Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
PHATProgress PicsProgress UpdateTraining LogTraining Programs

AvgJoe's P.H.A.T. log - Stepping up my game5141

AverageJoe private msg quote post Address this user
Well that's it.
I'm tired of my 5 days typical split, tired of working each body part only once a week. I need to step up my game. I red a lot about PHAT in these forums and I decided I would give it a try. Keeping a log, like many of you did, will help me focusing on constant progress: I'm kinda rowing air these days.

I did improve a lot last year (muscleandstrength's gonna do a transformation story this week about me) but I kinda hit a plateau these past few weeks.

So here are my starting stats.

height: 5'9"1/2
weight: 190 lbs
bf: 10,5%

Max bench press: 285 lbs
Max Squat : ? (will find out soon)
Max deadlift: 425 lbs

Going for a slow bulk
Diet: 2700 cals a day 45c/35p/20f
supps:multivitamins, creatine, whey, pre-workout, bcaa's, EFA's

I'm expecting to improve my strength a lot.
I may add more volume to hyper days cause I'm used to a lot of volume or change up some exercices depending of what I want to improve.

So, I'm starting tomorrow!! Can't wait!
ps. I'm a french canadian so my english may seem a little basic!
Post 1 IP   flag post
alexmuller private msg quote post Address this user
Looking good man, that diet looks a bit little for a bulk though??
Post 2 IP   flag post
skullay private msg quote post Address this user
I'm a big fan of PHAT, man! Good luck with it. Your calories do sound a little low for a bulk, but if you've been tracking your macros for awhile I guess you know your body.

Looking good though. Hope you see lots of progress with the routine.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'm a meso/endo type of guy so I have to watch my calories closely If I don't want to add too much unwanted fat, that's why I'm bulking slowly, ill add maybe 0.2lbs a week max. If I don't gain enough weight I might boost my carbs a little bit.

Woke up this morning and cooked a couple of chicken breasts, brown rice and i got my bag of fresh spinach. Gotta go work and I have a 2 hours break (I work in a gym) so I'll start the madness during my break. I haven't hit higher rep ranges for quite a while, it might be challenging!

yeah btw, I'm starting with hypertrophy/back and shoulders today. I've done a lot of powerlifting last week so I think I can give my body a little break haha.

Coming back in a few hours! (12)
Post 4 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Right on man! I'm def in!

You Look like a Phuking Tank!

Jealous that you work in a gym! That'd be pretty sick haha
Post 5 IP   flag post
Alright! so first day getting phat. I had a pretty good workout, the gym was empty and I did it in 1h20.
I worked out 4 hours ago and still feel my shoulders. Here's what I did:
Barbell rows speed work 6x3 215lbs - those fill awesome, and I love the sound of the plates on the ground when I do them pendlay's way.
Chin ups on the gravitron - 3x12 -70lbs (I know it sounds weak but i did it with a 2-1-2 tempo mega-full-range of motion)
seated cable rows 3x12 110lbs
db rows 2x15 30 lbs again all my weights seem low but I want to give phat a good start and really feel the muscle working and contracting slowly each rep
lat pull downs 2x20 90lbs
behind the neck barbell press (free weight) 3x12 105 lbs+ no rest military press dropset 8x105 6x95 8x45
upright rowslove these 2x15 60lbs squeezing those traps, closegrip fuck yeah
side laterals 3x20 20lbs (rest pause at the last set) + drop set 15x15lbs + 11x12lbs + 11*10lbs
Rear delt flies 3x20 20lbs + superset side negative laterals 10x30lbs (god I felt that)

clean and presses (thats called comitting suicide, just a small touch to tear myself apart) 3x10 105lbs

So yeah thats pretty much it can't wait for leg day tomorrow, gonna use my jack3d on this one, may be pretty intense!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Going to sleep soon, had a pretty good leg day, did a 100 rep on the leg extension my quads are still burning hahaha anyway I'm writing down the numbers tomorrow!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Alright, my hams are sore, which is a good indicator stiff legged deadlifts on a step did great.
Squats - 3x6 195lbs speed work
Barbell hack squats (yeah I don't have a hack squat machine at my gym..) 3x12 175lbs
leg press 20@ 180 lbs really slow and deep + 16@360lbs
leg extension 3x20 80 lbs flushing and rest-pausing 5 secs on last set.

stiff legged deadlifts 225lbs 3x12
leg curl 2x15 80lbs
superset seated leg curl 2x20 60lbs (hate that one)

standing calf raise 4x15 185 lbs
superset seated calf raise 3x20 75 lbs

leg extension - 100 reps (using rest-pauses) 70 lbs, just to shock those quads a bit more

Once again, my weights may seem low, but I want to get perfect form, range of motion and tempo before moving to superior weights!
Post 8 IP   flag post
eventheodds1 private msg quote post Address this user
"Once again, my weights may seem low, but I want to get perfect form, range of motion and tempo before moving to superior weights!"

That quote right there. Repped!!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Today's gonna be chest and arms day. Im planning on hitting my lower pecs more, and using a bigger volume. I'm really resistant to overtraining so I may train for 2hours. Gonna superset my bi's with triceps and finish with forearms trisets. Stay tuned.

Here's a shot of my leg

Post 10 IP   flag post
Lookin' good man

How are you enjoying the Phat routine?
Post 11 IP   flag post
I love the fact that all bodyparts are trained twice a week on different rep ranges. I used to train smaller muscle groups twice a week but not shoulders, legs, back and chest so I can't wait to see how my body reacts after a few weeks. I may change things a bit though, like adding more volume (cause I'm used to higher volumes) and switching up exercices (ex doing close grip on ez bar curls instead of shoulderwidth to hit more my outer bicep).

And I'm excited about working my strength of course. I really want to increase my deadlift to 500 over time. But yeah, thats not gonna be tomorrow
Post 12 IP   flag post
I hear you man. I was pretty much the same way. I'm loving Going Heavy, then going back a few days later with lighter weight.. on about week 3-4 I was hella tired, but I rode it out, and its been amazing lol.

and phat is definitely a program you can change up, so I def encourage you to do so. Just make smart changes!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Dragonian private msg quote post Address this user
awesome physique man looking forward to following your progrss as mentioned your surplus is VERY small but interested to see how it works for you! good luck
Post 14 IP   flag post
alexmuller private msg quote post Address this user
keep up the good work man!!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Wow today felt so good! I particularly love working out my chest and arms, so chest/arms hyper day is like my birthday every time.

Started with some speed work on the bench, and focused more on my lower pecs, so I did some decline presses, and after that I went for the pec dec to work the inner pecs. Went on with some decline flies and finished up with high reps and flushing on the cables. Next time I'll switch the pec dec for upper pec development I think.

Anyway. Yeah I know that's weird going for the pec dec before flies, but I felt the urge to use the machine so I just jumped on it.

Then I supersets biceps with triceps, starting with standing dumbbell curls and skullcrushers, then hammers and french presses and finally I exhausted both on the cables, switching with different angles and dropsetting like crazy.

I still had some more energy after all that, thanks to carb up day, so I did trisets for my forearms, with reverse curls, wrist curls and behind the back wrist curls.

Exhausted, I drank a protein shake to prevent muscle catabolism and did some hiit on a stationary bike for 15 minutes. Then I drank another protein shake with some waxy maize and sat down. Man sitting down is like having sex in some situations.

Here's some pictures I took today a few hours after my work out.

Im gonna post the exact workout in a few minutes
Post 16 IP   flag post
Bench press speed work 3x135lbs 3x185 3x175 3x175 3x275(slow reps, just felt like pushing heavier), 4x175, 10x135 exploding like there was no tomorrow
decline dumbbell presses 12x70lbs 12 11 9
pec dec 15x80lbs 15 13 15x75lbs
decline flies 15x35lbs 15 13
cable flies 20x100lbs 19x100lbs+10x85lbs+9x70lbs+6x60lbs+6x50lbs+flushing (ouch)

standing dumbbell curls 12x30lbs 12 10 9 (forearms got tired from pec work, gonna work the biceps earlier next time)
superset skullcrushers 12x70lbs 12 11 10

hammers 15x25 lbs 15 15 restpausing
superset french presses 15x60lbs 15 14

cable curls various angles and reps
cable tricep ext various angles and reps (working by instinct)

behind the back wrist curls 12x105lbs 12 10
triset reverse curls 12x60lbs 12 11
triset seated wrist curls 12x60lbs 10 9

I think I'm gonna add some cals to my diet, to be sure I use all the potential PHAT can give me.
Can't wait for upper body power day.

Tomorrow is rest day, but I'm gonna hit my abs for 30minutes and do some calf work too. I work at 4pm so I have nothing to do except working out in the afternoon (for those who don't know, I work in my gym lol thats so convenient)
Post 17 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
damn dude hahah Sick Kunt Pump!!

Great PHAT log man!! I love PHAT times OneMillion!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Lookin' good man, Def good starting numbers for PHAT, just keep upping them, rep/weight every week! Keep it up!
Post 19 IP   flag post
@SRorhrbac0808 Thanks man, I have a permanent pump on my biceps and forearms I love it hahah.

@NorIda That's why I started a log, it gives me the motivation to right down my numbers each time and try to lift heavier every next workout hehe I kinda slacked a few weeks ago, I wasnt writing down as much I used to do in the past so i guess that slowed me down.
Post 20 IP   flag post
hahah That is awesome man!! Solid as hell. Look like a damn OX!!

Yeah Writing all my numbers has helped SO much for me... Even on a cut it is nice too make sure my numbers/reps go up or atleast stay the same. Great motivation
Post 21 IP   flag post
I decided I was going to increase my calorie intake too btw, 3000 cals a day. But I want to be careful cause I get fat around the waist really easily
Post 22 IP   flag post
^ I get fat same exact place.

HAHA I have my b.f measurements and I got too 6% last year and in the past bulkd too 13%... The only number that really changed on the caliper was my gut fat... I seem to get striated everywhere and gut comes last.
Post 23 IP   flag post
yeah well we ride in the same boat!!!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Ok I've made my decision, my goal is to get to 200 lbs! So I'll try gaining between 0.5lbs and 1lbs a week. So 200 lbs in 5 months. LETS DO THIS
Post 25 IP   flag post
Fucking awesome workout I had today, I'm gonna post my numbers later! My strength went up a lot!!! I used to dip with 90 lbs for 6 reps, well I did 8 reps with good form and 110 lbs at my belt (2x45 + 2x10) I looked like a friggin machine! Stay tuned!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Haha, Thats awesome Flex! I took out dips from my routine. They were killin' my joints!
Post 27 IP   flag post
POWER UPPER BODY - HIGH CARB DAY
Good I felt powerful today!!! This day dedicated to upper power is insanity, I loved doing it.

Barbell Bench press 7x160lbs 6x225lbs 5x225lbs 3x275lbs
Barbell rows 5x225lbs 5 4
Weighted pullups 9x+25lbs 8x+25lbs
Rack chins 8x90lbs 7
weighted dips (LOVED THOSE, felt like I could add another 25lbs next time and hit 6 rep) 9x+100lbs 8x+110lbs
Clean and presses (Wanted to do those instead of military press or shoulder press for overall body development and exhaustion) 10x95lbs 8x115lbs 7x135lbs 6x155lbs
barbell curls 9x90lbs 6x100lbs 5x110lbs
close grip bench press 10x135lbs 10x155lbs 6x175lbs

God I loved it, did I say that already? Can't wait for next upper body power workout. Anyway tomorrow is leg day, and as Layne says: Chest is fun, leg day is business.

Random fact : I bought my first extra large Tshirt today!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Right on man! Keep it up! I have power day tomorrow. Gonna kill it!

Grats on the XL!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Oh, and did you like it!? =P
Post 30 IP   flag post
340621 63 30
destitute