Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressChestSplit Advice

Chest Problem4633

correra911 private msg quote post Address this user
For as long as I can remember, my chest has been a weak point for me. The problem isn't that it's too small or flat. The problem is that my chest looks too big in proportion to the rest of my body. I think the problem is that genetically I tend to store the majority of body fat on my chest. WHAT DO I DO?! It looks like I just have huge manboobs. I DONT want my chest to get any bigger- I really just want a flatter, more defined/ripped looking chest. Obviously I need to keep cutting in order to lose the fat on my chest, but in terms of lifting what should I do? Should I stop lifting heavy for my chest and just do higher reps? I know there is no such thing as spot reduction, but I'm thinking maybe lighter weight/higher reps will give my chest the more defined look I'm after?
Post 1 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
Calorie deficit + HIIT = no more boobies.
Post 2 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
In all honestly, its a matter of eating less and doing cardio.

The gym side of things, yes you should do weight that limits you too the 8-12 rep range.

I would do HIIT twice a week and LISS 1 or 2 times a week.

This is just IMO.

Hope this helps
Post 3 IP   flag post
MrMailliw private msg quote post Address this user
Lower levels of oestrogen in your body.

No, you can't give your chest a more defined look by doing higher reps.
You can only do that by lowering BF% so do what dwat said.

What is your age, weight, height, BF%?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Isn't the 8-12 rep range for hypertrophy though? Doesn't that mean it will make my chest bigger? Do you not think it would be more beneficial to lower the weight a little and aim for 12-15 reps?
Post 5 IP   flag post
19 years old, 6 ft., my weight goes up and down between 165-170 typically. As far as BF% goes... I'm really not sure. I would imagine around 15%. I can see my 4 upper abs, my arms are pretty defined, but I still have a little bit of lower stomach fat, and obviously fat on my chest.
Post 6 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with Dwat.

You basically answered your own question.
Continue cutting, and lose the fat on your chest.
Some people hold fat on their waist, some on their thighs, just sounds like you hold it on your chest.

Keep working out, and keep eating correctly, and you'll lose it. It wont happen over night, but keep at it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
165 at 6', thats pretty skinny dude. I doubt you have actual manboobs. Probably just self-conscious about it, imo
Post 8 IP   flag post
Alright thanks. Also, as far as my routine goes, would you guys mind giving me some feedback? Currently, I hit chest every monday w/ triceps (I'm on a 4 day split). I do:

Guillotine Press: 3 sets
Incline Hammer Press: 3 sets

Superset: Cable Crossovers/Push-ups for 3 sets

Thoughts?
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Norlda

I'll post pics later (at work now). But honestly I think they look like MOOBS. I know my stats sound like I'd be skinny, but I really don't look like it.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Well I don't think anyone should ever be at or above 15% BF so cut

12-15 will also reap a hypertrophic response from your muscles. Stick with 6-10 on chest but just don't move up the weight - that will maintain but not grow it unless you change your form and rep tempo.

I am on the side of "Fuck inclines, just do flat for chest as you can do more weight" so I would swap incline movements for flat.
I have no idea if there are any benefits to guillotine press or what the point of it even is :/

I also think anyone natural and who isn't an advanced lifter (so 90% of SS forum members) will get optimal results from training every muscle twice a week.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Haha yea dude I definitely want to cut. Honestly I dont consider myself a classic "bodybuilder". I am not looking to get huge or anything (at least not yet). Just want to get rid of all the excess bodyfat I have, and see what I look like, then decide if I want to get a little bigger or not. Honestly just want to be really aesthetic.

As far as guillotine presses go, I once heard that they stimulate the chest moreso than a regular flat bench. However, I don't have a link, and it's possible that it was complete broscience.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Same here, just looking for mass mass mass right now as I have the low BF but that is missing.

Yeah not sure about it, looks a little awkward, like it could put stress on elbows or shoulder joint.
No evidence to back that up, just what it looks like.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Alright well thank you everyone for the advice. Looks like I just need to keep cutting and doing my HIIT/LISS!
Post 14 IP   flag post
340750 14 14
destitute