trying to pick a new split to start so anyway i was thinking of
Day 1: Upper body
Day2: Lower Body
Day 3: Cardio
Day 4: Back & shoulder
Day 5: Cardio (hills, stairs etc)
Day 6: Chest & arms
Day 7: Rest
Fairly Similar to PHAT as I was thinking of doing that but i'm not really into power workouts so will probably stick to my 8-12 rep range and mix it up depending on how my body feels. Given that i'm not really mixing between power and Hypertrophy is this still a good split or would something else be far more practical any feedback welcomed
Post 1 IP   flag post
alexmuller private msg quote post Address this user
It would work no doubt, but you are missing out the point of PHAT. The power days you will gain strength which means you will be able to push more weigh on your hypertrophy days (8-12 reps) and in turn gain massive strength and size.

Took me a while to wrap my head around it, but once I committed I will never look back, I can physically see my strength and size gains go up EVERY week.

You should really consider it.

Oh and I see you only training legs once a week?? Cardio doesnt count as a leg workout, I did cardio 4x a week with 2 leg sessions, you will be very stiff the first 3-4 weeks but then the gains will just keep coming!! dont neglect legs!
Post 2 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
@alexmuller - well summed up!

@jmill You deffo need another leg day. Maybe replace cardio day with legs. And do some HIT after your Day 6 workout.
Post 3 IP   flag post
jmill private msg quote post Address this user
Cheeers for the feedback, @alexmuller the main reason i wasn't overly keen on the power workouts is because most of my training is to get strength and fitness for sports where power isn't really used all that much but i also want to gain size... would you still reccommend the power day as it increaces strength so I can lift more on hypertrophy days?

also @brian12 thanks that sounds good i'm liking that idea... As a newbie i tended to neglect legs a bit but plan on changing this, because my legs aren't too developed should I start with one leg day and work up to two in a few weeks or should I just push through pain now and see if my body adjusts to two leg days from the beginning
Post 4 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
@jmill

I'm sure Alex will still recommend doing your power days. You don't have to go super low on reps. You could for example stick in the 6-8 rep range on power days and aim to go to failure on one set per exercise. Then on Hypertrophy days aim for 10 -14 reps or so. And, yes, the heavier weights will benefit your hypertrophy training and improve the rate at which you add new muscle
Post 5 IP   flag post
What brian said. Power days will build your strength BIG time. And go straight into training legs twice a week! The sooner you jump into hitting them hard the faster you will start seeing gains and wont be so sore from it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks for the feedback guys, will definately be doing the two leg days then and the power days will stick to about a 6-8 rep range
so pumped to start a new split!!
Post 7 IP   flag post
keep us updated!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Ok so i figured I'll give a quick update

halfway through my 3rd week of this and loving it. Found all the info given to work and I am getting much better at dealing with DOMS especially with my legs.
and it turns out i love the power days and it is helping me to lift heavier week by week. Starting to see some nice gains (although not really on the scale but in the mirror)and am feeling much stronger.

Would definately advise this program to anyone out there
Post 9 IP   flag post
340621 9 9
destitute