Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BackChestSplit Advice

Having an issue with chest/back work outs.6327

Tylerj209 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi my names Tyler I work out six days a week 3 days on and 1 day off. I am no where probably near the physique the rest of you guys are on here mainly because I come from a obeese family. I on the other hand love to work out I still have a tummy over hang but I am ok with that for now. Now that a little back ground on me is out of the way on to my question. My arms and shoulder are the most dominate on my body. My chest and back are very weak and I am noticing that in my work outs I am never sore the next day. If anything on back days I feel it in my delts and upper back/shoulders the next day. Any suggestions? I recently changed my chest work out up and I am getting sore finally, but the kicker is that I am not getting sore on the inside just mainly the outside near the armpit region. I know the form probably is an issue but I am in the process of trying to program my brain to properly use my chest muscles instead of my shoulder/arms during chest day at the gym. The same problem is for back as well but mainly in the arms/delts. My email is Tylerj209@yahoo.com if anyone has a serious reply to my problem. I take criticism well but if you wanna troll me its not going to work. I am serious about working out and eating right to better my health and physique. Thank you guys for your time.
Post 1 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
First things first, soreness is not a sole indicator of stimulation or growth.
Secondly, six days is probably too much but its hard to tell without seeing how you have your days charted out. On what days do you do what?
Another thing, mind-muscle connection is huge and it seems you have figured that out. Focus on your target muscles to keep other muscles from coming in to assist.
It seems you are serious about impoving and that's great. Just keep asking questions, adjusting and being consistent.
Post 2 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
With Swole Pointing out the fact that getting sore, doesn't really mean much... I Don't understand what your actual question is?

Not trolling, I'm serious.

And I am Tyler J also. Nice to meet you. lol.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Hamersmash private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe try lowering your weights and slowing your reps, focusing on ensuring your using the correct muscles - Try even looking up the actual exercises on Bodybuilding.com it shows u videos so u know your doing them right.

As for exercises just stick with the basics:

Bench, flys, pullovers, lat pulldowns, bent-over rows and deadlifts mate.

Do a split like:

Day 1: Chest, shoulders, triceps.
Day 2: Back, Biceps.
Day 3: Legs.

This will ensure your muscles will get a full weeks rest between workouts maximizing your recovery given your a new start especially.

Use the days in between your weights sessions for abs and cardio and you'll be jammin bud.

Best of luck
Post 4 IP   flag post
So first let me say thank you to everyone that replied and secondly nice to meet you to Tyler. I just got out of class I actually typed my thread from a computer lab at my college. About the end of April this year I got up to 460 pounds mainly because of personal relationships from the past etc. From then till now I have lost 177 pounds and I don't look like a bag of skin like the biggest loser people. I work out at my local FIT-U which took over golds gym. I just want my chest and back to catch up to my legs and shoulders. I weigh about 280 pounds right now. My goal is 200 pounds and I am 6'2. I can do I because I have done it four different times in the past 10 years or so. I'm 28 years old so I didn't want you guys thinking I am over the hill or something like that matters anyways. My chest and back are my main issue right now. I am signed up for the trainer program at the gym I am going to so I do what they set up for me. I mainly did it because I wanted to try something different from what I was doing in the past, and lets face it knowledge is power right. As far as supplements go I am on a budget so I take a protein powder and multi-vitamin. I am cycling off of a thermagenic that I take in a week as well. What would you guys do in my situation? I do 3 days on one day off. For cardio I do 20 minutes after my work outs and I mix it up with a stair-master and elliptical. I haven't been doing abs though I have been doing a lot of different variations of burpies and planks in-between certain sets. I also do super-sets with the current work outs they have me on. I think the real question is did it take a while to see a difference in your back/chest? because mine isnt showing at all. Again thank you to everyone that replied.
Post 5 IP   flag post
dogtum private msg quote post Address this user
Tyler - first of great job and focusing on a true goal. A very good friend of mine was in a just about the same size as you and did the cutting and building muscle process. I would concentrate on increasing your cardio to 40 minutes. For your warm up 20 minutes prior to your weight lifting and 20 minutes after. With the one of the 20 minutes being HITT. Lift heavy with low reps one week and then next week high light weight high reps. I believe your goal is to stabilize at 200 lbs and your goal is very achievable from where you've been. Everything seems to be working your way, but remember to continue to keep changing your workouts up to continue to shocking your body and to stimulate muscle growth and reducing to your goal. Keep up the hard work.
Post 6 IP   flag post
isnt too much cardio a bad thing?
Post 7 IP   flag post
No cardio isn't a bad thing when your incorporating your lifting into your routine. Your stated goal was to reach 200 lbs of course your diet is a major factor, but cardio will assist in reducing the weight. The lifting will bulk up the muscle to fill in the skin since your lost a significant amount of weight. The guy I've workout out with is not going for his bodybuilding pro card and his biggest body complaint is his stretch marks from bulking and loosing all the weight. He was 240 and now 180. He has increased his cardio, diet and increased his reps to lean out and to define his muscles. Very similar concept but your in reduction mode to your goal. So cardio is a key element to achieve 200 otherwise you'll plato.

Again keep up the great work and it would be great if you posted before and progress pictures to assist others in your same journey.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I hate posting pictures of myself tbh or I would. I am 281 right now and this bracket of the 280's has been the worst. Aka the slowest.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Now don't laugh I'm having just the opposite problem. I said don't laugh. I'm stuck at 180 and have been eating like there is no tomorrow and don't do any cardio at all. I eat 6-7 time per day every 2 hours. Lift at 5:30 a.m. for about 1 1/2 hrs per day 6 times per week (saturday off and Sunday is a very light leg day). So plato's are nothing new, just keep changing your routine up so you don't get muscle memory and switch your diet up into smaller portions and try different workout routine. It will happen. My goal is 195 by Feb/March and have been stuck here for 4 months.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I keep my calorie intake to 1000 a day. Only becuase I know how my body works. I have litterally no real motabolism. So there really is no middle man I either lose or gain.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Tyler - wow 1000 per day and you have energy? Keep plugging at it and you'll get there.
Post 12 IP   flag post
yea I have plenty of energy. I eat foods that release stable energy throughout the day instead of having high and lowes through out the day.
Post 13 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtum
but remember to continue to keep changing your workouts up to continue to shocking your body and to stimulate muscle growth and reducing to your goal.

There is no shocking the body, Thats total broscience. The body just does.. it doesn't get shocked or surprised.

@Tyler Diet is going to be key. Your lifting routine isn't going to matter too awfully much.

It sounds like you're trying to spot reduce fat? Which again isn't possible. For example, doing crunches isn't going to give you a flatter stomach.

You're going to burn fat, wherever is easiest for your body. Everyone is different, but most people tend to keep fat on their midsection the longest.

and 1000 calories a day is ridiculous my friend. Your body has got to be in starvation mode, which isn't going to work in your favor!

My advice would be to calculate your actual Macro/Calorie needs using a BMR Calculator and doing a correct diet.

But it sounds like you're on the right track, You've lost a lot of weight already, and thats awesome. I'm not trying to bash on you by any means, so please dont take it as that. Just trying to throw everything out there at once.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Thanks for the feedback Tyler. I am comfortable with 1000 and that's what I can live comfortably off of as far as shopping for food is concerned. I only have 200 a month to spend and living in California gets a bit pricey as far as food goes.
Post 15 IP   flag post
340617 15 15
destitute