Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Maarten private msg quote post Address this user
I asked Menno Henselmans, whom also featured on SS.com.

Post 1 IP   flag post
shannowman private msg quote post Address this user
INB4EKBRINGSTHEHURT
Post 2 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Great. After nearly a year of providing clinical research showing this is a fallacy and 100% BS claim that can not be done, and after having another pro on here state that it can't be done, people still want to argue it. Find it hilarious that he states, "there are facts, not opinions" showing flexion of one part independent of the other, but doesn't provide them. Laughable. I don't care what bodybuilder or fitness athletes you ask- they're not medically trained, and thus they are incorrect about these kinds of statements. Next time you talk to him ask him how that's possible with one ONE point of insertion on the humerus, and one nerve supplying energy. Perhaps he can also find a way to squat that individually hits one head of the quad and not the other three. What a joke. -3X
Post 3 IP   flag post
- Ok thanks EK. I'm just keen on learning everything, and I'm naturally a person with a critical mind. This means I'm also interested in learning things, more than once. But thank you for your input on this! Which I was hoping for.
Post 4 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Great. After nearly a year of providing clinical research showing this is a fallacy and 100% BS claim that can not be done, and after having another pro on here state that it can't be done, people still want to argue it. Find it hilarious that he states, "there are facts, not opinions" showing flexion of one part independent of the other, but doesn't provide them. Laughable. I don't care what bodybuilder or fitness athletes you ask- they're not medically trained, and thus they are incorrect about these kinds of statements. Next time you talk to him ask him how that's possible with one ONE point of insertion on the humerus, and one nerve supplying energy. Perhaps he can also find a way to squat that individually hits one head of the quad and not the other three. What a joke. -3X

hahaha I LOLd
Post 5 IP   flag post
david12345676 private msg quote post Address this user
im siding with EK again.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Henselman's response:

Post 7 IP   flag post
+ Link
Post 8 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
IN
Post 9 IP   flag post
OhhLoLo private msg quote post Address this user
in.
Post 10 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
All I read was flat bench ftw

"Also, the clavicular head of the pectoralis major was no more active during the incline bench press than during the horizontal one, but it was less active during the decline bench press."
Post 11 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user

This needed a proper intro.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Tyr private msg quote post Address this user
when it comes to scientific studies the word "significant" is very misunderstood. If a object weighs 000,11 gram it will wheigh significantly more than object 2 with a weight of 000,10 gram. So even tho the EMG found some differences in muscle activity, the differences might be so small that they wont result in any greater muscle growht of the upper portion of the chest. sorry if my grammar is off =)
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@Maarten the link you/he provided backs what I said, so... What am I missing? -3X
Post 14 IP   flag post
Like he said "it shows preferential activity of the different heads as a result of trunk inclination and grip width".

Then what are your conclusions on the study?
Post 15 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
It shows chest, shoulder and triceps activation throughout the particular lifts? Not numerous heads of the chest?

Unless I'm reading it incorrectly.
Post 16 IP   flag post
"The clavicular head of the pectoralis major was more active with a narrow hand spacing. Anterior deltoid activity tended to increase as trunk inclination increased".

Which basically states his claim made earlier.

Once again, I want to learn the right thing, so this is nothing personal.
Post 17 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
That doesn't state his claim at all. He claimed that you can activate the clavicular head "without any movement" of the sternal head. Not possible. Secondly, while the clavicular head is more active, if I recall the full study correctly, the sternal head is also more active. I'm out with the wife, but if you want, when I get home, I'll happily dig up and repost the several studies showing that you cannot activate muscle fibers in one portion of the pectoralis to the exclusion of the rest. -3X
Post 18 IP   flag post
sickrykes private msg quote post Address this user
so... does anyone still do incline?
Post 19 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
I do reverse grip incline occasionally.
Post 20 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickrykes

I do inclines with every chest workout. I love them.
Post 21 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
i do incline every other chest workout aswell

and still notice my upper chest filling out from them, also lots of flys to help
Post 22 IP   flag post
shit..... Ima still do incline and declines
Post 23 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I still do them as well. They're an absolutely great movement to hit your entire chest- they just aren't going to hit one part without the other. -3X
Post 24 IP   flag post
^amen to that!! ek for president
Post 25 IP   flag post
G3NGHIS private msg quote post Address this user
If you go to Google and type in Upper Chest and go to images, there is a condescending Wonka that links back here

PROGRESS HAS NOT BEEN DESTROYED
Post 26 IP   flag post
KalletSc private msg quote post Address this user
This question has always been on my mind. How does decline hit the chest differently than incline/flat? i know it's less shoulder involvement but is there any other benefit..or cons? I recently just started doing declines again.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3NGHIS
If you go to Google and type in Upper Chest and go to images, there is a condescending Wonka that links back here

PROGRESS HAS NOT BEEN DESTROYED

Hysterical! I had to see what you were talking about so I went to google and searched "upper chest". Sure enough:

Post 28 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickrykes

I do inclines with every chest workout. I love them.

TSG has me doing some sort of incline 2x week. Still think they are a great exercise, however w/ the tempo and set/rep range i feel like an absolute pussy. But i also have been told i have pecs of steel and been asked to touch them. I told the guy no he couldn't.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@dwatson - awh come on, give the guy a little touch.
Post 30 IP   flag post
340737 41 30
destitute