Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingGerman Volume TrainingProgress UpdateTraining Programs

Jonesie's Bulk Log w/ GVT6718

ajones46 private msg quote post Address this user
TIME TO BULK UP!

Hey SS, I've been on a long cut for about the last year and a half and dropped about 60lbs. Went from 230 and now down to 180, and after some advice from some SS vets, got down to 175. Now it's time for me to put on some real mass. I'm going to try to keep this log as accurate as possible.

Training:
@Flexdec is in love with German Volume training and seems to be making good gains with it so I'll give it a shot. I'll be following the routine from ss.com pretty closely and will document any changes. clickable text I can't wait to get my ass kicked.

Nutrition:
Baseline calories are around 2340, so I'll shoot for around 2600 calories per day, at a 50:30:20 ratio and will adjust as needed. Starting out at a lower surplus since I'm coming out of long cut. I'll be using the livestrong iPhone app to help log, easy chart breakdown for macros.

Supplements:
Nothing fancy here. Optimen multi, fish oil, and vitamin D daily, and whey and casein protein as needed to meet the macros. Preworkout is just ON's Amino Energy w/ creatine mono, also will be supplementing ON's 2,222 tablets on training days.

Day 1 Pics:

I know my BF may still be a little high, but I've been cutting for a long while, and holidays approaching, I think bulking's the better option for me.

Day 1, chest and back. Here goesss
Post 1 IP   flag post
AestheticBrah private msg quote post Address this user
In for day one. considering I'm doing the same thing today..
Post 2 IP   flag post
david12345676 private msg quote post Address this user
alright alright alright. glad to see a wheels pic w/o having to call out for one. i am infamous for calling out people on wheel pics :p

looking good chief, gonna look even better with some real mass on top of that. macro breakdown is a popular one. thats good.

im in for training vids.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Okay day 1 chest and back done. Let's keep it simple. Couple things I've learned, lost and gained.

Learned:
1. Germans suck.
2. How to say, "No, sorry man, I'm not done with this bench. I've got 7 more sets."
3. 55lbs eventually feels really, really heavy.

Lost:
1. My grip strength after 10 rounds of pull-ups and 3 rounds of single arm dumbbell rows. Pretty sure its never coming back.
2. My lunch.

Gained:
1. Stupid chest pump.
2. The shakes
Post 4 IP   flag post
shannowman private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds epic man! Did you at least pull through and finish the workout?
Post 5 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Haha, Epic post!

Keep it up dude!
Post 6 IP   flag post
@shannowman haha yeah. Sets 9/10 on DB press and pull-ups were max effort so I was nauseous after that. The event happened between set 2 and 3 of the incline fly and DB row. Haven't been pushed that hard in a long while.
Post 7 IP   flag post
eventheodds1 private msg quote post Address this user
@ajones46 haha good work. Keep pushin and pullin to grow.

Haha simple physics to grow.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Hit the calorie goal today perfect, need to tighten up the breakdown tho. Livestrong app says 44:31:26 ratio.

Seriously is HUGE change from what I'm used to, had to force feed myself when I realized I was still about 600 calories below target.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Chest/back is nice and tight today. Melikey. Pumped for legs tonight already. @david12345676 ill see if I can record tonight, make a short mashup vid played a 4-5 times normal speed. Just thinking about that many squats has me already limping.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Hulk smashed legs/abs tonight. Vid on the way.

Anyone have crutches I can borrow?
Post 11 IP   flag post

185lb back squat. 10 sets of 10, in between each set was seated hamstring curls. GVT calls for lying leg curls but my gym doesn't have it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Yay doms!

Still hittin the macros perfectly. Also added Cytogainer to the supplement arsenal. Working late nights serving/bartending and no breaks makes it damn hard to throw down a decent meal. Just no time. Plus, got a friend at Vitamin Shoppe who hooked me up with a massive discount cause it was expiring soon. 6LB tub for $20.

Question for anyone who has done GVT, did you stick to the prescribed workouts 100% for X amount of cycles or did you modify for other exercises for the body part?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Dirkenhiemer private msg quote post Address this user
I generally stuck to the program. However when I do it again in December, I will not being doing dips for tris as it puts way too much stress on my shoulders. Gonna stick it out with Skullcrushers. I'm also going to do hang clean instead of shrugs as I'm trying to get my max up on that and it's really the only thing that makes my traps grow, so I don't feel like pissing around with shrugs. Other than that I'm going to do Stiff Legged Dead instead of Leg Curl. That's it. Glad you're enjoying it! Legs are bRooTAL!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenhiemer
I generally stuck to the program. However when I do it again in December, I will not being doing dips for tris as it puts way too much stress on my shoulders. Yeah, I'll try it out this first time today. I use weighted dips pretty frequently during my training before, I'll see how I do with 10 sets tho.

Gonna stick it out with Skullcrushers. I'm also going to do hang clean instead of shrugs as I'm trying to get my max up on that and it's really the only thing that makes my traps grow, so I don't feel like pissing around with shrugs. That was one of my other questions. The sample GVT routine completely neglects traps. What days did you incorporate this?

Other than that I'm going to do Stiff Legged Dead instead of Leg Curl. That's it. Glad you're enjoying it! Legs are bRooTAL!yeah buddy you best believe I'm limping Lol. Feels weak bro.
Post 15 IP   flag post
The first 5-6 sets of dips aren't bad. But when I get above that I start doing weird things. Considering I hurt my shoulder beginning of October, i'm not even going to attempt them! Plus, dips never make my triceps grow. Nothing makes them grow it seems..

The routine that I followed put traps on the same day as arms. So i'm going to stick with that. I believe I'm going to do 5x5 for Hang Clean. I may try 10x5 but that's only if I'm feeling super ballsy! :P

Dude, I couldn't walk normally for a week after I did legs the first time. It's horrible! And one thing I forgot to mention is that I hate seated calf raises, so I'm going to switch them to leg press calf raises I've seen some growth with these so I figured might as well keep doing it!

When you were doing back were you able to do all 10x10 pull ups? I used to be able to do that, but recently my pull ups have suffered immensely so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that yet..

Edit: This was the routine I followed. Pretty straight forward.
Day 1: Squat 10x10 - 60 sec. rest
Leg Curl 10x10 - 60 sec. rest
Seated Calf Raise 10x10 - 60 sec. rest
Incline Sit Up 3x15 - 60 sec. rest
Day 2: Bench Press 10x10 - 60 sec. rest
Pull Ups 10x10 - 60 sec. rest
Cable Crossover 3x10 - 60 sec. rest
Seated Row 3x10 - 60 sec. rest
Day 3: Off
Day 4: Dips 10x10 - 60 sec. rest
E-Z Bar Curls 10x10 - 60 sec. rest
Shrug 3x10 - 60 sec. rest
Leaning Bent Over/Lateral/Front Raise 3x8 - 90 sec. rest
Day 5-7: Off
Post 16 IP   flag post
Dude, I enjoyed the Vid! Was Pretty close to epic!

Props to doing 10 sets of 10. thats wild! haha

A lil bit of advice would be to go down just a tad lower on your squat. Like, an inch or two. Just my Opinion, I realize you're doing a ton of squats and probably don't want to hear that haha.

But overall, Keep up the hard work dude! Impressive!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Yeah I think I'm going to hit me some trap tonight then too. I'll superset shrugs with lateral raises I spose. Show the traps a little love.

My gym doesn't have any calf raise machine, so I just get under a leg press and scoot my feet halfway off the platform. Really helps get a full stretch and contraction. And now you got me thinking about subbing Stiff legged dead lifts now instead of hamstring curls. Much better compound movement.

And I got to set 7 using full dead hang pull-ups before I started to kip up and do a slow negative.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I've always done leg curls in the past, but just recently I realized just how bitchy my hamstrings are and I feel like it's just totally unacceptable so I've been trying to hit them like a mad man.. How tall are you? 6'?
Post 19 IP   flag post
@NorIda Yeah definitely. What the worst part is is the dread, knowing how rough the last set was, yet still knowing you have 2 more sets to hit. But yeah sets 2-8 were almost perfect form. I was able to review my vids before the next set, see how low I actually was getting. But then fatigue just set in.

@Dirkenhiemer close enough. 6'1.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Do you use a wide stance? I couldn't tell from the video. I have found that it helps me when I'm fatigued to use a wider stance and it's easier for me to hit depth. Granted I'm a little over 5'7 so there is a huge ass difference in height, but it might be helpful to try it if you already don't use it.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Dirkenhiemer Not especially wide. Just a comfortable stance for my hips/knees. I'll give it a shot though.
Post 22 IP   flag post
haha, Fatigue is a terrible thing!

Just tryin to help now, so you don't have to correct it in 12 weeks! lol.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I got you. Will post again going deep.

..who doesn't like it deep?
Post 24 IP   flag post
I see what you did there!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Tricksy...

Gah! You ever hit the macros right on the button, and you fist pump and then realize you're alone? Yeah..
Post 26 IP   flag post
Dude, ever hit a PR and start freaking out about it? Then realize that nobody cares except for my fellow shredder brethren.
Post 27 IP   flag post
eventheodds1 private msg quote post Address this user
@ajones46 hell yea! I love when i hit macros correctly.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Lol yes. But srs, sad day bro.
Post 29 IP   flag post

Post 30 IP   flag post
340738 262 30
destitute