Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestMuscle Imbalance

upper chest zzzzzzzzzz5424

BEASTIX private msg quote post Address this user
yeah my chest is pretty UNBALANCED, my chest is very big, but my upper chest is very lacking
i know i cant target upperchest, so what should i do?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Cozy private msg quote post Address this user
I had the same problem. All i did was really hit the incline DB more then the flat. After weeks of focusing on incline it definitely helped.
Post 2 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Ugh...doesn't anyone here use the search function? Seriously?

From a previous thread on said topic. Have fun debating this, as I'm sure you will. It can not be done. Period.

We've all heard for years, I'm sure, that doing incline bench presses will work more of the upper chest, right? Wrong. Here's why. Quick review of anatomy for those who are interested. The muscles of the chest are composed of two primary muscles- the pec major and minor. The pec minor is NOT a "mover." It is a fixating muscle whose only action is fixate and stabilize the scapula by drawing it inferiorly and anteriorly against the thoracic wall. In other words, it will not gain significant hypertrophy from bench pressing, because that's just not what it does- it fixates and helps keeps the shoulder joint in place; it doesn't move and contract the way that the pec major does. Next, the pec major- the large muscle that fans our from the sternum to the shoulder joint, with fibers running out in that direction. Muscles, as we all know, can only contract in the following ways- one, either completely or not at all (like a light switch), so there's no way to work only a portion of the muscle; in other words, you can't cause a nerve impulse to contract from one portion of the muscle without contracting the entire thing- just doesn't work that way. Two, they only contract in the direction that the fibers run (which is why pullovers are not a "chest" movement- they cause the chest to move up-and-down, not in and out). Finally, Electromyography (EMG) is a technique for evaluating and recording the electrical activity produced by skeletal muscles. It actually measures where and how hard a muscle contracts. Basically, when a muscle contracts it produces electrical energy. The higher the electrical energy the more work the actual muscle is producing. By attaching electrodes to the skin over the bellies of each of these muscles this electrical energy can be measured and read using an electromyograph (EMG).
OK, now that that's out of the way, some logic should dictate my next point- if you can only contract a muscle entiely or not at all, significant changes in how that muscle contracts shouldn't be caused by changing the angle of a pressing movement. This is why inclines do not cause significant growth in the "upper pecs"- first, there are no upper pecs, just pecs; second, moving the angle will not increase greater contraction across this gradient.
When applying EMG activity to the chest, what do the results say? Rather than citing each of the several studies that say this, I'll direct you to the follwoing meta-analysis, which has done just that, and quote some of the particulars. Have a read of the entire thing if it interests you: http://www.thesportjournal.org/article/optimizing-development-pectoralis-major

The first noteworthy piece here, states, "It has been perceived that by performing the bench press at the incline position the clavicular head is targeted while the horizontal position targets the sternocostal head. Barnett, C., et al. (1995) showed that the clavicular head showed no significant difference in EMG activity from the horizontal to the incline position but was least active during the decline bench press. "

Barnett, C., et al (1995), also found this to be true, noting "The incline press does not result in greater activation of the clavicular head of the pectoralis major than the horizontal bench press." (http://www.daveywaveyfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Effects-of-Variations-of-the-Bench-Press-Exercise-on-the-EMG-Activity-of-Five-Shoulder-Muscles.pdf)

Glass, S. C., & Armstrong, T. also found this to be true, concluding that, "there was no significant difference in activation of the upper pectoral portion during either the incline or decline bench press."

In fact, EVERY EMG test I know of said the same thing- isolation of the upper pecs, or even noticeably greater development of them is not going to happen from doing inclines. -3X
Post 3 IP   flag post
LVjack private msg quote post Address this user
LOL @ EK, I must be the only person that lurked on here for about a year. This comes up so much.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@LVjack Glad you're posting. No need to lurk bro! -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
Cozy private msg quote post Address this user
Another thing i do if im using the barbell is bring the bar more towards my neck (just under Neck) and i def feel my upper chest work. Maybe different for other ppl but im just letting you know what worked for me
Post 6 IP   flag post
adam82a private msg quote post Address this user
Wow this again.
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@Cozy You're not feeling a portion of the muscle contract more than the rest of it. Regardless of the science however, many people will remain firmly convinced that muscle isolation is a reality because they can “feel” different movements more in one region of a muscle than in others. There is in fact differentiated neural feedback from motor units depending on the relative length of the component fibers, and this feedback tends to be (or is interpreted by the brain as) more intense when the fibers in question are either shortened (contracted) or lengthened (stretched) in the extreme. However this has to do with proprioception (the ability to sense the orientation and relative position of your body in space by interpreting neural feedback related to muscle fiber length and joint position) and not tension, fatigue, or level of fiber recruitment. (That's why you "feel" it more...you're not growing more, or hitting a portion of the muscle more, as I told you already). Unfortunately it has been seized upon and offered up as “evidence” by those looking to support their ideas by any means available. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
someone should take before pictures of there chest and strictly do incline movements for 6 weeks and then take after pics..
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Or vice versa for flat bench. I did nothing but flats, but I have no "before" pics. -3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
i could probably take on this challenge but with 1 flat movement every 8 days for chest and a bit of pec-dec work.

i have red alot about DC training and decided to give it a shot, i am already an unconventional bodybuilder with how i train and it kind of fits my volume/intensity and gives me something to beat the log book for..

i could do incline db press, incline smith and incline barbell with 1 flat dumbbell press every 8 days.
Post 11 IP   flag post
but i do agree with what youre saying and i know i am here daily and sick of seeing threads with glutamine, upper chest and PHAT questions..

its been drilled into our heads here.. just noobs that really drop these threads
Post 12 IP   flag post
BEASTIX private msg quote post Address this user
Ok, i think that i finished my doctorate LOL EK!

Alot of people say you can train but in the bottom line I GOT NOTHING TO DO ABOUT IT, ITS PURE GENETICS AND THATS IT, we dont need to go through the muscles anatomy and the bio physical connection of the hypo thersis formula in the eccentric joint of the fast twith fiber about altering the genetics of a living organism or cell, such as color, fur pattern, behaviour, and more. It involves the introduction of the super nova ..
Post 13 IP   flag post
Eat2Trainn247 private msg quote post Address this user
@EK, just out of curiosity, what is your chest routine?
And thank you for having the patience to always deal with these frequents posts, though you have dealt with them 3544535 times!
Post 14 IP   flag post
broscience or not, when i incorporate incline on chest day, i noitce more of a swell in the upper half
Post 15 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@Eat2Trainn247 4-6 sets of heavy flat bench, 3 sets of DB presses, 3 sets of inclines (for overall development, not because I believe they will isolate anything), 3 sets of cable flies, 2-4 sets of dips depending on how my shoulders feel. -3X
Post 16 IP   flag post
alexmuller private msg quote post Address this user
@the1 agreed bro, not just that but my chest responds better to inclines, but I think it is the angle my elbows are at when I am on an incline and I dont roll my shoulders at all on incline.
Post 17 IP   flag post
340764 17 17
destitute