Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressChestPower LiftingRep RangeSplit Advice

HEAVY WEIGHT LOW REPS4886

Frantic private msg quote post Address this user
Im posting this for a friend of mine , He is doing heavy weight and low reps . He does 8 first set 8 the second then 7- 6 on the last . He isnt gaining anything in his chest no matter how hard he pushes it . Ive told him to start aiming at abit less weight but higher reputations then gradually go onto the weight hese doing now and heel be able to do 10 - 12 reps heavy . What can this kid do to gain some more on his chest ? hese tried mixing it up from dumbell press to straight bar but still nothing . Suggestions would be great ! thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
Jelet private msg quote post Address this user
go for higher reps with less than 1:30 min rest time each set. thats how i grew most of my mass. people look at me and think im so strong when really i aint. i mean i am strong but im nothing special strength wise. focus on higher reps, that is where muscle hypertrophy happens. tell him that. make sure his form is good to. fuck recording ur workouts trying to beat what u did last time. just fuck it. go slow and feel the burn/pump. feel the muscle fibers breaking down.

12-20 rep range.

maybe do 1 exercise heavy though with 6 min rest each set to get strength up.

or better yet do phat to get best of each world. if he is new then he can drop a few exercises. to make it less volume.

google layne norton phat.

make sure form is good.

but it also could be genetics. but i doubt it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
shockingfit private msg quote post Address this user
In 80% of cases with no gains it's the diet.
Post 3 IP   flag post
BaiTu private msg quote post Address this user
Six reps aren't doing low reps.
Post 4 IP   flag post
MrMailliw private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockingfit
In 80% of cases with no gains it's the diet.

^^^
This

Nothing wrong with the rep range he is using; lower reps is the perfect range for building size and good strength on chest according to the SS article on muscle specific hypertrophy (clickable text)

If you are eating and resting enough and pushing yourself to beat your last workout then your chest is growing, it is that simple.
Post 5 IP   flag post
sickrykes private msg quote post Address this user
without being a parrot your 8-12 rep range is fine make sure your diet is good eat every 2 to 3 hours, proper rest and push yourself its not gonna work overnight but it will happen.

doing dumbbell press will allow you to have a bigger range of motion
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
6 reps is still warming up. Heavy weight low reps= 3 or less!!! -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
6 reps is still warming up. Heavy weight low reps= 3 or less!!! -3X

^^ Came in to say this!!!

Also:

1. Caloric surplus / clean bulk diet.

2. Lower reps. Check out the 5/3/1 program, for example.
Post 8 IP   flag post
cardinal private msg quote post Address this user
Eat right before you lift right. Some of my deadlift sessions consist of 5 sets of 2 reps or less. Gives me the same workout as doing 8 or more. Remember it isn't all about optimal rep range. Factors like time under tension are important too!
Post 9 IP   flag post
AverageJoe private msg quote post Address this user
I'd say, tell your friend to aim for 4x10 with lighter weight with a 2-1-2 tempo, full range of motion with no locking of the arms at the top of the motion, as Weider recommend it ;P . And yeah, diet is so important. myfitnesspal.com could really help for that!
Post 10 IP   flag post
340762 10 10
destitute