Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BaiTu private msg quote post Address this user
Do you ever do the one-arm dumbbell bench press?

Do you think it is effective or is it better to do the two arm variety?

Also, do you think there is a big difference between barbell bench press and dumbbell bench press and how they work the chest?

thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Ares private msg quote post Address this user
Theres the factor of free weights burning more calories when your using dumbells, and more movment.
Post 2 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
Barbell bench is the king of benching - allows you to go the heaviest in a combined chest movement. This usually builds the most mass the fastest.

Dumbbells are excellent too, especially if you have slight imbalances in chest strength, shoulder strength, or slihtly different arms, or if you want to slightly alter the range of movement. People with shoulder problems often find dumbbells are less taxing on the shoulder joint.

Single arm dumbbells are useless. They are only worthwhile if you are recovering from an injury etc

I like to use flat bench barbell press for power movements/low reps. And dumbbells for lighter work (10 reps or so)
Post 3 IP   flag post
CaptainRon private msg quote post Address this user
untrue...dumbells are an excellent alternative to the barbell. great for a change up.

u can go heavy and isolate much better with bumbells.

flat, incline, and decline bench.

shoulder presses and arnold presses.

anyone who says they cant go heavy with dumbells doesnt know what they r talking about and is afraid to try it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
Mechanically it's really good for your body to do one arm movements like one arm dumbell press, Kane Sumabat does them all the time. Great for symmetry and strength also teaching your body how to recruit the muscle properly and use it independendantly.
Post 5 IP   flag post
lilRillo private msg quote post Address this user
Both are good, i switch up every few months go from incline bar/flat bar to dumbell flat and incline. But for some reason i just like barbell more!
Post 6 IP   flag post
CaptainRon private msg quote post Address this user
lilRillo...it is a preference.

i like to change up, for just that, a change, and to keep the muscles and muscle groups guessing.

but, what works for one, does not necessarily work for another...
Post 7 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
Think most people have missed he said one arm dumbell press, like isolating and only pressing with left or right at one time.
Post 8 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
I thought this thread was gonna have a link to this video:

Post 9 IP   flag post
BaiTu private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, that's a pretty amazing video.

Thanks for all the answers. They've been helpful.
Post 10 IP   flag post
340609 10 10
destitute