Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CarbsDiet Advice

Carbs, don't cut em...part deux7904

The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
More research on why NOT to cut carbs:

From “Diet-Induced Weight Loss Is Associated with Decreases in Plasma Serum Amyloid A and C-Reactive Protein Independent of Dietary Macronutrient Composition in Obese Subjects” in the April 2005 Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism: "Thus, in otherwise healthy, obese women, weight loss was associated with significant decreases in both SAA and CRP. These effects were proportional to the amount of weight lost but independent of dietary macronutrient composition."

From the Journal of the American Mecical Association Meta anaylsis:
“A review of studies on low-carbohydrate diets published in the May 2004 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found no advantage to these diets compared to equal calorie diets that include carbohydrates. Conducted by researchers at the University of Wisconsin at Madison, this review concluded that calories, not the composition of the diet, was responsible for weight loss and there are no differences in satiety (the feeling of fullness) between the two dietary approaches.

A classic study published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation found that any short-term differences in weight loss between those on either a low-carbohydrate or a balanced diet of equal calories is entirely due to water loss, which cannot be sustained over time. This study demonstrated that fat loss is entirely driven by a reduction in calories and was the first to describe “weight snap back”— the rapid regain that occurs on low-carb diets when carbohydrates are reintroduced.

An analysis of the diets of 2,681 people who are listed in the National Weight Control Registry found that fewer than 1 percent who had maintained at least a 30-pound weight loss for a year or more followed a diet with less than 24 percent of the daily calories from carbohydrates.

Despite all the hype, research confirms that low-carb diets do not perform better in the long term than diets that incorporate essential carbohydrates. Moreover, leading nutrition and medical groups caution against the use of low-carb diets because of the increased risk for such serious health problems as kidney and liver disorders, gout, coronary heart disease, diabetes, stroke and several types of cancer.

New England Journal of Medicine, Sacks et al. studied the controlled diets of 811 adults assigned four different macronutrient ratios for two full years. Carb % ranged from 65% down to 35%. Their findings? “Low-carbohydrate diets, whether extreme or moderate, do not consistently result in more weight loss than other approaches. Moreover, our findings confirm that despite best efforts, studies that compare diets for weight loss have not shown large differences in dietary macronutrient composition.”

And finally, from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2009, “Long-term effects of a very-low-carbohydrate weight loss diet compared with an isocaloric low-fat diet after 12 mo”: “This study showed that the isocaloric LC and LF diets resulted in similar weight loss and reductions in blood pressure, glucose, insulin, insulin resistance, and CRP after 12 mo. However, the diets resulted in differential effects on blood lipids, with greater increases in total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, and HDL cholesterol and reductions in triglycerides with the LC diet than with the LF diet, independent of differences in energy intake and weight loss.”

-3X
Post 1 IP   flag post
Wbauman private msg quote post Address this user
Just had a conversation with my sister in law about her overweight daughter. Said she was tired of being overweight and was going in a low carb diet. I told her that was the wrong way to go. After having been down that road. People just don't listen
Post 2 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Popular media is very hard to overcome...sigh... -3X
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thedude67 private msg quote post Address this user
I've been keep'n my carbs at 40%-50% based on what you guys have told me and it seems to be working...
Post 4 IP   flag post
david12345676 private msg quote post Address this user
Part UNO was enough for me. as it should have been for everyone
Post 5 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
This isnt really news. No carb = tired and slow. but no water, which might make you look great.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Elminister private msg quote post Address this user
I shall start thanking to gods and other deities every day, by sacrificing a chicken, for sending EK to these boards.

I'll cut out the chicken breast, though.
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@Elminister um...thanks? -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
"1%!!!" 1% kept their weight loss on an insufficient carb intake! So 99 out of 100 people will put weight back on.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Markovich private msg quote post Address this user
I really wanted to understand this text, but it's way too complicated for me haha =(
Post 10 IP   flag post
trapsht private msg quote post Address this user
Do you happen to have a direct link to the 1st study cited. The concept of C reactive protein has changed so much over the years from clinically insignificant to significant, and then back again. I'd be curious to read the text from 2005. If you don't...not a big deal. THanks
Post 11 IP   flag post
Maarten private msg quote post Address this user
I honestly love you.
Post 12 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@trapsht let me see if I can relocate it.
@Maarten thanks.. I think. You're one of the people here who loves to challenge popular thinking and the status quo a lot too, and I know you know your way around pubmed, so that's a big compliment. -3X
Post 13 IP   flag post
Maarten private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the compliment!
Post 14 IP   flag post
AverageJoe private msg quote post Address this user
Good info as usual eknight! The forums wouldn't be the same without your knowledge, I work as a personal trainer and learned a lot of bullshit from my certifications. I'm glad there're still people out there who i can learn from that reach for the truth and don't sit on their broscience.
Post 15 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@flexdec thanks bro. Sadly I agree that a lot of what I learned in my certs went out the window when I took human anatomy and physiology in college. -3X
Post 16 IP   flag post
Monster81 private msg quote post Address this user
So I stop by to check the site right after I eat a few slices of Pizza Hut pan pepperoni and 5 boneless buffalo wings ... and @EK has once again dropped knowledge bombs that confirm what most of us are doing is the right way. So, on that note, I'm gonna go grab another slice of pizza. IIFYM CHEAT DAY FTW!!!
Post 17 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
LOL...thanks. My only issue with IIFYM is getting enough fiber in. I've found that it's nearly impossible to do eating less than adequate "good" fuel. -3X
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
LOL...thanks. My only issue with IIFYM is getting enough fiber in. I've found that it's nearly impossible to do eating less than adequate "good" fuel. -3X

I used to have an issue with getting fiber because I hate veggies and just don't eat fruit (yeah, I know), and it was one macro that I didn't pay attention to. But when I started eating more a few issues cleared up for me, so I eat high fiber oatmeal (10g per pack) as well as Kashi cereal. That with some fruit I started adding to my smoothies I have no issues getting my daily requirements. And that being said, this cut while maintaining adequate carbs has allowed me to spread out my cheat days to about once every two weeks without going nuts.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Piggles private msg quote post Address this user
My gawd, I'm never reading another site again... the longer I go without visiting this site, the more misguided and "bro-ified" I become, then I come back and it's like a calm wave of healing washing all the BS out... thanks EK
Post 20 IP   flag post
NJA82 private msg quote post Address this user
How would you go getting in enough carbs on a cut though if your already fairly lean and trying to maintain as much LBM as possible? I know on my last cut once i had dropped around 20lb`s to around 180lb`s i was down to around 1900-2000 cals per day and to get my 60g of fat per day ( 540 cals ) and 180-200g of protein per day ( 720-800 calories ) i was only left with around 600-700 calories for carbs which is only around 150g, going lower on protein and fats isnt possible so to cut any more calories it had to be from carbs which starts to get them on the lower end of the scale...

I guess while cutting having the lack of energy and carbs in the system is just something you have to deal with
Post 21 IP   flag post
Ben777 private msg quote post Address this user
EK did you manage to relocate your #1 thread?
Post 22 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@NJA82 you dropped your kcals too low and may bave consumed more of your other macros than you needed. My last cut, I started lighter than you (and I'm likely older than you) and my target was 2052 kcals a day. 30% protein was 153 grams per day (which was .9 grams per pound of bw- more than enough). 50% carbs was 256 grams per day and 20% fats came in at 46 grams per day.

@Ben777 it isn't lost. http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/3699/page/1/carbs-dont-cut-em/ -3X
Post 23 IP   flag post
Elminister private msg quote post Address this user
@Ben777
I think this is the first thread:

http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/3699/page/1/carbs-dont-cut-em/
Post 24 IP   flag post
Ben777 private msg quote post Address this user
thanks!
Post 25 IP   flag post
slimshady private msg quote post Address this user
I've always done the palumbo cut diet to shed last few lbs of fat. I will never go over 8 weeks on it but boy I get shredded then slowly add the carbs back in..
Post 26 IP   flag post
superoq private msg quote post Address this user
Does it matter what kind of carbs are you eating?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Thedude67 private msg quote post Address this user
I was once told, a carb is a carb...By some one here I believe...
Post 28 IP   flag post
superoq private msg quote post Address this user
@Thedude67

Sugar is a kind of carbs, right?
You mean sugar and High Corn Fructose all good?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superoq
@Thedude67

Sugar is a kind of carbs, right?
You mean sugar and High Corn Fructose all good?

A carb is a carb is a carb, yes that's the general thinking around here, within reason. That being said, if you ate a high sugar diet you are going to run into a host of health problems. I believe EK posted something as well about too much sugar can lower T-levels for a short amount of time.

If you're specifically asking about white rice vs. brown rice for example, a carb is carb.
Post 30 IP   flag post
340762 49 30
destitute