Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestSplit Advice

Hammer grip for chest5681

brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
I've recently started doing hammer/neutral grip dumbbell floor presses for chest. I love them. I have had huge problem doing normal bench press from an old old shoulder injury. But even my good shoulder does not agree with regular benching. I just don't feel it working well and I always feel uneasy in my shoulders. I had some success using a powerlifting style of bench, with a well arched back and elbows in and a slightly narrower grip.. but still never enjoyed it and never got a good workout.

Anyway. These days I start my chest session with semi neutral grip low incline dumbbells (I use this as my power exercise). Then I move on to dumbbell floor presses (neutral/hammer grip). Then cables from low and high.

Excuse the random info I'm actually just wondering what your thoughts are of a neutral vs regular grip for chest work? I feel that I get the same chest activation with more tricep activation with a hammer grip. VS similar chest activation and less tricep with a normal grip. I'm I missing out on anything important by ditching the regular grip from my chest routine?

^^
Post 1 IP   flag post
Zyzzst private msg quote post Address this user
Thats crazy man, when i hurt my shoulder the hammer grip actually hurt me more than doing dumbbell or barbell presses. But that was just my experience.
Post 2 IP   flag post
regular grip or neutral grip presses**
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Zyzzst haha. I guess we have different shoulder issues. Generally speaking a hammer grip is supposed to put less strain on the shoulder^^
Post 4 IP   flag post
cassious private msg quote post Address this user
it stops the front delt working doesnt it?
Post 5 IP   flag post
i had a slight rotator cuff injury....i stopped benching for a month and it healed pretty good and now i am stronger than ever....i would rather take time off and let it heal then work around it....that is if it is not that serious of an injury but that might not be the case with your shoulder haha
Post 6 IP   flag post
@cassious Yeah, I thing that's right (I'm sure EK can clarify

@Zyzzst Mine was a torn rotator cuff among other damage about 9 years ago. My shoulders just never feel right when benching - so I really need to work around it. Luckily my chest has never been a lagging muscle group for me!
Post 7 IP   flag post
340734 7 7
destitute