Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestSplit Advice

What do you think about this chest routine?4550

ilifthard private msg quote post Address this user
Was training my chest yesterday using this routine as I wanted to switch something in my routine before going to the holidays. The routine is kinda scary because I can barely move my Chest today, lol.
1)Incline Barbell Press 3 x 6-10
2)Dumbbell Bench Press 3 x 6-10
3)Incline Dumbbell Press 3 x 8-12
4)Barbell Bench Press 3 x 8-12
5)Cable Flys 2 x 14-16
Post 1 IP   flag post
igg private msg quote post Address this user
just seems like a normal routine...
Post 2 IP   flag post
Futurevision private msg quote post Address this user
Don't see the point of doing that much presses. Your chest is gonna be totaly exhausted just by doing Dumbbell Press, Incline dumbbell Press and some Flyes.
Post 3 IP   flag post
discipline private msg quote post Address this user
start with flat barbell reasons because you can push heavier than incline(do incline db after)

less pushes and more flys
Post 4 IP   flag post
alexmuller private msg quote post Address this user
looks pretty average to me??
Post 5 IP   flag post
Dragonian private msg quote post Address this user
Id do atleast 25% of a chest workout with non pressing movements, id personally do 4 sets per exercise and do about 18 sets total for chest but thats just me, i wouldnt neccesarily do your non pressing movements last either, thinks like presses can involve secondary muscles massively especially if your doing full ROM so puttingf flys second in that order or even first isnt neccesarily a bad idea
Post 6 IP   flag post
ectomorph94 private msg quote post Address this user
I feel like chest is one of the easiest muscles to overtrain. At least that's the way it is for me. I have seen the best growth with 15ish sets total for chest at a high intensity. By intense I mean short rests between sets, and just expending all your energy into that workout. The chest is a pretty simple muscle group so there's not much of a need to go too complicated in the first place.

Ecto
Post 7 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
If you don't have a spotter I would do barbells first so you can go heavier. Its easier/safer to go to failure with DB's.

I also recommend weighted dips. Maybe swap out incline BB press for dips.
Post 8 IP   flag post
cardinal private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by haole
If you don't have a spotter I would do barbells first so you can go heavier. Its easier/safer to go to failure with DB's.

This. make sure you lean forward to bring your chest into the dip movement more and weighted dips become one of the most effective chest exercises out there. You really feel the pull all over your chest. Great exercise for improving strength too.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Dukenhiemer private msg quote post Address this user
I've found that for myself dips are a sure fire way to injure myself. On multiple occasions I have pulled something.
Stopped doing dips about six months ago and have been injury free since.
Listen to your body!
Post 10 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
OP's routine seems like a lot to me. I'd cut out two of the moves.

My current chest routine:
- Pushups - 2 x 50 (this is basically my warmup)
- Flat Bench Press - 3 x 8-12
- Incline Bench Press - 3 x 8-12
Post 11 IP   flag post
Dragonian private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
OP's routine seems like a lot to me. I'd cut out two of the moves.

My current chest routine:
- Pushups - 2 x 50 (this is basically my warmup)
- Flat Bench Press - 3 x 8-12
- Incline Bench Press - 3 x 8-12

You do 6 sets for chest?
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Dragonian

Currently, yes. That's it. At times I may go up to 8 sets, but rarely any more than that.
Post 13 IP   flag post
AKK private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by haole

your post makes zero sense.

"dont have a spotter do barbells first?"
Post 14 IP   flag post
@AKK

It doesn't make zero sense. The implication is that your muscles aren't exhausted early in the workout and you're less likely to fail while going heavy.
Post 15 IP   flag post
AKK private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@AKK

It doesn't make zero sense. The implication is that your muscles aren't exhausted early in the workout and you're less likely to fail while going heavy.

hes already hitting a barbell exercise first. Secondly if you anaylze it a bit further. He said DB's are easier to go to failure but that means if he starts with DB's first he would be more likely to push himself since he knows all he as to do is throw the weights on the floor if he fails.

Secondly "dont have a spotter use a barbell" that might imply that someone whose worry about going heavy/failure sets on barbell bench because they dont have a spotter will probably not produce much growth since mentally they are scared.

In the end the op's chest routine is dumb, I understand variety this and that but theres no reason to do Incline barbell bench, then do incline dumbbell bench.

Variety in your training should deal with how you lift the weight not how many exercises you do.

Oh how does the saying go? The approach of throwing a bunch spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks is a poor approach.
Post 16 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@AKK

@AKK

this^^^

I know he is hitting incline BB first but then he does DB's and then flat BB on his 4th exercise. Its easier to go to failure with DB because you cant get trapped under it like BB.

But I also agree with you that his routine is kind of dumb and he could simplify it... Cut down on the variety and increase sets.
Post 17 IP   flag post
340750 17 17
destitute