Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestNewbieTraining Programs

strong lifts, Mehdi's 5X5?8287

Keelan2010 private msg quote post Address this user
anyone heard of this 5X5 program? If so, good or bad?

any 5X5 programs you guys would reccomend?

also, if you were to chest press 50kg dumbells in each hand for 5 reps, would it be wrong to assume you could barbell chest press 100kg for 5?

cheers
Post 1 IP   flag post
Markovich private msg quote post Address this user
That is not right. If you take 50 KG dumbell in each hand then you can probably benchpress more than 100 KG x5
I can benchpress 90 KG, but only get 30 KG DB's for a few reps :/
Huge gap :/
So you usually bench more with a barbell, then dumbells
Post 2 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
5x5 is as common on kolozzeum as PHAT is here. Funny how things can change like that from forum to forum
Post 3 IP   flag post
BaiTu private msg quote post Address this user
I think that Mehdi's Stronglifts 5 by 5 program is solid. It worked for me. I got bigger and stronger.
Post 4 IP   flag post
ionatan private msg quote post Address this user
Great program, I am cutting and I've put 20lbs on my bench, 15lbs on my overhead press, 25lbs on barbell rows. Squats and deadlifts increase in weights in every session.

Make sure you have perfect form on every exercise, as you go up in weights you may get too confident and believe you can take on more weight but the problem is that you may sacrifice form, so be patient, its a great program if you want good results in strength and hypertrophy.

If you doubt the fact that there isn't any isolation exercices for biceps triceps, calves abs, rear delts, trust me, the exercises in the 5x5 program are compound exercices that involve every muscle group.

Yasterday, I did workout A which consists of -> squats, bench press and bent over rows, not only my back, chest and legs are sore, but my biceps triceps, calves and abs are sore.

I strongly encourage this program if you wanna put on strength and gain mass.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keelan2010
anyone heard of this 5X5 program? If so, good or bad?

any 5X5 programs you guys would reccomend?

also, if you were to chest press 50kg dumbells in each hand for 5 reps, would it be wrong to assume you could barbell chest press 100kg for 5?

cheers

Oh and I do the stronglifts 5x5 program.

Workout A
front squats 5x5
Bench press 5x5
Bent Over rows 5x5

Workout B
Front squats 5x5
overhead press 5x5
deadlifts 1x5
Post 6 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
I really don't like the program it's really unremarkable.

And for the longest time I could DB press more than I could BB bench.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishGymSheep
I really don't like the program it's really unremarkable.

And for the longest time I could DB press more than I could BB bench.

You may think the program is unremarkable because you don't get mad pumps when performing any of the exercises, it is not designed for that.
Post 8 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
You usually need to include both DB and BB if you want to have a higher BB # then DB, not for everyone obviously. But of course if you do mostly BB for an extended time then your DB # may not reflect what you're capable of. And the opposite. And some people are more mechanically accurate in BB movements then in their DB counterpart.
Post 9 IP   flag post
No i think it's an unremarkable program because it is unremarkable.

You do very little volume, you progress in an accountancy styled linear fashion and it is incredibly boring, it isn't a program designed for people who like to work out it is designed for the average Joe who wants to get a bit stronger and look a little less shit.

The only progression is weight you change no other training parameters.
So once you stall your entire progress has stalled, I think it's a poorly planned simple and boring way to work out.
Also very poor for athletes since all it does is work on a one part of the whole picture.

It simply doesn't stack up to the workouts out there, Phat, Westside, DC it is literally the most bog standard boring routine there is.
Post 10 IP   flag post
BaiTu private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
you progress in an accountancy styled linear fashion

What does this mean? You progress in an "accountancy styled linear fashion"?

How else do you ever progress?

A parabolic fashion?

Superhuman-like leaps and bounds?

a Pythagorean fashion?

I did Stronglifts 5 by 5 and I progressed and then I switched to the Wendler 5-3-1 but the progression was still pretty simply and straightforward.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaiTu
Quote:

A parabolic fashion?

a Pythagorean fashion?

I did Stronglifts 5 by 5 and I progressed and then I switched to the Wendler 5-3-1 but the progression was still pretty simply and straightforward.

Non linearly nice attempt at trying to make fun of my point I will now explain in detail since you did not grasp it.

You increase in an unplanned way, like having max out day, a max number of reps with a certain weight, a max weight for a certain number of reps. You go into the gym and the workout you are meant to hit is not already chosen for you.
The progress is decided by you and your ability rather than by the program.

In other routines you progress across the board and are generally trying to progress in a lot of things at once, in things like 5x5 you are just looking to add 2.5 pounds every time, next 2.5 next 2.5 next 2.5.
So as soon as you don't add 2.5 you are not progressing.

Take something like PHAT, you are simultaneously trying to increase weight lifted, but also progress in reps, time under tension and it isn't linearly planned. if you fail to progress in one aspect that is not such a big deal since you are still progressing.

Also take into account how we generally react to training and stimulus it's a terrible idea to treat your body like its a clockwork machine that is always going to progress the same amount week by week.

In short it is a very average way to train, it simply isn't as complex or adaptive as other training.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaiTu
Quote:

A parabolic fashion?

a Pythagorean fashion?

Non linearly nice attempt at trying to make fun of my point I will now explain in detail since you did not grasp it.

You increase in an unplanned way, like having max out day, a max number of reps with a certain weight, a max weight for a certain number of reps. You go into the gym and the workout you are meant to hit is not already chosen for you.
The progress is decided by you and your ability rather than by the program.

In other routines you progress across the board and are generally trying to progress in a lot of things at once, in things like 5x5 you are just looking to add 2.5 pounds every time, next 2.5 next 2.5 next 2.5.
So as soon as you don't add 2.5 you are not progressing.

Take something like PHAT, you are simultaneously trying to increase weight lifted, but also progress in reps, time under tension and it isn't linearly planned. if you fail to progress in one aspect that is not such a big deal since you are still progressing.

Also take into account how we generally react to training and stimulus it's a terrible idea to treat your body like its a clockwork machine that is always going to progress the same amount week by week.

In short it is a very average way to train, it simply isn't as complex or adaptive as other training.

On stronglifts 5x5, you add 2.5lb each time if you can, If you can't you don't add it. But the next time you're going to do the same exercise, you try adding 2.5, and progressively add weight, what you think that you should be adding weight and progressing every day?
Post 13 IP   flag post
You should be progressing across multiple things not just weight added and the weight added should not be so linear.

I've put it pretty simply come on.
Post 14 IP   flag post
340762 14 14
destitute