Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
AarronStenner private msg quote post Address this user
I was at a local event in my village where I ran into a guy who I see down the gym i go to. He's a Royal Marine ( third best regiment in the wolrd ) he came up to me and asked " how much do you bench mate " honestly felt like putting my head in my hands.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
why?
Post 2 IP   flag post
tarotale private msg quote post Address this user
are you saying asking someone else how much they bench is a bad thing?
Post 3 IP   flag post
if the first thing someone says to you about gym is how much do you bench is a fail in my opinion, he's alot bigger than me and benchs over 140kg. All i herd of him
Post 4 IP   flag post
why? noone gives a phuck about deadlifts or squats (no hate, its just the truth if you look at the vast majority)
Post 5 IP   flag post
I just think its big headed and you train with your ego when you ask people how much their benching
Post 6 IP   flag post
tarotale private msg quote post Address this user
well most of times when i get to know some people and we talk about lifting iron, the bench question always follows. its not like someone is trying to put up a domination on anyone, just simple curiosity to gauge up where someone is at. how much you bench? 245lb. you? 225lb. that's it no feelings hurt.
Post 7 IP   flag post
cassious private msg quote post Address this user
Its a way of telling if they are noobs. Its impressive when somebody asks about deadlifts and squats imo because they arent the majority who just care about just quads, chest, shoulders, biceps, abs
Post 8 IP   flag post
@tarotale thing is it was his first thing that he said. No contact preivous
Post 9 IP   flag post
AarronStenner; ever heard of powerlifters? what do you even mean training with your ego?
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Cannonball research it mate. Yes a topic of powerlifterd would be benching but your general person that gors to the gym now and again then no if that is the first topic I think its big headed
Post 11 IP   flag post
Well its not a black and white scale, there are gray areas in between; plenty of people that doesnt only train for the big 3 like being strong, and out of the lifts in the gym the most commonly discussed is bench press as to many its the most interesting exercise: alot of people like being good at it and alot of people like it, unlike the squat, and it doesnt take a whole bunch of practicing techwise to get good at like the deadlift (which also include alot of leg muscle, something alot of people arent interested in), and that leaves it as the coolest exercise as people suck too much at C&J, pushpressing etc etc

This pretty much means that unless you train ONLY for size and aesthetics and give absolutely 0 fucks about how much you or anyone else ever lifts, the bench press will always be a major topic in training discussions
Post 12 IP   flag post
Im not disagreeing that its a big topic but if you come up to me at a social event and start asking me how much you bench I will think you're big headed. Just my opinion
Post 13 IP   flag post
igg private msg quote post Address this user
maybe he wanted to see if you were strong enough to spot him?
Post 14 IP   flag post
@igg I very much dout it mate hahaa
Post 15 IP   flag post
Moyo private msg quote post Address this user
Next time just answer and move on. I get asked all the time, or even tell me how much they bench. As @tarotale said. They just using it to gauge in my personal opinion. If he is however being a dick then you dont have to hold a conversation with him. Simple.
Post 16 IP   flag post
johon6 private msg quote post Address this user
Totally agree with @moyo tbh
Post 17 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
If someones first gym related question is how much do you bench then you can be pretty sure they are a bro, a noob or an idiot.

You say no one gives a fuck about squats and deads but anyone who is important does.
Athletes, powerlifters, bodybuilders, oly lifters and anyone who is in anyway serious about lifting knows bench should never be the focal point of training for anything. Even in powerlifting bench is considered the worst of the three which is why people specialize in deadlift or squat for a big total.

I generally ask people what they front squat or clean because peoples opinions on those exercises can generally tell you a lot about how much they know about lifting.

When people ask me how much I bench 90% of the time I say I don't bench.

Saying just because bench is popular that it's important is like saying you shouldn't assume someone is an idiot just because they watch Jersey Shore, because hey it's popular.
The idea that the majority are right just because they are the majority is retarded.

Most people suck, the vast majority suck, when I talk about lifting I want to talk to someone who knows stuff and doesn't suck.
On this forum do you think if you met up with EK, Dwat, Ror, Alexmuller they would ever as a first question ask "How much do you bench?"...
Post 18 IP   flag post
^^^^^ Thankyou!
Post 19 IP   flag post
No points for you, sorry
Post 20 IP   flag post
G3NGHIS private msg quote post Address this user
There is a guy at my school who is very strong, I won't dispute that. We call him the Hun. The Hun has a tendency to get drunk and get angrily defensive about his lifting. Some gems include...

"I weigh 300 pounds." (Which was immediately responded with one of my friends unzipping the front of his hoodie and saying "No you aren't." which led to him saying "I meant 200".)

Him regaling us with how he is #1 in his lifting race bracket (Do lifting race brackets even exist?)

End lesson, if someone says How Much Do You Bench, I just say, "How much do I bench? Yeah, I don't really need to push people".
Post 21 IP   flag post
kbradley88 private msg quote post Address this user
the bench question is the normally the first question people ask? it doesnt meen he has a ego in the slightest, if someones first question was how many cable crunches can u do with 150lbs it would be just wierd...plus hes royal marine and im a ex royal marine so RESPECCTTTTTTTTT MOFO
Post 22 IP   flag post
got complete respect for him being a marine but not his ego
Post 23 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Not gunna lie..... If someone asked me how much I benched and IDK them before this convo I would do one of two things depending on my mood:

If I was in a chill mood I would probably laugh in their face hard, shake my head and walk away and not say shit.

If I was in a WOOOOOOOOOOO mode. I would completely cuss them out and get pissed, and yes I would look like a dumbass haha but that is what I would do.
Post 24 IP   flag post
AverageJoe private msg quote post Address this user
-Ass licking egocentric boaster bitch
Post 25 IP   flag post
pandasashi private msg quote post Address this user
lol i only bench 185 right now..chest has always been my hardest and most stubborn part to grow and strengthen...my friend can bech over 300 but i can curl 40lbs more than he does and deadlift 90lbs more (just 2 examples, i surpass him in nearly everything but chest)...so i dont think chest/bench press is the deciding factor when assessing strength
Post 26 IP   flag post
Well it asses chest, shoulders and tricep strength pretty much haha
Post 27 IP   flag post
Zyzzst private msg quote post Address this user
i have a question....how much do you curl bro?!
Post 28 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
^hahah nice.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I curl twice the number of times I fucked your girlfriend last week brah, you mirin'?
Post 30 IP   flag post
340750 45 30
destitute