Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressChestDB PressSplit Advice

Dumbell press, keeping around 30° angle8011

CodyTheClen private msg quote post Address this user
Heard from a few lifting partners and briefly looked online on this. Seems to be keeping at around 30°-45° angle helps with the shoulder tension on dumbbell presses. Anyone have insight?

^ Keeping an angle like this, a better visual.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not clear on what you mean by shoulder tension. What is your end goal here? -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
Avoiding potential shoulder injury, some older guys that lift in the gym told me that using a slight angle while pressing focuses your chest and not deltoids.
Post 3 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Bad form generally means shoulder injury my man !!!
Bad form & Weights people are not ready for = Injury.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
They're correct in saying more of the fiber recruitment is pec and less is delt in doing a decline like that, but I'm not sure if there's enough difference in the stress on the joint (because the movement is essentially very similar) to say it will prevent injury. -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
Wbauman private msg quote post Address this user
Strange thing is my shoulder does not hurt when decline but does flat. Must be something into form that contributes to that.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
I think it's true. The reason I arch the top of my back is so that my shoulders and whatnot is in the angle of how they would "normally" be in a decline bench, rather than a flat bench, where they would start to hurt.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thor private msg quote post Address this user
I'm pretty sure decline is the easiest going on your shoulders.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'm not just focusing on declines here. The picture is to show the angle that he is holding the dumbbells. This angle being held throughout the whole movement, whether it being a decline, incline, or flat press.
Post 9 IP   flag post
340740 9 9
destitute