Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestSplit Advice

Decline chest/Incline7430

CodyTheClen private msg quote post Address this user
Mixed reviews on this. Want some lifting experience with both. Who has noticed gains from decline presses as opposed to incline. Also, has anyone noticed any pain or received injury from one or the other?
Post 1 IP   flag post
david12345676 private msg quote post Address this user
sometime i feel some pain on incline bb press.

decline db flys ftw
Post 2 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
I used to do decline press but i think it has the same effect with flat bench. so switched it with dips instead. the only difference with flat and declines is that im stronger when i do declines. Or if im gonna do declines im going to do hammer press or flys.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Yeah, I usually never did decline bb press due to some horror stories, but I wanted to hit chest hard especially upper chest. Incline bb always seems fine, I just want to minimize possible shoulder injury. Doing decline/incline always promotes a bigger and more full chest, so I'm curious what others have seen with it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@david12345676

flys are always a win in my book! No pain with decline??

@jonrivs49

do you do weighted dips?
Post 5 IP   flag post
david12345676 private msg quote post Address this user
not really any pain. blood sure does rush to tha dome though
Post 6 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
@CodyTheClen.. Yup
Post 7 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
I prefer decline. If I wanted to hit shoulders I'd just do O/H presses.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Nyko private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyTheClen
Yeah, I usually never did decline bb press due to some horror stories, but I wanted to hit chest hard especially upper chest. Incline bb always seems fine, I just want to minimize possible shoulder injury. Doing decline/incline always promotes a bigger and more full chest, so I'm curious what others have seen with it.

Inb4ek Upperchest.

There is a difference if total fast vs slow twitch fiber activation in elevation of presses, however your entire chest contracts or it does not. There is no "Upper Chest" that you can isolate.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
but I wanted to hit chest hard especially upper chest.

-3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
i use decline for heavy weight, incline for heavy weight for reps and flat for 5s or 3s usually..

i enjoy decline freeweight and have always noticed more mass doing these
Post 11 IP   flag post
GGBro private msg quote post Address this user
I love incline on hyper day but I cant stand decline. I work out solo and find it very hard to get my ass and the weight on the bench when I go heavy.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Nyko @eknight

So let me get my anatomy right boys. From the university I study, A&P 1 and 2 states that there is the sternal and clavicular pectoralis (one being major and minor). Self explanitory. You take anatomy and physiology too from what I saw right EK? So in reality, when I said upper chest I meant, 'An isolated clavicular pectoralis major' workout to give my chest a more full look.

I'm sorry, but I thought this was winter break? Why are there such sticklers on here?
Post 13 IP   flag post
@CodyTheClen
Sorry Sir Cody of Clenbuterol, It is commonly accepted on this website that the full pectoral muscle either contracts or it doesn't. There have been many threads and discussions plus research and analysis to debunk isolating the upper chest. In saying this, you are of course entitled to your own beliefs and sha'll continue to train in the way that you see fit. This is just a disclaimer.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Yeah I figured that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Thanks for the heads up. I guess I didn't know who knows the most on public forums!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Nyko private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Nyko @eknight

So let me get my anatomy right boys. From the university I study, A&P 1 and 2 states that there is the sternal and clavicular pectoralis (one being major and minor). Self explanitory. You take anatomy and physiology too from what I saw right EK? So in reality, when I said upper chest I meant, 'An isolated clavicular pectoralis major' workout to give my chest a more full look.

I'm sorry, but I thought this was winter break? Why are there such sticklers on here?

It was not intended as a jab at you, just a brief reiteration of what this forum has seen 1000x as swole stated. Don't take it personally.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyko

It was not intended as a jab at you, just a brief reiteration of what this forum has seen 1000x as swole stated. Don't take it personally.

None taken, I'm just looking for exercises others have seen results from, in particular decline and incline presses. From a couple of my posts now all I get is corrections and links to more information. Constructive criticism is cool, but being 'told' something is another. Ill read a book if I need to learn something lol.
Post 17 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
@Nyko @eknight

I doubt your anatomy states that, since it's incorrect. The pec major and pec minor are two completely separate muscles, with separate innnervation and points of origin and insertion. The pectoralis major has two heads, yes, but they can not be isolated/contracted/targeted at the expense of one another. If you actually DID take anatomy, then you know that a muscle shortens by bringing the point of insertion to the point of origin. You also know that BOTH heads of the pectoralis insert at the lateral lip of the bicipital groove of the humerus. Finally, you know that there is no way to contract one head without the other given that common point of insertion. This isn't a matter of stickling- you posted some things that are flat incorrect. -3X
Post 18 IP   flag post
chriselkins private msg quote post Address this user
How do I improve the area near my collar bone? I have a large chest especially for my frame but I have way too much collar bone!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriselkins
How do I improve the area near my collar bone? I have a large chest especially for my frame but I have way too much collar bone!

Building mass my man. We can't change shape, but we sure can grow!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Not here to discuss anatomical features with you EK. Its irritating that you force your thoughts upon others. What was it that someone said on here.. youre viewed as the.. anti-christ was is? Easy up pal! I was not wrong, so were going to have to agree to disagree.
Post 21 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Really? What part were you not wrong about? Explain or GTFO. There's a difference between forcing an opinion and stating a fact. Then there's what you did- state incorrect presumptions. What Anatomy book do you have that states your claim? What references can you cite? Basic human anatomy isn't an opinion, lol. I do not agree to disagree, I agree to state that you're wrong. You aren't here to debate anatomy with me because that's a debate you'll lose.

-3X
Post 22 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
ek just told cody that 2+2=4

cody did not believe ek that 2+2=4
Post 23 IP   flag post
AKK private msg quote post Address this user
Clen trys to act smart.

Gets owned

Then pulls the Im not debating this card with EK.

EK:1000

Clen: -140823492789016234
Post 24 IP   flag post
trapsht private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Really? What part were you not wrong about? Explain or GTFO. There's a difference between forcing an opinion and stating a fact. Then there's what you did- state incorrect presumptions. What Anatomy book do you have that states your claim? What references can you cite? Basic human anatomy isn't an opinion, lol. I do not agree to disagree, I agree to state that you're wrong. You aren't here to debate anatomy with me because that's a debate you'll lose.

Why are people so demeaning to others at times on this site? How many of us are professional athletes? Isn't lifting supposed to be fun? From what I've seen, I'm the only person on this site with a doctorate degree. I'll argue anatomy & physiology with anyone all day long. I've spent more time in a cadaver lab than you could possibly fathom(not bragging btw). I just don't understand the "know it all attitude". I guess that's why the same 10 guys are the only one's posting. Other sites just don't have this kind of atmosphere.

Don't take this the wrong way...not trying to insult or start a quarrel with anyone about anything...can't we just be nicer to each other?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Yes, this is my 1st post and realize I totally screwed up the "quotation"....Science and the human body I'm good...computers---very uneducated.
Post 26 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
hmnnnnnnn. I see where your coming from trapsht...... I am guessing that this discussion (with chest) has come up many, many, times and the ones who have been on this sight for a long time get a little annoyed when someone brings it up again. To us its like beating a dead horse for the 1,000,000th time............ And you have to realize where EK is coming from haha. He has put MANY studies up and spent a lot of time and effort teaching ppl on the forum the principals of the "chest" argument.
Post 27 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@trapsht honestly I don't care if I come across as quarrelsome. I'd rather put correct information out there and let people get the right knowledge than play nicey nice. Noteworthy, too, is that while you quoted my post, it was @CodyTheClen that started this with

Quote:
@Nyko @eknight

If someone is going to pop off in such an intellectualy sanctimonious manner, they can expect to be corrected when they are wrong. -3X
Post 28 IP   flag post
Like I said...totally screwed up the quotation aspect of my reply. I had no intention of quoting, nor insulting anyone. I just don't understand such frivolous arguments...just my .02. Don't worry about origins/insertions. Just lift hard...I guarantee you half of the knuckleheads in the NFL don't have a clue about it..they just lift hard & eat right.
Post 29 IP   flag post
AKK private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapsht
Yes, this is my 1st post and realize I totally screwed up the "quotation"....Science and the human body I'm good...computers---very uneducated.

and your post wasnt coded in a egotistical attitude?

"I'm the only person on this site with a doctorate degree. I'll argue anatomy & physiology with anyone all day long. I've spent more time in a cadaver lab than you could possibly fathom(not bragging btw)"

just because you put not bragging at the end does not mean its not bragging..

lets see the doctorates degree because out of anyone you should be the most picky about the correct information being spread around. But I guess you must be the only person who has a doctorates degree who does not care if the incorrect information is posted.

and how do you know you are the only one with a doctorate degree?
Post 30 IP   flag post
340737 52 30
destitute