For example:
Monday: Chest/tri's
Tuesday: back/Bi's
Wednesday: Legs/abs
Thursday: Chest/tri's
Friday: back/Bi's
Saturday: Light legs/cardio
Sunday: rest

I used that routine all summer and it was very effective. I made some signifigant strength and size gains. I've grown tired of my routine, and would like to switch things up. Currently I am at around 12% BF 155 pounds (estimate) I am trying to bulk up to 175 in the next five months or so and plan to start cutting again in March. What routines do you guys suggest? I know P.H.A.T. will be a suggestion, but I haven't really looked into it too much. Thanks and appreciate any feedback.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Popeye25 private msg quote post Address this user
look into phat
Post 2 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
20 pounds in five months? Might want to revisit your goals. -3X
Post 3 IP   flag post
Markovich private msg quote post Address this user
A goal doesn't necessarily have to be reached, but simply something to aim for to keep you motivated.
Post 4 IP   flag post
bigloufsu private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markovich
A goal doesn't necessarily have to be reached, but simply something to aim for to keep you motivated.

Exactly. I don't plan on being 175 pounds in five months, but I would be ecstatic to gain that much. I'm only 155 pounds right now, and putting on weight has always been trouble for me. If I was to weigh 165 in 5 months I would be more than satisfied, but why limit my goal to 10 pounds? Why not try for 20?
Post 5 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
because if you're aiming for a number on the scale you're going to get a higher BF than whats needed.. why not just have a realistic goal?

Why set yourself up for failure, by placing an unobtainable goal?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Because 175 is my desired weight I would like to reach. I know my body better than anyone else does and I know what I'm capable of achieving. If I set a goal and don't achieve it, it doesn't mean I failed. I still could gain 13 pounds, thus not gaining my "20 pound goal" but still be satisfied that I didn't achieve it. Not reaching a goal isn't failing, it's learning and growing.
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Setting unrealistic goals is a failure in itself. It's called poor planning. Failing to plan correctly is still failing. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markovich

If it doesn't have to be reached, then why set it at all? That's what a goal is- a set point you desire to achieve through specific means in a specific time period. @NorIda Is right in warning about gaining body fat due to an unrealistic goal. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
It's not unrealistic though. An unrealistic goal would be to jump from 155 to 225 pounds within a year. 20 pounds in 5 months, yes is far fetched, but it's a goal. its the desired weight I want to be one day. Doesn't mean I can't work as hard as possible to get there. If I end up "failing", and achieving 50% of my goal I'm not going to get discouraged and just quit. Why is SS so negative? I simply asked for advice on a certain program. I didn't ask for my goals and motivation to be questioned.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
No one can give you advice on how to gain 20 pounds in five months because NO routine can do that unless it's fat or you're not natty. Your body can't produce muscle that fast. End of story. The reason you didn't get advice isn't because we're negative, it's because our advice is that no routine can do that. Don't be pissed if you ask for advice and it's not what you want to hear. -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
I didn't say I wanted to gain 20 pounds of muscle. I realize that is impossible. I said I wanted to gain 20 pounds. Yes my bf will be going up, I'm aware of that. If my bodyfat becomes something of concern then I will adjust my goals and adjust my program to moderate the extra weight. I'm not pissed by any means.
Post 12 IP   flag post
^ that, also

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloufsu
It's not unrealistic though. An unrealistic goal would be to jump from 155 to 225 pounds within a year. 20 pounds in 5 months, yes is far fetched

You're saying that 6 lbs per month is unrealistic, but 4lbs a month is doable?

We aren't trying to be Negative.. All we're trying to say is, Bodybuilding/powerlifting, whatever you're into isn't a sprint, its about baby steps, taking one thing in at a time.

Its great that you want to end up being 175lbs, thats a respectable goal. You should just have numerous "mini-goals" before that, like focusing on gaining .5lbs a week, and breaking Pr's. etc..

There isn't a specific program thats going to make you get huge. theres more to it than just that.

But Phat, 5/3/1, pretty much any legitimate lifting program will help.
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
My advice doesn't change then. Wanting to gain weight, simply for the sake of moving the scale and not caring about body fat gains is a fruitless endeavor. You have to then work twice as hard to take it off. Why not simply set an achievable, realistic goal- maybe 8-10 pounds and keep your bf in check throughout? -3X
Post 14 IP   flag post
I realize that BB isn't a sprint and I need to take baby steps. I have taken baby steps already, I've jumped from 120 pounds to 155. (roughly 2 years) I was the skinny kid with no muscle, with toothpicks for arms. Things have changed, specifically in the last 3 months over summer. I feel I'm ready to bulk and really take some big steps and transitions in my life. Not to be ignorant, but I've never been concerned with body fat. I have an extremely high metabolism and haven't put on undesired fat while training. Within the next five months IF I feel my BF is above where I want it to be I will adjust my diet and training.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Then Look into PHAT =)
Post 16 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
^^this. Also curious- if you've made great gains over the past few months, why would you want to change your routine? If it's working stay with it! -3X
Post 17 IP   flag post
@NorIda I plan to look into PHAT later today and eventually start a program by the end of this month. My goals are not set in stone quite yet.

@eknight I want to change my routine because I've been doing the program for a little over 3 months and the routine has become old and stale to me. Any suggestions EK? I have heard of people doing there routine completely in reverse one week and then normal the next 4 weeks, but I don't see any benefits of that.
Post 18 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
PHAT. Or Westside Barbell. Eat like a bodybuilder, train like a powerlifter, and the routine won't matter greatly. -3X
Post 19 IP   flag post
I've never heard of Westside Barbell, but I will definitely look into it. Thanks for the suggestion!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Zyzzst private msg quote post Address this user
looks like @bigloufsu came around in the end after reading this whole thread but forreal take norIda and EK's advice, they are some of the smartest people on this thread and they not only have knowledge and scientific articles to back up their words, but they also have the numbers and bodies to show for their hard work and dedication.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Zyzzst Yeah I was a bit ignorant I will admit it, but I also was getting frustrated being told that my goals are unobtainable. I understand what they were trying to say, and they were just looking out for me, not wanting my BF to skyrocket. =D
Post 22 IP   flag post
well i gained 40 pounds in a year.... or just a little over a year, i was a 135 pound basketball player and scrawny and now i have people trying to talk me into doing physique shows....i probably do have good genetics when it comes to muscle building, but that doesnt mean i didnt work my ass off to gain all that weight.......i am a solid 182 now with around 8% bodyfat....anything is possible man but just listen to these guys....and like they said westside barbell and phat are the best programs in my opinion as well
Post 23 IP   flag post
and before EK goes off on me saying its not possible that i did that......i was a beginner and could barely bench 95 pounds, i worked my ass off and stopped playing so much basketball cuz literally i would play for 4 hours a day and only have one meal and i was 6' 1" and 135....WTF
Post 24 IP   flag post
Damn that's really impressive. I also was a scrawny kid, and managed to make some serious gains. How did you manage to gain 40 pounds in a year? Except I'm 5'7 and you're 6'1 lol
Post 25 IP   flag post
well my height probably had a lot to do with it....i know this is going to sound so much like bro science but whatever im going to say it. I took a lot of Up your Mass by MHP cuz i got a good deal back in the day on it, i also literally ate whatever i wanted, i would eat kraft mac and cheese like 2 times a day, and i would eat almost every two hours. The more i ate, the hungrier i was in the day...it was weird. I worked my ass off in the gym and kept the reps low but the weight very high. I was definitely a noob back then and didnt know anything about diet and working out, i mostly did compound exercises and ate a ton. So this is why i recommended phat and westside barbell, they have a lot of compound power movements and it is great to grow. And last of all, my genetics had to play a role, if i play basketball for 2-4 weeks, i lose a ton of weight and drop down to like 5-6% bodyfat....i played IM basketball at USF and in 2 months i dropped ten pounds and i was still eating the same amount of calories i would on a bulk...cardio crushes my body. But sorry for the essay, now everyone knows my life story
Post 26 IP   flag post
glad to hear your life story ;p if I was to bulk like that, I would be a complete fat ass haha. I gotta focus on a clean bulk. TURKEY!
Post 27 IP   flag post
TheBangBus private msg quote post Address this user
@Zyzzst if you did that gaining... id accredit it to some freakishly good genes/beginners gains... kinda jealous
Post 28 IP   flag post
@TheBangBus it was crazy beginner gains....if i showed you before and after pics you would be like wtf happened hahaha, i wish i had a camera cuz the only pics i have are on paper...not digital
Post 29 IP   flag post
340763 29 29
destitute