Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
siddon41 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys, how's everyones week going so far? Hope you're sticking to you weekly goals.

So, I have a question on my chest. My inner chest is looking excellent but it seems like my outer chest is somewhat lagging. What should I do to help change this. Below is my chest day.

4 sets Dumbbell or Bench Press
4 sets incline dumbbell press
4 sets cable flyes
3 sets incline dumbbell flyes
3 sets flat dumbbell flyes

Is this too many flye exercises? Should I take out flat flyes and add another press somewhere?

Thanks guys.
Post 1 IP   flag post
OhhLoLo private msg quote post Address this user
4 setdb/bb flat bench press
3 setdb/bb incline press
3set pec dec
2set cable flys
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhhLoLo
4 setdb/bb flat bench press
3 setdb/bb incline press
3set pec dec
2set cable flys

is this your specific? or.....

and i dont like the pecdec at my gym.. i am a very small man (5'3" and the seat doesnt go up high enough and my palms are up towards my neck haha
Post 3 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
i personally believe you should widen your grip on the barbell press with elbows flared

do shoulder level pec-dec (machine flys)

benchpress 4 sets x 6-10 reps
incline dumbbell press 3 sets x 8-12 reps
pec-dec 4 sets x 25 reps @ 55-65% of 1rm

cable flys + cable cross overs
superset with push ups/ incline push ups

this is a chest workout i put a lot of my clients through, try it out in that exercises rotation.
Post 4 IP   flag post
so incline flyes are not so worthy?
Post 5 IP   flag post
AKK private msg quote post Address this user
Not this again.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Dukenhiemer private msg quote post Address this user
Lift heavy ass weight. Problem solved.
Look at attached profile picture. ^
Post 7 IP   flag post
knockout2281 private msg quote post Address this user
No science to back it but personally I feel the best pump in the outside of my chest during incline flys and dips. Try switching out one of your flys exercises with Dips and see how it feels. You probably don't need that many flys movements and Dips are a nice compound movement. I know they are my favorite part of my Chest/Tri day!
Post 8 IP   flag post
igg private msg quote post Address this user
FOR FUCK SAKE!
Post 9 IP   flag post
hurricane92 private msg quote post Address this user
This looks like a job for @eknight lol

But in all seriousness, your chest cannot be targeted by outer and inner pecs. It is mostly genetic when it comes down to what your chest shape is like.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Appreciate it
Post 11 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane92
But in all seriousness, your chest cannot be targeted by outer and inner pecs. It is mostly genetic when it comes down to what your chest shape is like.

This, this, this. Shesh.

You cannot 'widen' your pectorial major by widening your grip. You cannot grow a V-taper by doing all exercises with wide grip.

Its genetic.

Just go hard, lift heavy and be smart. Maybe try getting an adequate amount of sleep at night coupled with a good diet.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Swayz87 private msg quote post Address this user
@dwatson What a sec Dwight..you HELLA can build a Vtaper. Going Wide grip for Pull ups is def the best way....Chest and the muscles that make up the VTaper are faaarrr different.
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Probably going to regret this, but how does that work? You can not- through training, exercise selection, or grip placement- change where on your body your lats originate. That's set in stone. In fact, EMG activity shows grip width has no effect on lat development at all, and the real indicator for fiber recruitment is the use of a pronated grip:

"Grip width and forearm orientation effects on muscle activity during the lat pull-down."

AuthorsLusk SJ, et al. Show all Journal
J Strength Cond Res. 2010 Jul;24(7):1895-900.
Affiliation
Department of Kinesiology, The Pennsylvania State University-Berks, Reading, Pennsylvania.
Abstract
Based on electromyographic (EMG) studies, an anterior (in front of the face) wide grip with a pronated forearm has been recommended as the optimal lat pull-down (LPD) variation for strengthening the latissimus dorsi (LD) (Signorile, JF, Zink, A, and Szwed, S. J Strength Cond Res 16: 539-546, 2002; Wills, R, Signorile, J, Perry, A, Tremblay, L, and Kwiatkowski, K. Med Sci Sports Exerc 26: S20, 1994). However, it is not clear whether this finding was because of grip width or forearm orientation. This study aimed to resolve this issue by comparing wide-pronated, wide-supinated, narrow-pronated, and narrow-supinated grips of an anterior LPD. Twelve healthy men performed the 4 grip variations using an experimentally determined load of 70% of 1 repetition maximum. Two trials of 5 repetitions were analyzed for each grip type. Participants maintained a cadence of 2-second concentric and 2-second eccentric phases. The grip widths were normalized for each individual by using a wide grip that corresponded to their carrying width and a narrow grip that matched their biacromial diameter. Surface EMG of the LD, middle trapezius (MT), and biceps brachii (BB) was recorded, and the root mean square of the EMG was normalized, using a maximum isometric voluntary contraction. Repeated-measures analysis of variance for each muscle revealed that a pronated grip elicited greater LD activity than a supinated grip (p < 0.05), but had no influence of grip type on the MT and BB muscles. Based on these findings, an anterior LPD with pronated grip is recommended for maximally activating the LD, irrespective of the grip width (carrying width or biacromial diameter).

-3X
Post 14 IP   flag post
Swayz87 private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight

Mmmm for the most part that seems like it would say Grip doesn't matter....But Couple things: I can't say there is gunna be a 100% Turn over from EMG Measurement...to actual growth. These guys only measured EMG activity. They didn't do a study on Muscle growth. Basically they didn't take 5 guys some doing close only some doing wide only and then test there Lat progress. I believe that would of been a better more Real World study. While the one above is of course Real World. It is def more of a Lab world study. Now it's a little hard to do a study the way I mentioned it. You would have SOOO many factors going into it. Genetics included.

I think another pount I was trying to make here. Was that Wide grip is the best for overall working of the ENTIRE Lat muscle. Not just parts of the muscle. So ya I'm not preaching like Wide grip curls for bigger peak kind of stuff. Im saying more along the lines something like Keeping you Elbows tucked during Pressing movements is the best way to work the Tri.

But yaaaa you did make good points...just some that didnt apply to me. Such as the first statement. "You can not- through training, exercise selection, or grip placement- change where on your body your lats originate." Well ya I agree I don't think anything can change were your lats Originate. This statement is flawed I was talking doing Wide Grip for the BEST OVERALL LAT Progress. Not Isolated progress. Now you are saying that is also false here with that study and for the most part I'd say most likely true...but not 100% more like 80% for sure....
Post 15 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you EK.

Find me a study showing you can change the shape by changing grip placement and I'll change my mind.
Post 16 IP   flag post
340733 16 16
destitute