Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingPHATProgress UpdateTraining Log

Shannowman's phat log6070

shannowman private msg quote post Address this user
Yesterday I finally got back to uni and to my proper gym rather than just my garage set up. I started phat and plan on running it for the next 10 weeks on my bulk. I've been bulking for the last 6 weeks and seen some gains, but without a proper gym it's been tough, especially for legs, so I'm hoping to see some good things now I'm on phat.

Day 1: upper power.
Bent over row- 100kgx 4,4,3
Weighted pullup- bw+25kg- 8,8
Db bench- 44x5, 46x5 (was testing the water a bit as I'd been making do with home db that only went to 46 and a bench that I couldn't get my feet flat on the floor, next set I thought fuck it, and did) 48x7. Will aim for 3 sets of 3 on 50 next week.
Lat pull down- 80x10, 100x4
Smith machine ohp- 50x5,3
Dip- bw+25x 8, 10.
Ez bar curl- 40x10, 42.5x8, 6
Skull crusher- 40x10,10 45x8.

Think I could have pushed more on some things, was hard to really get into a power only mindset.

Day 2- lower power
Squat- was tentative as it had been 4 months without a squat rack so took it steadier.
100x10, 140x6, 160x5
Dead lift- 100x6, 140x4,4 (didn't feel right on dl today, never done them after squat and it showed in my power, hoping I'll adapt to it)
Smith machine hack squat- 80x 12,12
Leg extension- 80x15,15,15
Seated legcurl- 55x10, 60x12, 70x8
Calf raise- 90x15,15,12, 10, 10

Felt like I'd made a good start, but definitely testing the water after the layoff any power exercises for legs. Now I know where I'm at, I want to push it a lot more next power day. Want to beat my old squat of 3x180 in 6 weeks time. Will get up some pics soon of where I'm at. Weight is between 81-82kg, depending on which scale I use.
Post 1 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Right on man! Pretty solid strength!
Keep it up!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks man! It felt so good to be able to squat again. Hopefully one day I'll catch up to your beast mode strength.
Post 3 IP   flag post
bunter225 private msg quote post Address this user
Big squats buddy!
Post 4 IP   flag post
all it takes it time man.

and you're playin it smart by not trying to max out everything on your first day back!
Post 5 IP   flag post
The bro in me wanted to lift with my ego for sure, but reading on here and stuff, Ive definately developed a more sensible attitude towards it all.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@bunter225, thanks man
Post 7 IP   flag post
thats awesome man. pretty sure 98% of us forget sometimes. unintentionally of course!
Post 8 IP   flag post
bunter225 private msg quote post Address this user
Theres often a big conflict between weight and form in my head, form mostly comes out on top!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Back and shoulder hypo day today. Don't think I've ever felt my back quite like I did today, was unreal, really focussed on contracting every rep. Don't know what is going on with my strength either, but my db shoulder press has gone up massively without me doing the exercise in 8 weeks. I'm guessing it's translated across from db bench increases.

5setsx3 1x5 @60kg speed barbell row
Db seated shoulder press- 30x10, 34x6, 34x8, 28x10
Pullups- 12,12,12
Db bent row- 42x8,8,8
Db upright row- 22x10,10
Lat pulldown- 60x15,12
Incline bench shrug-25x15,15
Side lateral raise- 8x12,12,12

Overall felt like a great session, feel like I could give some more on shoulder press next week for certain.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Leg hypo- really enjoyed today, except calves, they hurt like a bitch. Think speed squats felt more beneficial than the speed rows yesterday too.

Speed squat 100kgx3,3,3,3,3,5
Leg press-210x15, 310x10,10
Sldl- 60x12,12,10
Smith machine hack squat- 50x12,15. Think I might get rid of this, feels really awkward
Leg extension-80x16,15,12
Leg curl-45x20, 55x15,15
Calf raise-40x20,20,15,12,10
Post 11 IP   flag post
Got 2 workouts to log, been really hectic. Decided as well, with it being my birthday tomorrow, not to do power legs today but Friday instead.

Chest and arms hypo
Speed db press- 30x3,3,3,3,3,5
Incline db press- 30x10,12,10,8. 25x10,8
Incline fly- 10x15,15
Db curl- 15x10,10,8
Skull crusher- 30x15,15,15
Hammercurl- 12.5x14,12
Tricep kickbacks- 8x15,15,12,12
Reverse bb curl-10x25

Then yesterday was upper power, pushed it a bit more and broke a pr.
Bent over row-100x4,4,4
Weighted pullup bw+20x9,8
Db bench press- 50x5,5,5
Lat pull down-100x5,4
Dip- bw+25x10, bw+30x10
Smith ohp-50x4, 40x10
Bb curl- 50x5, 42.5x6,6
Skukkcrusher- 40x10,45x8,6
Post 12 IP   flag post
Marko private msg quote post Address this user
Nice man keep up the good work
Post 13 IP   flag post
So, last week I had my 21st birthday and kind of took the week off after Monday, didn't think partying would be too great for recovery! Did feel a bit guilty not tracking my food and missing workouts, but then you're only 21 once so in the grand scheme of things im not going to get twisted over it. Plus, coming back today I felt incredible, put on my punisher t shirt and got nasty.

Bent over row- 100x4,5,6
Weighted pull up bw+20x12. Bw+25x6
Db bench- 50x6,5,3 (bit disappointed I couldn't get 5 last set, think I put too much into 1st set)
Lat pulldown- 100x5,6
Dip- bw+30x 10,6
Smith ohp- 50x6,6
Ez curl- 50x5, 40x10,7
Skull crusher- 42.5x8,8,8

Then I did some ab stuff, cable crunches and side leans. Feel great, don't feel like I've fully commited to phat yet and already feel progression.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Lower body power today, was a great workout, but my last set of squats suffered, had to bail on the third rep. Did front squats for the first time in place of hack squat, found it awkward to get comfy with the bar, but did feel it nicely in my quads dispite the low weight I was using to get acclimatised. Also decided to man up and dead lift without straps. I've gone upto 200kg with straps so it's now my target to get there without them. Being honest, I felt my form was a lot better without the straps.

Squat- 140x5, 150x3, 160x2
Dead lift- 100x10, 150x5, 160x3
Front squat- 60x8,8
Leg ext-80x15,15,15 wish the machine went heavier
Leg curl- 60x12, 70x10, 75x6
Calves- 70x20, 90x15,12
Post 15 IP   flag post
Keep up the good work dude!

Front squats will never be comfortable. lol.

They are, imo, One of the most uncomfortable exercises out there.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Just felt like I was grating my shoulders across the bar. Was doing the California grip? Think that's what it's called, arms crossed. Are there any more comfortable ways?
Post 17 IP   flag post

This first vid is using straps, which can help with shoulder/wrist mobility

The second one is Holding it in a rack position, or a clean hold.

But its all about getting as comfortable as you can, and just grinding them out.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Thanks man, I'll try the straps next time. Other than that I guess I just have to sack up and deal with it.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Haha, they're worth the pain!
Post 20 IP   flag post
I'll take your word for it! Want to have the best legs in my gym by summer. Shouldn't be too hard, so many bench and curl brigade bros and half rep heroes.
Post 21 IP   flag post
AverageJoe private msg quote post Address this user
Allright, I'll do front squats tonight.
Post 22 IP   flag post
They feel great on the quads, just wreck your shoulders.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannowman
They feel great on the quads, just wreck your shoulders.

yeah the latter is why i always give up lol
Post 24 IP   flag post
I definitely pussied out on them today. Next time I'll do better.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Yea, I get bruises from them. My wife looks at me with a disproved look and asks wtf I did.. Lol

Theres a fine spot, before the collar bone, and the shoulder bone that you can set it in and it feels wayyy better.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
Yea, I get bruises from them. My wife looks at me with a disproved look and asks wtf I did.. Lol

Theres a fine spot, before the collar bone, and the shoulder bone that you can set it in and it feels wayyy better.

will do...will do
Post 27 IP   flag post
Swift private msg quote post Address this user
Not that i'd be front squatting as much as you guys here but, i find like Norlda said, there is a spot between your collar bone and shoulder that you can sit it in to make it feel better. I think if you want to try find it, rais your elbow high, as if you're going to front squat and kind of feel in your shoulder the part between your front and side delt, so it should sit across that part there and instead of on your collar bone or shoulder bone, it should just sit on the muscle and up against the collar bone, depending on your neck you should be able to feel it just touching that too...
I dunno but it works for me, just focus on keeping the elbows up and that should engage the shoulders enough to provide somewhat of a cushioned pad for the bar instead of it grinding on the bone.

Dunno, just works for me
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift
Not that i'd be front squatting as much as you guys here but, i find like Norlda said, there is a spot between your collar bone and shoulder that you can sit it in to make it feel better. I think if you want to try find it, rais your elbow high, as if you're going to front squat and kind of feel in your shoulder the part between your front and side delt, so it should sit across that part there and instead of on your collar bone or shoulder bone, it should just sit on the muscle and up against the collar bone, depending on your neck you should be able to feel it just touching that too...
I dunno but it works for me, just focus on keeping the elbows up and that should engage the shoulders enough to provide somewhat of a cushioned pad for the bar instead of it grinding on the bone.

Dunno, just works for me

i know that sweet spot, but either im comfortable on shoulders BUT get choked to death or uncomfortable but I can manage to breath
Post 29 IP   flag post
Swift private msg quote post Address this user
I always come away out of breath when i do mine, like i feel like ive been holding it the whole time. I just try 'gulp' as much air into the lower part of my stomach (best way to describe how im breathing while doing this) at the top before each rep. Maybe look upwards a little more to extend your neck a bit to allow you to breath a little easier?
I dunno, but that sucks that its uncomfortable for you, front squats are pretty awesome
Post 30 IP   flag post
340738 372 30
destitute