Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BenchChestSplit AdviceSpotting

benching and no spot7144

Ramses private msg quote post Address this user
How do you guys do it? Im finding recently i cannot progress in dumbell bench simply because i cannot get the weight that im attempting to do off my chest. With a spot i can do it but ive lost my lifting partner recently and am now stuck without one sad times. any tips or advice?
Post 1 IP   flag post
david12345676 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramses
simply because i cannot get the weight that im attempting to do off my chest.

clearly attempting too much weight for reps. lower the weight.. rep it for 10-12 reps on a set slowly. progressive overload.
Post 2 IP   flag post
david12345676 private msg quote post Address this user
aka stop training your ego in the gym. its hard to get used to but you will get used to it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Or....just ask someone to spot you. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
Dukenhiemer private msg quote post Address this user
Or tell yourself that you're going to get it even if it kills you.
Profit!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Ramses private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by david12345676
Quote:
simply because i cannot get the weight that im attempting to do off my chest.

clearly attempting too much weight for reps. lower the weight.. rep it for 10-12 reps on a set slowly. progressive overload.

i was trying just to up the weight for my last set, where i was managing 30kgs for 8, tried to go to 32.5 but i got stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Or....just ask someone to spot you. -3X

guess so hahha
Post 6 IP   flag post
Markovich private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe you could not increase to 32,5 because you already got tired from the 30's, so just wait until next chest work out, then you will rep the 32,5 AT LEAST 6 reps man =)
Post 7 IP   flag post
MrMailliw private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
How do you guys do it? Im finding recently i cannot progress in dumbell bench simply because i cannot get the weight that im attempting to do off my chest. With a spot i can do it but ive lost my lifting partner recently and am now stuck without one sad times. any tips or advice?

Is this not a hint that you shouldn't be using such a heavy weight?

That's like saying I can ride a bike as long as I have stabilisers.
Post 8 IP   flag post
igg private msg quote post Address this user
If you me mean you can't get them up on the first rep then try as you're lying down on the bench bring you knees up as well as putting the weight up, has to be all done in one motion
Post 9 IP   flag post
Maarten private msg quote post Address this user
Don’t be ashamed of your hairy butthole, girl. That’s how Jesus made it.
Post 10 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
@Ramses Chose a weight that you can only do for 8-10 reps. If your reps increased and your able to do 15 reps or more. your already gained strength and ready to add some weight and do a rep range of 8-12 reps again with that weight and so on. This is what i do to increase my strength because i usually go to gym alone. And if you like heavy weight you can try changing the rep range for example 4-6 reps and try aiming for 8 or more. Hope that helps
Post 11 IP   flag post
NJA82 private msg quote post Address this user
Agree with what has been posted, ive found personally that with DB press until i can comfortably rep out around 8-10 on a certain weight i am not ready to go up to the next dumbbells.

Rolling the dumbbells into the starting position is about technique and other strengths as well. If you have a balanced upper body and have equal back strength to chest strength ( with rows etc. ) then you should have less troubles. Heavy Dumbbell rowing and lots of wide grip chins will give you a lot more stability in your upper body and in turn make the start of dumbbell pressing a lot more solid and stable.
Post 12 IP   flag post
chriselkins private msg quote post Address this user
Your shoulders are weak. Work on overhead press and Arnold press to fix your anterior deltoid problem.

Also, I can almost gaurantee that If the first rep is so much harder than the other reps that you are cheating yourself and not going down quite far enough on every rep after the first.
Post 13 IP   flag post
340762 13 13
destitute