Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestSplit Advice

build that big upper chest!5920

sickrykes private msg quote post Address this user
im just kidding i have a chest well any muscle question really.

in class the other week they were saying if you start chest press, bicep curls any exercise really in the eccentric motion you will recruit more muscle fibers for the exercise is this true?
Post 1 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
lol I could get out my notes but ahhhh there downstairs. But from what I know about the eccentric phase:

-It is the motion that causes DOMS
-Muscle fibers either fire all or none and dont fire a little if that makes sense
-I am guessing the eccentric phase requires more muscle fibers... but again my notes are down stairs hhaha I am sure by the time I get up EK will be up in here :p
Post 2 IP   flag post
haha cheers @SRorhrbac0808 my teachers gonna hate me i question everything lol but when i started the course they told us to not my problem everyone else just goes with whatever is said
Post 3 IP   flag post
Dukenhiemer private msg quote post Address this user
Not true, a muscle either contracts or it doesn't.
From what I understand, as the load on the muscle increases, it reaches a point where the force on the muscle is greater than the force that the muscle can generate. This is why fighting the negative portion of the lift "hurts" more.
I could be wrong, I'm sure EK will have something to add!
Post 4 IP   flag post
also i have another question for ek. its not worth writing a thread for so ill just ask it here.

im aware that incline docent build upper chest and regardless of angle you lift at incline, flat or decline the sternal head (lower chest) and the clavicular head (upper chest)activate the same fibers. the minor isn't even the upper chest which is what a lot of people think but by doing an incline movements are you stretching the minor? ive read it in 3 anatomy articles now is that part true?
Post 5 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
he is going too say no hahahah

But yeah dude My teachers have said things in lecture I am like WTF??!?!?! But I just say fuck it and don't question anything... I am just here for that paper and I am OUT
Post 6 IP   flag post
farrkkk learnings hard lol
Post 7 IP   flag post
Azzdog18 private msg quote post Address this user
I pretty sure there is greater EMG activity in the muscle during the concentric phase of contraction.

Does this mean more muscle fibre recruitment aswell...or do I have that mixed up??
Post 8 IP   flag post
they said in class your meant to be 30% stronger in eccentric dunno if that's true or not but i can lower alot more than i can lift but i just thought that was gravity
Post 9 IP   flag post
Azzdog18 private msg quote post Address this user
Yer I'm not sure...gravity maybe have something to do with it.

We done an EMG analysis a few weeks ago in functional kin. and that showed more EMG activity during the concentric phase...so that may mean more muscle fibre recruitment aswell, but that was done with light weight and only one movement so I don't know how reliable it was
Post 10 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know about firing more fibres, but i'm pretty sure it makes the movement harder on the first rep as there is no stretch reflex or something like that
Post 11 IP   flag post
jmill private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah we are stronger during the eccentric phase

DOMS is caused by the microtears in our muscles that are most common with eccentric movements and this results in increaced strength.

and i'm pretty sure the optimal resting length is slightly stretched as there is optimal myosin-actin cross bridges formed which means potential for greater contraction. Not sure if that answers your question but yeah yay for learning
Post 12 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Any pressing movement "works" the minor, as it has to stabilize the shoulder joint. That's not to say there's going to be any kind of significant growth however, as the movement is primarily isometric.

Regarding recruitment, our friends at Brianmac.co summarized it better than I could in the following:
"Eccentric movements recruit most fast twitch fibres

Research, McHugh et al. (2002)[1], investigated the difference in activation patterns between eccentric and concentric quadriceps contractions. The researchers measured the amount of muscle activity as revealed by electromyography (EMG) and the mean frequency of the EMG signal. As a rule, the larger the EMG signal recorded the more muscle fibres are being recruited, while the frequency of the signal is an indication of how fast they are being recruited. Research has shown that higher frequency EMG is consistent with greater fast twitch fibre recruitment.

They found that the total EMG signal was greater during the concentric phase, suggesting more muscle fibres are active at this time, while the mean frequency of the EMG signal was greater during the eccentric phase, suggesting more fast twitch fibres are being recruited at this time. They concluded that during a maximal eccentric contraction there is less total muscle fibre recruitment, with fast twitch fibres recruited in preference to slow twitch ones, whereas during a maximal concentric contraction all the muscles fibres are used."

I found that Moritani T, et al. (1987) produced similar results using the biceps brachii. -3X
Post 13 IP   flag post
340609 13 13
destitute