Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingCardioInjury RecoveryNewbiePHAT

Can i build muslce,loose fat@ same time?5217

DFMaster240 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey sup guys i been working out for about 8 months now and stoped for 3 months due to injury, i am starting to workout and start to again and starting PHAT and start BULKING. I wanted to know if i can build muscle and loose fat at the same time or is it to late for that and i can no longer do that?(I have this belly sticking out of my shirt and its annoying, thats all i want to get rid of) If i could, how many times a week of cardio will be good, and high intensity cardio or low jogging cardio? thanks for your help.

(oh, please dont tell me i shouldnt start phat yet, i love lots of volume and i can defitnitly handle it.)
Post 1 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
unfortunately yah can't build muscle and loose fat @ same time... Only circumstance that you can are newbies, and roid users. Best thing too do is pick a goal and stick too it til goal is finished then move on to the next one
Post 2 IP   flag post
AverageJoe private msg quote post Address this user
this ^^
Post 3 IP   flag post
Zyzzst private msg quote post Address this user
loose.....ftw
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRorhrbac0808
unfortunately yah can't build muscle and loose fat @ same time... Only circumstance that you can are newbies, and roid users. Best thing too do is pick a goal and stick too it til goal is finished then move on to the next one
Yo brah, I just read that even if you train for one year, your still a begginer? And you could still build muscle and loose fat.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Did you hear WTF I said? Pick a goal and stick too it!!!!
Post 6 IP   flag post
HAHAHAHHA Better yet... did you see what I typed? lololoololol
Post 7 IP   flag post
Here's the problem I am kinda skiing and I really wanna bulk, but I have this belly that sticks out, I don't want to bulk and get it even bigger and I don't want to cut, cause I'll be fucking really skinny again
Post 8 IP   flag post
Dude I was in the SAME exact place as you. Believe me what I say that.

My advice is for you too get to a body fat you are comfortable at and THEN bulk from there... YOu don't wanna feel like a fat shit and loose motivation. Then you will just quit on everythig. So cut until your at a nice lean level and your comfortable... Then slowly bulk. Your mind and body will thank me
Post 9 IP   flag post
Ok, thanks dude. I'll cut until I loose the fat, then I'll start to bulk slowly.
Post 10 IP   flag post
No do it.

Aint nothin but too do it now!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Now**

haha
Post 12 IP   flag post
AverageJoe private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRorhrbac0808
No do it.

Aint nothin but too do it now!

The heart of a champion
Post 13 IP   flag post
Mixxd private msg quote post Address this user
The more muscle you build the faster/more your fat will be burned (increased metabolism). Build muscle first though for sure. Your fat will contribute to added strength as well, which is always a bonus in the gym . Have you also considered just doing HITT training, if being "fat" is an issue?
Post 14 IP   flag post
stewie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixxd
The more muscle you build the faster/more your fat will be burned (increased metabolism). Build muscle first though for sure. Your fat will contribute to added strength as well, which is always a bonus in the gym . Have you also considered just doing HITT training, if being "fat" is an issue?

Pleaaaaaaaase explain this to me. Does your fat contain roids?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Swayz87 private msg quote post Address this user
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Looks like this has been takin curr of
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie
Quote:

You kidding me? Its not exactly hidden knowledge- Watch some strong man competitions - Some of the strongest men and women in the world have large amounts of fat - I'm not referring to out of shape couch potato fatasses with no prior strength training but fat does assist in strength related sports/routines - Watch some american football or rugby too.

Have you tried to stay shredded and bulk by so many pounds without the assistance of roids? It's improbable. (unless your black). A proper bulk includes increasing weights over set number of weeks/months and increasing food/supplement consumption which will lead to increase of body fat (whether very little or alot depending on diet and physiology), which in turn assists in increasing strength in weights and/or reps, before moving onto the cutting phase (or vice versa, whatever floats your boat). Hence bulk phase, and cutting phase. Derp.
Post 17 IP   flag post
ThQuote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie
Quote:

You kidding me? Its not exactly hidden knowledge- Watch some strong man competitions - Some of the strongest men and women in the world have large amounts of fat - I'm not referring to out of shape couch potato fatasses with no prior strength training but fat does assist in strength related sports/routines - Watch some american football or rugby too.

Have you tried to stay shredded and bulk by so many pounds without the assistance of roids? It's improbable. (unless your black). A proper bulk includes increasing weights over set number of weeks/months and increasing food/supplement consumption which will lead to increase of body fat (whether very little or alot depending on diet and physiology), which in turn assists in increasing strength in weights and/or reps, before moving onto the cutting phase (or vice versa, whatever floats your boat). Hence bulk phase, and cutting phase. Derp.

You just explained that bulking increase strength, not that FAT does it. People normally lift heavier when bulking because they have more energy and it's a mindset.
I'm on a cut right now and still increasing my weight every week.
Post 18 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
@Mixxd Couple of things you're incorrect about. First off, an entire POUND of muscle only burns a whopping 4 more calories in an entire day than a pound of fat- so for practical purposes, "building muscle" does not increase your metabolism to any noticeable degree. In fact, a 300 pound obese person will require more calories (thus have a greater metabolism), than a 200 pound shredded person.

Next, fat has no appreciable effect on strength. Correlation is not causation. The world's best squatter, Phil Harrington, is absolutely shredded, weighs 180-200 pounds for contests, and squats over 900 pounds. I myself was benching in the low 400s at under 150 pounds and sub 10% body fat, drug free. "You have to gain fat to increase power" is the lame motto of "aesthetic" (read, "skinny" ) guys who are afraid to actually train and dedicate themselves to a power routine. Strength is a neurological adaptation and a joint (ie, leverage) increase- fat, and even muscle mass, to a degree, has little to do with it. -3X
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
@Mixxd Couple of things you're incorrect about. First off, an entire POUND of muscle only burns a whopping 4 more calories in an entire day than a pound of fat- so for practical purposes, "building muscle" does not increase your metabolism to any noticeable degree. In fact, a 300 pound obese person will require more calories (thus have a greater metabolism), than a 200 pound shredded person.

Next, fat has no appreciable effect on strength. Correlation is not causation. The world's best squatter, Phil Harrington, is absolutely shredded, weighs 180-200 pounds for contests, and squats over 900 pounds. I myself was benching in the low 400s at under 150 pounds and sub 10% body fat, drug free. "You have to gain fat to increase power" is the lame motto of "aesthetic" (read, "skinny" ) guys who are afraid to actually train and dedicate themselves to a power routine. Strength is a neurological adaptation and a joint (ie, leverage) increase- fat, and even muscle mass, to a degree, has little to do with it. -3X

science 1 - 0 Broscience
Post 20 IP   flag post
haha great post and I also had the same mindset before living and training with the 2011 winner of BC strongman's competition for 3 years - who weighed in at 315 pounds , had a large gut and would eat an abnormal amounts food but one of the strongest people-I've ever meet - and also the person who got me to where I basically am now-- his best leg press was 1900lbs, average bench at 650lbs, deadlift around 700lbs ( He's the feller I'm spotting in one of the pics in my gallery with the gut). Whereas my deadlift peaked at only 460lbs.
And I don't think you're using Aesthetic for what it actually means... skinny? Lol....I shudder to think that's how you think aesthetic should be viewed as.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Also, science is great if one's physiology and personal conditions did not factor into one's overall development over time. That's where you need to find the discrepancies.
Post 22 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
So... Great story there but none of your original posts were correct. The 300 pound obese person still has a faster metabolism than the shredded 200 pounder because muscle does NOT increase metabolic function to an appreciable degree, and just because your friend is heavy/fat doesn't mean that's WHY he's strong. Correlation does not equal causation. Loooooooove the guys who bag on science because it doesn't fit their biases. Guess what? All people have the same basic anatomy! That doesn't change. -3X
Post 23 IP   flag post
haha you can say whatever you'd like to say to make yourself believe in what you believe in but I like to believe with my own eyes when I train and I train with results. Those were results. That's why olympic lifters, pro american football players, and rugby players are at single digit body fat. Oh wait...Correlation doesn't equal causation..I forgot. I wonder if you'd ask them to shed down they would be more than happy to and still compete at their levels, right? Results, my friend. You only need a pair of eyes and a logical mind to produce a correlation to equal causation.
Post 24 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
420 pound bench press with a pause drug free in a contest @ 143 pound body weight. What "results" do you have? That's what I thought. Still awaiting a response to the fact- absolute clinical fact- that added muscle doesn't make a noticeable difference in metabolism or the fact that a 300 pound guy has a faster metabolism than a 200 pound guy, irrespective of body composition. Do you just ignore the things you're mistaken about? -3X
Post 25 IP   flag post
Moyo private msg quote post Address this user
@mixxd. Hes not strong because he is fat. Damn! He is strong because he is a seasoned veteran. I cant get technically into it. If what you are saying is true then i shouldnt be lifting what i am at my weight height and bodyfat etc. I weigh just over 210 pounds but i can guarantee you someone of the same height, weight and age cant walk into my gym and lift what im lifting. Besides, how long has this guy of yours been training for compared to you? what is his age??
Post 26 IP   flag post
He's been training for about 5 years now - he's 25 - And yes I don't say fat is strength -I say it contributes to the overall power he has that allows him to lift a lot more than what would be possible if he were not at his level. Trust me I've made fun of him tons of times for being fat ( and he would make fun of me for having abs and how real men should have guts and beards, which is why you're all probably confused as to why I'm defending his size and stature) But when you get the pleasure to train with individuals of that stature, size, and even girth it opens your eyes up a bit in that aspect of the fitness industry- It's not always about having rippling 6 packs and vein pumping cardiovascular as socially accepted norms have it.

@eknight - Your size and compact stature allowed you to be able to reacha bench at that weight ( as well as training and nutrition no doubt about it) - as with most people at that height ( I train with alot of guys that are your height who look like beasts and have incredible lifting stats- btw whats your deadlift and squats at?) But congratz on winning - I have nothing against that.
Post 27 IP   flag post
340752 27 27
destitute