Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
PHATProgress PicsProgress UpdateTraining Log

Cardinal's Log7873

cardinal private msg quote post Address this user
This log is going to serve two main purposes:
1) Communicate with you guys more. I've been woefully neglectful in visiting here as of late due to work and well, I miss you guys.
2) post up my results, track my progress and hopefully give some good advice to others.

Details of my current state as of 19/1/2013

Currently I cutting down from 182lbs to 170-175 lbs. This time round I haven't set a target weight but a target waist size. As soon as I'm at a sub 30" waist it's time to add mass again. I'll also try and get as much nutrition in this log as possible. I will be cutting for another 3-4 weeks before hopefully trying to add some mass again.

Current Programme

The 14 weeks prior to New Year I was running PHAT on EK's advice. I absolutely loved it.I added mass and my strength shot up. I can post up some pics if you guys want to see the results but I'm pretty pleased.I want this log to be a log on not linger too long on PHAT as a lot of people on here run it as a template. IF you want my full opinion on it check out here:
http://www.cardinalstrength.com/phat/ No plug intended.

OK, so down to business. This current cycle will be 12 weeks in total and will use the PHAT template. I'm also incorporating Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. Details of this program can be found here:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

So here's how my program works.
Leg power day
Upper body power day
Back and shoulder hypertophy
Leg hypertrophy/ power mix (I deadlift here)
Chest and arms hypertrophy.

You may have noticed I'm not very specific about my leg day. That's because I like to mix it up. The way PHAT allows me to mix it up is why I love it as a training template. Considering I'm cutting right now, I'm using it to ramp up my sumo deadlift and to do some extra box squats to work on my power at the bottom of the lift. Also throwing in some heavy stiff leg deads, some high rep leg presses and finishing with a bit of core work.

I will post details of each day from here on out. Depending on time, I'll also offer some thoughts and post my nutrition. Anyway, happy reading. Let's do this!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Sadly for you guys today is Saturday which is back and shoulders. Bit of a boring day to start the log but here we go.

Barbell Rows (overhand):
135 x 16 (warm up)
245 x 12
255 x 8
265 x 6

Barbell Rows (Underhand):
245 x 12
245 x 12
245 x 12

Pullups:

Body weight x 12
Body weight x 8
Body weight x 8

Cable Rope Pulls

30 lbs x12 (isolation lift if ever there was one.)
30 lbs x12
30 lbs x12

Seated cable row:

140 lbs x 20
140 lbs x 20
140 lbs x 20

Upright rows:
90 lbs x 12
90 lbs x 12

Lateral Raises Alternating between Lateral front raises each set:

40 lbs x 12
40 lbs x 12
40 lbs x 12
40 lbs x 12

Standing military press

90 lbs x 12
90 lbs x 12

Barbell Shrugs:

310 x 16
310 x 16
310 x 16

Diet for today

Breakfast- 300 g low fat yogurt, 300 kcals 30g protein. Medium black coffee. 1 multivitamin.

Lunch- Morrocan Chicken Salad, wrap of chicken and pseto, 100 g chicken sliced. 650 kcals, 60g protein.

mid-afternoon- 140 g chicken. 160 kcals 30g protein.

Tea- 200 g broccoli, 200g salmon, 1 small clementine. 400 kcals 35g protein.

Anticipated pre-bed- 120 grams chicken, 1 cup of milk. 350 kcals, 35g protein.

Food I shouldn't have eaten...- 2 digestive biscuits, 120 kcals, 0 protein.

Anticipated total= 1980 kcals 190g protein.
Post 2 IP   flag post
tamere01 private msg quote post Address this user
Mind if i ask why while you are tracking nd logging you kcals and protein but not carbs and fats??
Post 3 IP   flag post
I am. I've just not posted them up here to save room and because a lot of people don't care much for the break down. If it's something people want to see I'll post them up.

It's pretty much your standard 2/2/1 split though.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Dukenhiemer private msg quote post Address this user
Impressive strength dude! Glad to see ya around here again!
Stay this time.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Dukenhiemer cheers man. hoping being around here more Will keep me on the straight and narrow.
Post 6 IP   flag post
david12345676 private msg quote post Address this user
got updated pics op?! gl on this log.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Here`s some photos from late November/ early December. I plan to upload some new progress pictures start of February to gauge my "net mass" gain after this cut. Sorry about the poor posing, it isnt my thing hahaha.

http://imageshack.us/content_round.php?page=done&l=img534/5425/photo21uk.jpg

http://imageshack.us/content_round.php?page=done&l=img534/6528/photo1nu.jpg

Also if someone wants to direct link, feel free too. Would otherwise do so but posting off a tablet which makes it difficult.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Going to post up today`s workout later. sadly couldn't do too much heavy lifting due to an insanely tight and painful upper back. could really do with a sports massage round about now.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Today's workout didn't proceed as planned. I've been hitting my upper back real hard recently, harder than I thought. After those shrugs yesterday I left the gym and my back was tight as. I felt fine this morning but after only 2 deadlift sets it was tight as hell. It felt like the entire area was cramping up, I couldn't even arch my back to rest the barbell on as it hurt so much so no box squats or heavy stiff leg deads were done today as they normally are. Hopefully it will be ok for chest and arms tomorrow before a nice long rest. Pretty certain I wont be doing any back stuff this Thursday's power day to let it fully heal up.

Deadlift:
350lbs x 12 (warm up)
410 lbs x 5 (back tightness starts here so no heavy lifting this week. Sorry folks).

Leg Press:
500lbs x 12
500lbs x 12
500lbs x 12

Hamstring curl (love me some hamstring iso work)

45lbs x12
45lbs x12
45lbs x12

Leg extension:

110lbs x 10
110lbs x 10
110lbs x 10

Single leg leg press:

190lbs x12
190lbs x12
190lbs x12

Hanging leg raises:

x12
x12
x12
x20

Leg raises from seated position:
x12
x12

15 minutes on the cross-trainer for cut.

This session went on for surprisingly longer than I anticipated, about 90 minutes. I guess I just had a lot of energy as I couldn't do much heavy compounded lifting due to this back. You'll hopefully get the impression from this log that that is what I'm into so to not be able to do any today due to this upper back problem feels pretty alien to me.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Sorry for the lack of posting. Internet is being bad. Right, well start with Monday's missed log. Tuesday was meant to be cardio but I only got 5 hours sleep Monday night so didn't feel it.

Chest and Arms

Bench
130 x 20 (warmup)
220 x 10
230x 5
245 x 5
255 x 5

Incline bench

130 x 8
130 x 8
130 x 8

Hammer press

220 x 12
220 x 12
220 x 12

decline (speed work)
120x 15
120 x 15

Dead benches

220 x 1 x 10

preacher curls

50 x 12
50 x 12
50 x 12

cable curls

30 x15
30 x 15

tripce pull down superseted with reverse tricep pull down

35 x 12 x 6

Cable rope pull down

35 x 15
35 x 15

forearm curls

50 x12
50 x 12
50 x 12
Post 11 IP   flag post
Maarten private msg quote post Address this user
Mad strength
Post 12 IP   flag post
So today was my favorite day of the week. My power leg day. I decided today that would consist of one key movement, squatting. Lots and lots of squats.

I've also attached a back photo from Monday. Not really orthodox to take a back shot after chest and arm day but it was the only picture I was comfortable taking in the gym toilets..

Leg power day

100 crunches to warmup. Well aware these have pretty much no benefit. I only do them to warm up my core area. I don't know why but doing these has always made me more aware of engaging my core on compounds. It's just the way I work.

Back squat

220 x 12 (warm up)

310 x 5 (still warming up)

355 x 5 (yup, still warming up)

400 lbs x 3

410 x 3

420 x 3

Box squat (second pause once sat on the box)

360 x 6
360 x 6
360 x 6

Bulgarian split squat

135 x12
135 x 12

Leg curl

75 x 8
75 x 8
75 x 8

Hanging leg raises
body weight x 15
body weight x 15
body weight x 15

Woodchops

30lbs x 12 (turning either side with each oblique pull)
30 lbs x 12
30 lbs x 12
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten
Mad strength

Cheers man. Really been trying to work on getting my bench up recently. It's been my weakest compound for years now so I'm trying to get it up. Trying a lot of dead benching to work on pushing power of the chest, also doing forced negatives to focus more on controlling the bar through the negative.

I have a tendency to just let it drop through the negative on heavy lifts.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@cardinal : Same here on the bench press, my weakest muscle for sure!
Bit still mirin' your bench.
What are your stats?
Length in cm and weight in kg?
Post 15 IP   flag post
173cm
just a little under 80kg
rougly 13% body fat.

On this cut I'm looking to get down to around 77kg whilst keeping my strength levels up, hopefully get that body fat down to somewhere between 10% and 11 % to.

Not overly concerned about losing strength. I tend to be pretty good at keeping that up. only area I'm expecting to go won on a little is the bench (having mass really seems to make a difference when benching). Also my deadlifts to but that's more for the fact I have been able to deadlift properly for almost a month now due to some minor injury/ recovery issues.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Dude, check my log.
We have the same height and weight! No I'm really jealous of your strength. But it's motivating.

I'm keeping an eye on this log!
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Maarten

Just checked your progress pick, surprised we're the same weight as your upper body is looking much bigger than someone who's 80 kg.

Annoyingly I tend to carry most of my mass on my legs. I guess it's a carry over from when I played rugby. I'll come and check in on your log once I've finished hitting up body power tomorrow. Can see from the first couple of pages you've got the motivation. props for that.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Yesterday was my power upper body day. Diet was ok minus 185g of peanut m and ms. I went to see Django Unchained which was ridiculously. In my defense at least I went for the high protein snack..

Today was a rest day so nothing to report today. Anyway, here's yesterday. Also moving on to my second wave of 5/3/1 in case you didn't clock it.

Bench

Bench
130 x 20 (warmup)
220 x 10
245x 5
255 x 3
260 x 3

Weighted chin-ups

bodyweight + 35lbs x 6
bodyweight + 35lbs x 6
bodyweight + 35lbs x 6

Weighted Chin up
bodyweight + 35lbs x 6
bodyweight + 35lbs x 6

Weighted dips

bodyweight + 100lbs x 6
bodyweight + 100lbs x 6
bodyweight + 100lbs x 6

Military Press

110 x 8
110 x 8
110 x 8

Skull Crushers

80 lbs x 8
80 lbs x 8
80 lbs x 8

15 minutes cross-trainer.

I've also taken to sacking on Almonds a bit too well. I know there's worse things to snack on but if I'm going to hit my target by the start of February they need to be cut down on. Anyway, back and shoulder hypertrophy tomorrow. Stocked. Just hope to not overdo my back so i can still deadlift Sunday.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Bit off Back and shoulder hypertrophy today.

Bent over rows (overhand grip)

135 lbs x 16 (warm up)

220 lbs x 12

245 lbs x 8

265 lbs x 5

265 lbs x 5
I feel I could go heavier on rows if I invested in some straps. When going heavy my grip always fails on the last rep so I have to use a little momentum to control it through the final negative.

Bent over rows (underhand grip)

220 lbs x 10
220 lbs x 10
220 lbs x 10

Pull ups

Body weight x 12
Body weight x 12
Body weight x 12

Cable rope pulls to face

20 lbs x 12
20 lbs x 12
20 lbs x 12
20 lbs x 12

Lat pulldown

75 lbs x 15
75 lbs x 15

Upright rows

90 lbs x 12
90 lbs x 12

Lateral raises

35 lbs x 12
35 lbs x 12

dumbell front raises

35 lbs x 12
35 lbs x1 2

Military press

90 lbs x 10
90 lbs x 10
90 lbs x 10

Isolateral shoulder press

100 lbs x 12
100 lbs x 12
100 lbs x 12
Post 20 IP   flag post
Leg day again today. Annoyingly my deadlifts are down quite a bit. I guess its to be expected when cutting and not being able to pull sumo for a couple of weeks. Also tried wraps out, felt they helped take the pressure of my knees a bit. They may well be a full time addition to lifting kit.

Sumo deadlifts

310 lbs x 5 (warm up)
350 lbs x 5 (still warming up
375 lbs x 5
400 lbs x 3
420 lbs x 1

Box squats
330 lbs x 8
330 lbs x 8
330 lbs x 8

Leg press

500 lbs x 12
500 lbs x 12
500 lbs x 12

Stiff leg deadlifts

220 lbs x 6
220 lbs x 6
220 lbs x 6

Leg extensions (for the hypertrophy)

75 lbs x 20
75 lbs x 20
75 lbs x 20

Hanging leg raises

Body weight x 15
Body weight x 15
Body weight x 15
Body weight x 15
Post 21 IP   flag post
Dat strength. Fffffuuuu
Post 22 IP   flag post
@Maarten I try my best haha.

Yesterday was chest and arms, almost identical to last week minus I went about 10 lbs heavier on the dead benches.

I didn't post up yesterday as last night was a right off. I went out for the first time in a month, messed up my diet as all I ate today was pizza.

It tends to be quite discussed on this forum on whether you should drink alcahol or not. At university/ college it is pretty much impossible not to drink in some capacity. I used to abstain completely but figured I'm never going to get a chance to party this much in my life. Now, in the fledgling years of my 20s my attitudes changed again. At the end of the day, alcahol is a toxin, it messes you up. As I only drink once a month I tend to drink to excess and to get very drunk. It's the wrong way to do it but it always seems to happen as I don't drink often so get drunk easily. I'm kind of looking forward to not drinking when I'm older now. The stuff in moderation just doesn't appeal and hopefully the days of getting obscenely drunk and picking up girls will be behind me. Don't get me wrong, I love a bit of bump and grind but the whole "I'm 20 and going to conquer the world" mentality alcahol tends to induced shall not be missed.
Post 23 IP   flag post
JJ3065 private msg quote post Address this user
Lets get some vids! I just read this for the first time and its really impressive.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@JJ3065

5/3/1 has me going for 440 for 1 on squats next week so I'm looking to film that mainly for form check. Looking to, after the write off today, to get everything focused up until then diet and training wise. It seems weird as its only 20lbs more and for 2 less reps but it seems like a big jump mentally from the 420 I got for 3 last week. A lot if it is mental though obviously.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Now I think about it if its something people would want to see I might throw up a youtube channel. Don't expect too many videos as I wont be filming too many lifts. Mainly as its really frowned upon in my gym for whatever reason. I've got a couple of videos of a 400 lbs squat from back in June and I believe a 410 lbs squat although depth is a bit questionable on that one. I'd probably get away with it at a comp meet if the judges were feeling generous.

Would be nice from a personal stand point to look back at that lift and, hopefully compare it with my new one rep max now.
Post 26 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
@cardinal I have a youtube channel for personal vids. Its pretty convenient to keep record for myself, as well as updating my log!

Just my two cents!

And squats are 99% mental imo! Just get under the bar, squat down. And stand up!
Post 27 IP   flag post
@NorIda

Amen to that. The main thing I find in getting the lift is actually the set up. If I can get my feet positioned perfectly off the rack I'm much more comfortable in making the lift.

Having someone you trust, as opposed to a gym randomer is also the world of difference. Even if it just a competent human being resting a hand under the bar I find it helps.

On a related not I cannot hide my apathy for random gym spots who bear hug me through a squat. I know some people prefer squatting like that but I find most people spotting that way aren't doing it right and end up taking too much off the weight and knocking me of balance in a lot of cases.
Post 28 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
@cardinal agreed. Idk the last time I completed a squat with a spotter!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Dukenhiemer private msg quote post Address this user
Impressive strength dude! Jealous of that squat!!
Post 30 IP   flag post
340630 75 30
destitute