Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
1RMChestInjury Recovery

Mental Blocks6184

Dukenhiemer private msg quote post Address this user
As the title suggests, I have a mental block on my bench, rep wise I'm stronger than ever, triceps are at their strongest, yet I still can not bench 300 although my "max" is 340-350.
Any advice on how to beat ones self in the lifting game?
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Static holds with 315-325. Negatives with same amount. Mentally, you will more used to handling heavier weight. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
One reason I know I cant bench well is because it feels so dang dangerous! Especially with no spotter. One day I went to the gym drunk on whiskey and I bench more than I ever have for REPS! Definetly a mental block
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thanks EK, when do you suggest I do it? I hit chest yesterday, speed day then?
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I would do them on your ME day as an assistance movement. -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
Alright! Was planning on taking next week off because my meet is the 27th, looks like ill hit chest again this Saturday and then take the rest off!
Post 6 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukenhiemer
I still can not bench 300 although my "max" is 340-350.

Could you explain what you mean by this?
Post 7 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Psyching yourself out.

physically being able to lift X amount, but getting stuck at (X-25lbs) mentally..

Like knowing that you're attempting a PR, getting nervous etc and Failing.

I have no idea if that makes sense or not. lol.
Post 8 IP   flag post
cassious private msg quote post Address this user
My trainer had put on a bit more weight than I thought it really was and I finished the set then realized it was a pr
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukenhiemer
I still can not bench 300 although my "max" is 340-350.

Could you explain what you mean by this?

Sure thing! WSBB uses a 80% 5x3 scheme, at least the program I am running.
Last week I did 265 5x3 which using the percentage puts my max at 340 ish.
When I go to do a one rep max I can't even put up 300. I've got a mental block on lifting past that so my body refuses to do it!
Post 10 IP   flag post
G3NGHIS private msg quote post Address this user

I think your quest for greatness has been inhibited by your life of mediocrity.

You need to be freed from your petty attachments.
Post 11 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Okay thanks for clarifying. I posted this 1RM in another thread but have found that it's pretty accurate - http://www.strstd.com/ - 5 reps at 265 projects a 1RM of 315, which is still amazing considering your body weight but a little lower than your projection.

I think EK's idea is great. A similar idea is to try some board press (like a 3-board press) to get confidence moving heavy weight. I like board presses because it allows me to focus on squeezing the bar and pulling the bar apart as it moves upward.

What weight class are you competing in?
Post 12 IP   flag post
I get ya! I've always been stronger when I go to max out than I am rep wise. Not sure why, but it's always been that way!
When I can rep 265-275 I know my max will be higher than projected!

Like this summer, I could not rep more than 255 but I had a 320 bench!

I will be competing at 165 as long as I can control my munchies these next two weeks... Feeling kinda down and I'm stressed as hell = fat Luke!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Woooooooo!!! Just put 300 up super easy! Feels good to beat that shit. Brb time for some negatives!
Post 14 IP   flag post
cardinal private msg quote post Address this user
I Like @eknight 's advice.

Sometimes it's just a case of being comfortable with the weight in your hands. I'm not a big bencher but I've found it to be a similar story when I'm upping my squat. Once I was squatting 400lbs + half the battle was just feeling comfortable with the weight on my back.

Another similar method would be to get someone you know to spot you and tell them to take x amount of the weight, say 30% for one set. The next set have them take none of the weight but keep them by the bar. Idea should be that because you knocked out more reps with a spot using 70% of your maximal force you should feel more confident hitting that kind of weight for a lower rep range when it's 100% you.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Yeah man, EEEEK is the man! ; )
A little swayze for you all!
On a more serious note, yes, he is the f*ckin man!
Did a negative with 325 and I fought it for eight seconds or so, I feel like if it hadn't been a negative I might have had a fighting chance. It felt pretty light!
Anywho, meet is in nine days. Speed squats tomorrow and a little speed bench Saturday and then I'm off for 150+ hours... It's gonna suck haha.
Took the last two days off as well, feeling under the weather so I'm not going heavy on squats this week!
Post 16 IP   flag post
340752 16 16
destitute