Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Markovich private msg quote post Address this user
When doing bench press, Im I suppose to touch my chest, or stop when my albows are in 90 degree's?
If I go past 90 degrees, is the shoulder injury risk higher?
Post 1 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
Do not be one of those guys who stop 1-4" before touching my man
Post 2 IP   flag post
But does this have anything with injury risk?

And I also started using some boards lately and they make the bar stop anything from 3-8 cm off my chest?
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markovich
When doing bench press, Im I suppose to touch my chest, or stop when my albows are in 90 degree's?
If I go past 90 degrees, is the shoulder injury risk higher?

Yes. Much. The shoulder joint is designed to load and de-load. The position of most instability for the glenohumeral joint is when the humerus is in line with the body. If the bar it stopped before contact with the body, particularly when the bar is a fist or so from the chest, then the shoulder is part way through a loading phase and at the position of least stability. Reversing the movement here places the MOST stress on the shoulders, inadequately utilizes the pressing muscles and should therefore never be advised. Lowering the bar until contact with the chest, on the other hand, evenly distributes the joint loads and fully activates the critical muscles to perform the lift and should be the only technique used for the bench press. In short, you are at greater risk of injury by NOT going full ROM. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
I was suprised because when I hit my last pr (90 KG) all the way down and up (no boards). Then I used boards (8 cm) I could get 85 up for 3-5 reps.
Should I use boards on all my heavy bench lifts? So that I don't have to stop the bar myself (EK said this is not good for joints in another tread)
Post 5 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
Obviously you will be able to lift more with a board, same as squatting more with a box or that you can lift more in elevated deadlifts. It's not the "real" lift. Also, what EK said obviously.

You will however have to make sure your pecs arent too tight or whatever its called, "un-stretched" because then you will fuck your shoulders up.
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@Markovich I would use boards or the floor if you do partials. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
EK, have you ever done lockouts using a power rack, or any of these exercises:

dead bench

pinpress
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I've done pin presses, board presses, and DB presses lying on the floor. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
Alright! All good exercises I suppose, but I have something against floorpressing that I dont know where its coming from^^
Post 10 IP   flag post
340752 10 10
destitute