Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ArmsChestSplit AdviceTeenTraining Programs

lagging arms/chest8150

KingLeonidasXIV private msg quote post Address this user
ive come to the conclusion that of my overall body composition, i lag greatly with my arms, and my chest.Currently im doing a 4 day split and yes, i do compound movements for the specific body part days. Im wondering how i can go about bringing these body parts up to par. Its really pissing me off of the fact that my arms are only 14.5 inches at my current 5'10 180 pound stature. Please give suggestions, im all eyes (because this is a forum, i cannot hear things) .
Post 1 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Well......... Once I realized I had lagging calfs I made it a point to train them when I am fresh. I realized that my program I had them at the end when I was tired. When I trained them fresh I did weight I normally didn't do... BOOM they were not lagging with in 3 weeks. Now that might not be the case for this situation but maybe you can take away to train the muscle fresh.... Also I added a lot more volume to my lagging calfs... SO maybe more volume for you
Post 2 IP   flag post
Dexdbest private msg quote post Address this user
Doing all my chest work on incline did wonders for my chest developement. So id suggest you try that, swayz and ek are scarce so i can make that incline comment without staarting a forum war
Post 3 IP   flag post
doug_h private msg quote post Address this user
for arms ive found that dedicated a day just to arms has worked well, especially when supersetting bi's and tri's
Post 4 IP   flag post
Crypt private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe try FST-7 training program for your arms, I personally didnt see much of a difference when I tried it but I have heard other people did.
To be honest, everyones bodies are stimulated differently, maybe try low rep ranges and heavy for a month, then try more volume the next month and see how it goes? Trial and error.
Post 5 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
I've heard of lagging arms and lagging chest independently, but never both at once. Maybe you just need more time to grow overall.
Post 6 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwoleAnimal
I've heard of lagging arms and lagging chest independently, but never both at once. Maybe you just need more time to grow overall.

This.
Post 7 IP   flag post
pandasashi private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_h
for arms ive found that dedicated a day just to arms has worked well, especially when supersetting bi's and tri's

imo, superseting bis and tris is a dumb thing to do. just do one at a time. if you do a set of bi, then a set of tri, your bis are resting for too long between sets and vice versa. sticking to one at a time will up the intesity on both muscles and give you better results. and after doing a set, jumping into another set right away (even tho its a diff muscle) is no good cuz ur already tired from the first so you wont be as productive.
Post 8 IP   flag post
BaiTu private msg quote post Address this user
King Leonidas, how old are you?

Judging by your posts so far, I'm going to guess that everything is lagging.

My advice: Eat, lift, sleep and be patient.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Disagree with the supersetting comment. Many greats reccomend supersetting antagonist muscle groups and its worked well for me too
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexdbest
Disagree with the supersetting comment. Many greats reccomend supersetting antagonist muscle groups and its worked well for me too

what is the advantage of supersetting 2different muscles? Doing a set of tri after a set of bis doesnt do anything to further beat up the bis..
Post 11 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_h

@pandasashi Seperate arm days are awesome! If you don't then they become a secondary muscle to whatever, back, chest, and do not get the full amount of volume they could be getting if worked on their own. And like @Dexdbest said, they are antagonist muscle groups so supersets are a great pump.

But I would highly recommend switching which exercises you start with every other workout on arm days. Ex. Bicep exercises first then triceps exercises second. Then next arm day alternate. Triceps the biceps. And antagonist supersets at the very end of a workout and leave feeling like you have two elementary school children hanging onto your shoulders as you leave the gym.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandasashi
Quote:

what is the advantage of supersetting 2different muscles? Doing a set of tri after a set of bis doesnt do anything to further beat up the bis..

You will already have a great amount of blood flow to your arms from the first half of the superset (SS) so switching right away to a muscle group nearby will add to the pump even more because once your bi's fail you continue the pumping of large amounts of blood to the arms by switching to tri's, a muscle that is not at failure but primed and ready to go.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Drop sets work very well too.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@kickinchicken, yes, arm days are important, i never said i didnt agree with that part. and yes, its good for a pump but are you there to have a good pump or to workout to the highest level of efficiency? i do all of bis, then, in the same day, do all of triceps. you can move more weight with better form because you're not as tired.
nothing against dropsets tho, especially for forearms (worst pain in the world)
Post 15 IP   flag post
@pandasashi I totally agree with you. But like I said, I recommend SSing at the end of a workout. And your muscles don't notice what weight you're using, they only recognize resistance levels. So moving a heavier weight does not necessarily mean greater muscle development. Then there's PHAT. You have your hypertrophy "pump" days, then you have your power days. Together you get a mean combo. Big, quality muscles and very usable strength at the same time. But if all you're looking for is size, and I'm not sure what @KingLeonidasXIV's goals are but he says he wants more mass at the moment, then supersets could very well help. And you can control supersets too. It's just a a bit more difficult.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Try this for awhile.
Barbell curls or bicep rows supersetted with standing tricep extensions in a 10 x 10 format and you will see the benefits of supersetting. Just try it as an experiment. Gives the muscle this full, wide, 3d feel
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Try this for awhile.
Barbell curls or bicep rows supersetted with standing tricep extensions in a 10 x 10 format and you will see the benefits of supersetting. Just try it as an experiment. Gives the muscle this full, wide, 3d feel

no dumbell work? no skullcrushers? i dont care about a huge pump, im not there to look good in my cutoff, im usually covered anyways. no exercise will make you more full/wide/"3D"...thats genetics' job to determine. i kill my arms every arm day and they are by far one of my strong points, i dont need to try a less effective workout
Post 18 IP   flag post
340762 18 18
destitute