Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
PHATTeenTraining Programs

PHAT Hypertrophy Rep-Ranges: 8-20?!6762

sazthetics private msg quote post Address this user
Layne recommends going as high as 20 reps on a large amount of his hypertrophy exercises, has anyone had any experiences with sets of 20? I'm starting this program soon but thinking of not going about 15 reps, as from my understanding anything above 15 reps isn't optimal for hypertrophy.
Post 1 IP   flag post
G3NGHIS private msg quote post Address this user
I use to do 20 reps, but then I got arrow in my knee
Post 2 IP   flag post
-.-
Post 3 IP   flag post
AverageJoe private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazthetics
Layne recommends going as high as 20 reps on a large amount of his hypertrophy exercises, has anyone had any experiences with sets of 20? I'm starting this program soon but thinking of not going about 15 reps, as from my understanding anything above 15 reps isn't optimal for hypertrophy.

its for bloodflow and muscle repair
Post 4 IP   flag post
Swift private msg quote post Address this user
It also depends on the type of muscles and it all comes down to Time under tension. Obviously you can get muscle growth and hypertrophy on legs in the 8-12 rep range but if you just did that amount for your abs you'd probably never see results because an movements have smaller ranges of motion therefore less time the muscle spends under tension....

...basically, trust layne and do what he says :p
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift

...basically, trust layne and do what he says :p

Exactly, lol. I was going to do it regarded, simply because Layne advises it, but I just wanted to know the full reasoning behind it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
Have I mentioned that I love PHAT?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinchicken

No, tell me more. How long have you been doing it? Has anyone been doing it for a few months/years without changing programs?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Lots of people on here have. You should actually call it the Layne Norton forum. But for good reason. Its a great program witht he flexibility to change and stay on it for a very long time
Post 9 IP   flag post
eventheodds1 private msg quote post Address this user
I think I am on my 18th week of Phat.
Post 10 IP   flag post
eventheodds1 private msg quote post Address this user
I think I am on my 18th week of Phat.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I think I'm on about week 12. I have documented gains about every 1-2 weeks so far. Strength and mass. For instance, today was a strength day and I went from DB Flat BP 110x5,4,4 a week and a half ago to 110x5,5,5 without sacrificing form. So it's time to move up again.
Post 12 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinchicken

No, tell me more. How long have you been doing it? Has anyone been doing it for a few months/years without changing programs?

I honestly don't know how long I've been on this routine. But for months! I think may ish is when I started? I'd have to check. But I've made incredible gains using the PHAT principles.
Post 13 IP   flag post
skullay private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I'm currently doing the program with straight sets (all my working sets are at the same weight) and shooting for the higher end of whatever rep ranges Layne recommends.

The first time I ran the program I did progressive sets (not sure if this is the correct terminology), where I increased the weight each set, but I kept the reps towards the lower end of what Layne recommended.

I'm definitely all about targeting the hypertrophic range on those days, but I guess I'm not super anal about the rep count (is 8 too little, is 20 too much?) and have just been kinda experimenting with it. After my next break from PHAT I'll probably try a rep/set scheme that's a little different from what I'm doing now.

If you feel 20 is too many reps and won't be best for hypertrophy, stick to the 8-15 range until you come across info that convinces you it's ok, but all in all I doubt that if you do the 20 rep sets it's not like they wouldn't be beneficial at all.
Post 14 IP   flag post
tiesun2 private msg quote post Address this user
I definitely like the 20 reps. It's only a few sets a week, so I don't think it's excessive. There's definitely a huge pump after you do them.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullay
Quote:

I'm currently doing the program with straight sets (all my working sets are at the same weight) and shooting for the higher end of whatever rep ranges Layne recommends.

The first time I ran the program I did progressive sets (not sure if this is the correct terminology), where I increased the weight each set, but I kept the reps towards the lower end of what Layne recommended.

I'm definitely all about targeting the hypertrophic range on those days, but I guess I'm not super anal about the rep count (is 8 too little, is 20 too much?) and have just been kinda experimenting with it. After my next break from PHAT I'll probably try a rep/set scheme that's a little different from what I'm doing now.

If you feel 20 is too many reps and won't be best for hypertrophy, stick to the 8-15 range until you come across info that convinces you it's ok, but all in all I doubt that if you do the 20 rep sets it's not like they wouldn't be beneficial at all.

Thanks man, really appreciate it. I think i'll start off with the 20 reps and i'll see how I feel about it. It is only a few sets a week and I think it'll be good to change things up anyway.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Hamersmash private msg quote post Address this user
I'll probably get slaughtered for this or whatever but my understanding was that hypertrophy was generally 6-10 maybe 12 - Possibly a bit higher on your legs going to 15.

The thing is although u might get a great pump after a 20 rep set it's not indicative of muscle growth.

Can anyone say definitively why it advises 20 reps?

I know flexdec said for blood flow and muscle repair but surely not. Muscles would recover better from no work at all if they are still recovering, rather than a seemingly pointless set which won't induce muscle growth nor help u meet your goals in terms of size and strength, which from what i've gathered PHAT is all about? Or am i missing the point?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamersmash
I'll probably get slaughtered for this or whatever but my understanding was that hypertrophy was generally 6-10 maybe 12 - Possibly a bit higher on your legs going to 15.

The thing is although u might get a great pump after a 20 rep set it's not indicative of muscle growth.

Can anyone say definitively why it advises 20 reps?

I know flexdec said for blood flow and muscle repair but surely not. Muscles would recover better from no work at all if they are still recovering, rather than a seemingly pointless set which won't induce muscle growth nor help u meet your goals in terms of size and strength, which from what i've gathered PHAT is all about? Or am i missing the point?

I had a similar understanding to you. I think sets up to 20 still do stimulate muscular hypertrophy, just to a lesser extent.

I think Layne Norton's idea was to incorporate all rep-ranges in order to shock the muscles, not allowing them to adapt to a set rep range.
Post 18 IP   flag post
340752 18 18
destitute