Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
PHATSplit AdviceTraining LogTraining Programs

Help with a PHAT split...8057

Thedude67 private msg quote post Address this user
I know there's a million post on this, but I have a limited amount of workouts I can do. I workout at home and I have a bench that I can also squat from, bent curl bar, olympic bar and dumbells from 5#'s to 50#'s (and two 5# ankle weights, lol). So I can't exactly do a push/pull day split. I also have a lat pull down cable on my bench (the only pull cable I have).

SO, can some one please help me with a good split using the equipment I have availible. I really appriciate the help, I'd need to know exactly what to do, more detail the better. I'm not going to be good at figuring this out on my own because I've never done PHAT and don't really know much about it.

Thank you in advance!!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Come on guys, any tips?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Okay, so Phat is the concept of lifting one muscle group two times weekly with the first time being heavy weight and the second being 60% or so of you max and more reps. This sounds easy enough. I'll stick to my legs/shoulders, chest, tris and back/bis program, day off, then repeat. I'll do the first one heavy and the second workout light...

If anyone can leave advice, it's appreciated...

Thanks...
Post 3 IP   flag post
cardinal private msg quote post Address this user
I currently run my PHAT template like this:

Lower body power
Upper body power
Rest
Back and shoulders hypertrophy
lower body hypertrophy
Chest and arms hypertrophy.

I'm not sure if this would work for you but if you mixed the exercises up I'm sure it could accommodate your situation.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Where do you incorporate deadlifts?
Post 5 IP   flag post
JJ3065 private msg quote post Address this user
Lowerbody hypo
Post 6 IP   flag post
cardinal private msg quote post Address this user
Exactly when @JJ3065 said. As PHAT is a template, not a programme, you get a lot of wiggle room with it. If I want to make the deadlifts heavier, despite the fact I'm doing lowerbody hypo that day, I can. In fact, heavy deadlifts followed by high rep leg press is probably my favourite way to hit legs. Hitting the hamstrings heavy then the quads for high reps often leaves me crawling out the gym.
Post 7 IP   flag post
So do you guys do stiff legged deadlifts or standard deadlifts?
Post 8 IP   flag post
I do stiffys on power leg day and regs on leg hypo day. It off sets squats.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Do you still do squats?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Well since I have a massive dong instead of a vagina, yes I squat.

Im not interested in men. Im not a power bottom. I squat. Then squat again.
Post 11 IP   flag post
^^Thank you for that...If I just knew this stuff I wouldn't ask. Thanks for the info...
Post 12 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like you need to start with Layne's standard PHAT routine, look at what exercises you can't do with your equipment, and then simply replace those exercises with different ones that still work the same muscle(s). Just keep in mind that some of the exercises, such as stiff leg deadlifts, weighted dips, etc, are included to assist with improving your big lifts like deadliest and bench press and squats.

Also, you'd be surprised what just a few bucks can get you. You can make a pull up bar, dip bar, even dumb bells/barbells, and dip belts, for pretty cheap if you put the work in. Between Home Depot and Craigslist you can pice some really good stuff together.
Post 13 IP   flag post
alexbennett123 private msg quote post Address this user
Just make sure you're giving each body part at least 48 hours of rest time.
I do heavy deads on my lower power days and then straight leg deads on lower hypertrophy days. Thats the way I liked it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
You dont find it to be too much to do squats and deads on the same day? One has to suffer?
Post 15 IP   flag post
^^I'd think that would be pretty tough on the old chicken sticks to do them on the same day. With standard deadlifts that is...I do stiff legged deadlifts with squats on the same day usually...

@kickinchicken Thanks for the advice, I do have a pullup bar (forgot to mention that) and a dip bar is also a good idea. I guess I'm just having a hard time combining upper body power. I would think bench, military press and...? Lower power shouldn't be hard, heavy squats, stiff legged deadlifts, dumbell lunges, etc...And upper hyper would be stuff like dumbell flys, curls, skullcrushers etc...Am I on the right track here?
Post 16 IP   flag post
And to add to that, I was always under the impression that standard deadlifts were good to do on upper body days (back/bis)? I would think they would go into heavy upper day, right?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Dirkenhiemer private msg quote post Address this user
Deadlift is a lower body dominant lift, yes it does work the back a lot, but 75% of the lift is all hip flexion and working the posterior chain. That's why it goes on lower body day!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Okay then, lower hyper or power it is...
Post 19 IP   flag post
340762 19 19
destitute