
shannowman private msg quote post Address this user
A few guys got results doing 100 body weight calf raises a day as well as hitting them in the gym. There was an article about it somewhere. On t nation maybe.
Post 7 IP   flag post
simongower private msg quote post Address this user
^^ this, I did these for over a month and got great results
Post 8 IP   flag post
AarronStenner private msg quote post Address this user
your calves have the least estorgren or testosterone receptors; one of them anyway so they will always grow slower but whats helped me is doing 100 reps everyday of slow calf raises in the shower, i also do calf work on my leg days.
Post 9 IP   flag post
LVjack private msg quote post Address this user
Do sets of calves everyday between your sets of other exercises. In other words super set them in every day. One day heavier and low reps the next day higher reps.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AarronStenner
your calves have the least estorgren or testosterone receptors;

Where did you come across this info? I have not heard this before. -3X

Edit- never mind; Lyle has some things about AR density in calves. Good info, Aaron!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Its from the weakbody parts vid I posted, Ian said youl find someone who goes on the juice, shoulders and traps are the first to grow due to more receptors or something, could you link the study Lyle done so I can read up and be a bit more accurate haha
Post 12 IP   flag post
sriram private msg quote post Address this user
"The long, deeper calf muscle, the soleus, keeps you upright all day and is correspondingly close to 90% slow twitch, so don’t bother with low reps!" (Henselmans, Menno: http://www.simplyshredded.com/muscle-specific-hypertrophy-biceps-back-and-legs-by-menno-henselmans.html)

The biggest calves I've seen on non-bodybuilders are on bikers. So try long-distance biking if you're doing cardio already.
Post 13 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AarronStenner
Its from the weakbody parts vid I posted, Ian said youl find someone who goes on the juice, shoulders and traps are the first to grow due to more receptors or something, could you link the study Lyle done so I can read up and be a bit more accurate haha

Wow, I had no idea of the science behind why juicers tend to achieve those "roid delts" and you can spot them pretty quickly.
Post 14 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
@AarronStenner

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/training-the-calves.html

-3X
Post 15 IP   flag post
Thanks mate!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Mazz private msg quote post Address this user
All of the above is great advice, but I would also get a pair of Vibram Five Fingers and use them when doing your cardio. They force you to change your running gait and you'll really be running more on your forefoot, really working the calves. Ask anyone you see with a pair what it's done for their calves.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Thedude67 private msg quote post Address this user
I have small stubborn calves also. I watched a vid about Arnold and he said he used to also? He started training them 6 days a week with heavy weight and then, boom! Well, I started do'n the same thing and they've had a good response! They're still small, but they have definition now and they're growing, so just hit'em up often with heavy weight, they'll get there....
Post 18 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
I've justed added more cardio and I really get a huge pump on the treadmill. Hopefully they will blow up after consistent running plus weight calf raises.
Post 19 IP   flag post
340762 19 19
destitute