Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
LOLMisc.Supplements

My dad threw my creatine into the toilet :(8148

Damon1962 private msg quote post Address this user
@DFMaster240

Charge it to his heart, not his mind. Dad's intent is to protect you so just let it go for now. Creatine is pretty great, but it's not a game changer. Just cycle off for a few months and then try again with a new approach with dad.
Post 26 IP   flag post
In4gainZ private msg quote post Address this user
Creatine is not a big deal at all, especially for a novice like you, start taking it when you are turning 18
Post 27 IP   flag post
DFMaster240 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Sorry to spoil your fun, but dad was right on this one. I know of at least a couple of cases of adolescents taking creatine and it causing kidney disease. At 16 your kidneys are still developing, so they can either grow and develop naturally or work overtime trying to filter out all that extra creatinine. There's a reason the label says "over 18." There's also a reason NJ tried to pass legislation that you had to be over 18 to buy it and that the NCAA no longer allows coaches to give it to college athletes. If they could test for it they would. -3X

Oh SHIT! Are you seriou EK!!!? Damn guys who's right? EK or the rest of you guys.hmmmmm
Post 28 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I'm shocked that you even need to ask that! I can look up the clinical cases if you're interested. I think I have at least one bookmarked. -3X
Post 29 IP   flag post
Dirkenhiemer private msg quote post Address this user
Would you mind linking those cases?
Post 30 IP   flag post

WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight what about me? 18 in 5 months, none of the ones i've bought have that on the label
Post 31 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
"In an otherwise healthy adolescent, intestitial nephritis (ie., kidney disease) developed when supplementing with creatine. Improvement of kidney function followed avoidance of creatine" (Koshy KM, Griswold E, Schneeberger EE. Interstitial nephritis in a patient taking creatine. New England Journal of Medicine 1999; 340: 814-5.).
"Still, there are some disturbing individual reports of kidney problems in some users. Interstitial nephritis, a serious kidney condition, developed in an otherwise healthy young man supplementing with 20 grams of creatine per day.17 Improvement in kidney function followed discontinuation of creatine, suggesting that creatine supplementation was the cause of this man's kidney disease." (Pritchard NR, Kaira PA. Renal dysfunction accompanying oral creatine supplements. Lancet 1998; 351:1252-3.)

Oddly, when I try to link the abstracts/full texts, I keep getting a "you need a subscription" message. The American Academy of Pediatrics also advises against using it (if you're a member of their journal look for the August 2007 article, "Creatine use by adolescents not recommended due to limited data", the Journal of Strength and Conditioning concluded, "The limited literature available in this area did not provide a strong enough rationale from either a physiologic or performance perspective for creatine supplementation in these populations (when referring to children and adolescents)" (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11726268) The journal Pediatrics agreed, noting, "Until the safety of creatine can be established in adolescents, the use of this product should be discouraged." (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11483809)

My opinion is that it isn't going to make enough of a difference at 16, 17, 18 to risk taking it. At 16, your natural test level is so high, anything else you take is a drop of water in the ocean. -3X
Post 32 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnersNeverQuit
@eknight what about me? 18 in 5 months, none of the ones i've bought have that on the label

I'm sure it's not a major issue if you haven't had problems yet. What have you bought? I've NEVER seen a creatine product without something to the effect of "not intended for minors," "not intended for use by those under 18," or "Consult your physician before taking if you're under 18" on them, and I worked in a supp store for years. -3X
Post 33 IP   flag post
Markovich private msg quote post Address this user
Can I ask you what Creatine really is?
What is it benefits? What does it do?
What kind of food can you find it in?

Please answar someone =))
Post 34 IP   flag post
Myprotein.co.uk Creatine Monohydrate Tabs, all it says is keep out of reach of children
Post 35 IP   flag post
@Markovich Creatine is naturally occuring and found mostly in red meats. It increases the amount of creatine phosphate stored in the muscle, ready to quickly be converted to ADP which is used to fuel the muscles in the atp-pc and gylcotic (anaerobic) energy system
Post 36 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnersNeverQuit
Myprotein.co.uk Creatine Monohydrate Tabs, all it says is keep out of reach of children

LMAO....now...what do you suppose that means? -3X
Post 37 IP   flag post
yes but it says that on any type of supplement, even gummy vitamin c sweets you give to children
Post 38 IP   flag post
it doesn't specify any age range at which you are supposed to take it, all and in UK there are two classifications in use, some classify adults as 16+ years, others as 18+ years
Post 39 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markovich

Cliff's notes: it increases the reformation of ATP from ADP after the phosphate bond is broken, which allows for greater energy via increased creatine phosphate levels.

The longer version of how it can help is explained pretty straight forward here: http://voices.yahoo.com/a-simple-look-creatine-phosphate-works-1535819.html

-3X
Post 40 IP   flag post
Lacedaemon private msg quote post Address this user
I remember when senior year of high school, we all get ON Creatine and thought we were so bad ass loading up. We took pictures and shit. It was really gay. Never used it to much since unless it was in a Pre-workout.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markovich

Cliff's notes: it increases the reformation of ATP from ADP after the phosphate bond is broken, which allows for greater energy via increased creatine phosphate levels.

The longer version of how it can help is explained pretty straight forward here: http://voices.yahoo.com/a-simple-look-creatine-phosphate-works-1535819.html

-3X

Ek does taking creatine make a big difference in your strength and physique?
Post 42 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Not as much as the manufacturers want you to believe. I've found it can be helpful for cranking out a few extra reps, and is nice for cutting because anything that helps keep up strength without calories is a plus. Like everything, though, the real results come in the kitchen. Is it a supplement I use regularly? Sure. Do I think it will make or break you? Nah. -3X
Post 43 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
@DFMaster240 honestly if your dad doesn't want you to take creatine it's not a big deal

The benefits are great, but if you can't convince or educate your father don't worry about it. It's his house, and his rules. Don't go behind his back to take it. Show some respect and try to talk to him about it like a mature young man.

But if he still says no, who cares. Eat big and lift big, and you'll still make amazing gains. You're 16, enjoy life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by david12345676
eat big and lift big and profit will be yours. you are only 16

Good advice. Don't disrespect your father. It'll only lead to mistrust in the future.

You're young and gains will come easy at your age with proper training and plentiful amounts of food.
Post 44 IP   flag post
UGH Fine.... you guys are right, then i guess no creatine, just protein

Hey out of curiosity what age did you guys start taking it??
Post 45 IP   flag post
16, but didn't know about this, now 17 1/2 yet to have any problems that I know of, but going to stop taking it for a while I think, I get a good amount of red meats in my diet anyway, plus I only used to take it for 12 weeks at a time, and have since then had 8 month lay off and just going to stay off for a bit more just to be safe
Post 46 IP   flag post
Better to be safe, than sorry.........AM a RIGHT?
Post 47 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I was ~23-24. -3X
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
I was ~23-24. -3X

DAMN! when did you start lifting?
Post 49 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
20? 21 maybe? I was a late bloomer. -3X
Post 50 IP   flag post
zyzzmaster private msg quote post Address this user
smart dad. he knows how to get lean. no questions asked.
Post 51 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
You could just make sure that the supplements you buy already have creating in em so he doesn't notice a bottle labeled "creatine." But at 16 you probably don't need it anyway. Not with all the testosterone you're pumpin' now
Post 52 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
same thing happened when i was 15 years old, dad bought me protein (Iso XP) and I started taking it.. then I asked for Cell Mass and he said it's bad for me.

i found 5 studies from GOOGLE.. and showed them to him and 3 days later he came home with my creatine.

i used to think creatines effects were UNREAL when i was a kid, in the last few years i rarely take it because i literally dont notice a difference.

eat big, train big, sleep big, grow BIG.
Post 53 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFMaster240
UGH Fine.... you guys are right, then i guess no creatine, just protein

Hey out of curiosity what age did you guys start taking it??

Started taking at age 20. That plus noob gains was amazing. But yea...its not worth defying your dad man...
Post 54 IP   flag post
340764 54 29
destitute