Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
PHATSplit AdviceTraining Programs

New Split for someone finishing PHAT7592

mastamuffin private msg quote post Address this user
So, I have a buddy of mine who just did about 24 weeks of PHAT. He looking to change things up and asked me for a routine.

He wants a push/push/legs, but wants power and hyper work included. I was thinking of setting his split up like:

Push A
-Flat Bench Press (Power, 4-6 reps)
-Incline dumbbell press (hyper, 10-15 reps)
-Military Press (Power or hyper, not sure)
-Skull Crushers (hyper)

Pull A
-Weighted Pull Ups (Power)
-Cable Rows (hyper)
-Lat Pull down (hyper
-Barbell Curls (hyper)
-Face Pulls (hyper)

Legs A
-Squat (power)
-RDL (Hyper)
-Leg Extension (hyper
-Calves
-Abs

And his B workouts would look like:

Push B
-Incline Bench (power)
-Flat Dummbell bench (hyper)
-Lateral Raises (hyper
-Tricep Pushdowns (hyper)
-Kick Backs (Hyper)

Pull B
-BB Rows or T Bar Rows (Power)
-Weighted Pull ups (hyper)
- One arm Rows (Hyper)
-Dumbbell Curls (hyper)
-Rear Delt Flys (Hyper)

Legs B
-Deadlift (power)
-Front Squat (Hyper)
-Leg Curls (Hyper)
-Calves
-Abs

The idea behind this was so that he could have his power work and his Hypertrophy work on the same days (his request)

It would go basically Push A, Pull A, Legs A, rest, Push B, Pull B, Legs B, rest.

The rest in-between doesn't have to just be a single day, it can be 2 or so. Also i was thinking of having him do cardio on either rest days or push days (furthest fro leg days)

The progression on the first power lifts would be the ones id have him make sure to progress in either weight or reps for each session. The accessory work will also increase in weight/reps, but he really wants to get his main lifts up i.e. power lifting lifts.

Any criticism is welcome, just make sure at least some of it is constructive haha.
Post 1 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Honestly dude. That looks very legit.

Your buddy wants power and hyper in one day which is straight. I would want them separate but this style works out great. Have him fun a few cycles and report back!! Best of luck man
Post 2 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
What makes him think he should stop doing PHAT?
Post 3 IP   flag post
^ haha I was about to bring that up.. But just though that maybe he just needed a change up for a little. Plus it's not that diff from phatt. Buy yah. Sometime. Little change is what ppl need to spice it up a lil
Post 4 IP   flag post
Yea he just wanted a change from PHAT, something with less lifts per session i think.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thedude67 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm afraid of get'n blasted here, but I have questions. Power, this means more weight for less reps?
Hypertrophy, this means 60-70% less weight and explosiveness with more reps? How are you supposed to lift with the power weight? Slow and controlled or explosive?

I'm really dull on this, I don't fully understand. I've read articles about PHAT and Hypertrophy training, but for some reason I'm just not getting it...
Post 6 IP   flag post
Hey bro don't worry about getting blasted haha. That is a good question man! I am glad you asked bud

Yes, we refer to power as an exercise that uses heavy weight and lower reps. Usually around the 1-6 rep range or so-so

With hypertrophy range were just talking somewhere in the 8-12ish rep range.

All lifts GENERALLY will be a nice tempo with a controlled eccentric phase and an explosive concentric phase.

Now you can add variables with different tempos like having a 4-3-1 tempo or a 5-3-2 tempo or what ever give you more time under tension. Just another tool to use

Does that help bud? Hope so...
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thedude67 private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, this helps, thanks. This is kinda what I was getting from the stuff I was reading. PHAT looks good, I would like to try it and see what it does for me. I just always thought lift as much as you can as many times as you can in the 10-15 rep range. I obviously have a lot to learn...
Post 8 IP   flag post
^hey its all good bud! Once yah learn what you gotta learn its pretty easy from there just make it as stress free as possible bud!! Have fun with the journey.

PHAT is a great program man. Having power rep ranges and hyper rep ranges in the same week is the best thing you can do for yourself (IMO). I have seen some sick strength gains from it.

If you don't like or can't handle the 5x per week you can do like Upper Power, Lower power, off, off Upper hyper, Lower hyper, off, repeat.

That works great as well
Post 9 IP   flag post
Monster81 private msg quote post Address this user
Hell yeah, I'm currently running something very similar and I love it. I feel torched after each workout, but ready to kick ass the next morning when I get up and can't wait to get back in there. I have a couple more weeks cutting and then I can't wait to run my routine while bulking.
Post 10 IP   flag post
So everything looks good?
Post 11 IP   flag post
yah I would say so. Looks solid to me!
Post 12 IP   flag post
340630 12 12
destitute