Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
sickrykes private msg quote post Address this user
just trying to work something out.

only for example:

when you do incline barbell press your full range of movement is 10inch from concentric to eccentric and then you do decline and its 11inch of movement. if i was to stop my eccentric movement 1inch early would i have the same EMG activity as an incline movement?
Post 1 IP   flag post
skullay private msg quote post Address this user
probably not. the difference in EMG activity isn't due to ROM but more so from the fact that secondary muscles (front delts) are helping out more on the inclines whereas they don't help out on the declines which results in more chest activation.
Post 2 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Disagree- the greater number of fibers activated, the greater the EMG reading would be. -3X
Post 3 IP   flag post
Can the reading be taken just from the pec major?
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
If that's where the needle is placed. It's only going to measure electric impulses of the muscles that the needle is inserted in, not surrounding ones.

Regarding incline vs decline, as some studies have shown, narrow grip creates a greater EMG activity because it creates a greater stretch and contraction of the fibers than a wider grip. More on that here-
http://www.thegaragegymonline.com/2012/03/20/reading-research-effects-of-bench-press-variants-on-the-emg-of-5-shoulder-muscles/

-3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
Just in your pecs? Or including the grater tri activation from the close grip?

I would think the range of movement has a lot to do with it, would decline be a more effective chest exercise than incline because you are only using your tris as a secondary muscle and not your delts as well?
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Both. And most every EMG study I've read does, in fact, show that declines and their greater ROM create better results for total chest development. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
So if you had to pick one exercise for chest it would be decline? Would dumbbell be better than barbell because you can start wide as you move concentrically you can contract while moving in? Also I'm lanky as fu#k although I would struggle at chest exercises more than someone with shorter limbs would I have better results with the same weights because its harder for me to do?
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I wouldn't personally pick declines. To go heavy enough to be beneficial for me, they wreck my knees, trying to stay "hooked" in the bench. I would still advise flat barbell bench press over all other movements if I could only do ONE exercise for chest. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Here's another small meta analysis that notes, "As the angle of inclination decreases to horizontal, the sternocostal head of the pectoralis major (lower pecs) is activated to a greater degree. However, when the horizontal (or flat) and decline bench was compared, the horizontal bench came out on top with the higher activation levels."

"The effect of angle on the clavicular head of the pectoralis major (upper pecs) is mixed, although there is a trend with greater inclinations leading to higher activation levels. Trebs’ group found that 44° (compared to 0°, 28° and 56°) resulted in the greatest activation levels, although the effect size was rather small. It seems that if greater inclinations cause greater recruitment of the upper pecs, the outcome may be insignificant. "

http://www.maitlandbarbell.com/the-bench-press-effect-of-grip-and-width.html

-3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
This article is saying you can target areas and EMG readings can be inaccurate? It says surrounding muscles can effect the reading and it can only read up to 2 cm deep
Post 11 IP   flag post
340617 11 11
destitute