Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ArmsBench PressChestProgress PicsTeen

How to make pecs primary mover in benchpress6982

Zny93 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey hows everyone doin, im just gettin back from the gym from my chest workout. Ive been doing a lot of research on bench presses but noone seems to explain (besides lifting4life) that the pecs are not the primary mover in bench pressing, the triceps are. I've come along far in my form since starting to focus on it, but i'm still struggling with the bench press for my chest. Is there any tips/tricks to making my pecs move majority of the weight? Thanks a lot for input beforehand
Post 1 IP   flag post
UmichBrah private msg quote post Address this user
I'd try a wider grip on the bar, close grip involves more tricep, wider grip involves more chest/shoulder
Post 2 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
shoulder blades back
Post 3 IP   flag post
ajones46 private msg quote post Address this user
Yep. And mentally focus on your chest. Mind/muscle connection bro.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@UmichBrah Yeah I put my hands about 6-8 inches away from them being parallel with my shoulder.

@SRorhrbac0808 Thanks man I just tried a set of pushups with that technique and felt a good deal of the stress on the pecs.
@ajones46 along with ^ it's working

I'll definitely be givin this a try next chest day i'll be back w/ results
Post 5 IP   flag post
OH try this dude..... Think about your ELBOWS not your hands when you press
Post 6 IP   flag post
BEFORE YOU TRY IT..... Think about your hands and try a press in the air... then think about your elbows and do a press..... ah ha?
Post 7 IP   flag post
david12345676 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRorhrbac0808
shoulder blades back

deff.

train your chest like a powerlifter.
train your back like a bodybuilder.
Post 8 IP   flag post
eventheodds1 private msg quote post Address this user
Greatest advice I got was," Do not focus on pushin the weight rather focus to contract your pecs."

Neil Hill.
Post 9 IP   flag post
AKK private msg quote post Address this user
quit locking out.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Went back at it again tonight after work, and I've gotta say I'm pissed. I did smith bench, flyes and pushups. I'm done with the smith machine, I felt more strain and tightness doing flyes and pushups than from the smith machine. I maxed out at 100 for 3 reps. Last time I maxed out at 130 for 3 reps. I'll be back next week with more results.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Monster81 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRorhrbac0808
BEFORE YOU TRY IT..... Think about your hands and try a press in the air... then think about your elbows and do a press..... ah ha?

I have just been enlightened. Working on my form too, thanks man the light bulb literally just exploded over my head.
Post 12 IP   flag post
^ YES
Post 13 IP   flag post
Just tried doing a mock DB press with my moms 3lb. weights & focused on contracting my pecs completely while thinking of my elbows. I finally figured it out, and as posted above Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster81

the light bulb literally just exploded over my head.
Post 14 IP   flag post
340617 14 14
destitute