Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingPHATTraining LogTraining Programs

Bqrk's PHAT log4448

Bqrk private msg quote post Address this user
First post, Hey.

Starting a log in here simply to keep everything organized + to get some tricks and/or tips on the way from you guys. I've noticed that many of you believe in Layne's PHAT routine with good results and progress coming out of it, so decided to give it a shot. Started the routine last Monday, so just finished up my first week on it. Will be logging from tomorrow and on.

Quick background: Been lifting with various results for around 2 years. Played soccer semi-pro for 3-4 years before that. Spent the last year in the Norwegian Army, which really motivated me to get serious with the training and nutrition. Looking to bulk up before doing a slow cut. I would say I am around 10% BF at the moment.

Stats:
Height: 6'0
Weight: 187,4 pounds

Current best lifts:
Squat: 165kg
Bench: 117,5kg
Deadlift: 170kg

Diet:

Meal 1: 80g oats with 150g Skyr(dairy product from Iceland, similar macros as in fat free greek yoghurt), 2 whole eggs, 1tbsp almond butter + multi vits.

Meal 2: 200g chicken, 80g brown rice, 40g broccoli

Meal 3(usually pre workout): 60g oats, 40g whey

Meal 4 (post workout: 40g whey, 40g Vitargo or a banana/other fruit.

Meal 5: 200g salmon, 100g brown rice or whole-wheat pasta, salad with peppers, onion, tomatoes etc.

Meal 6: 200g chicken, 100g potatoes or yams, 20g almonds

Meal 7: 150g cottage cheese with 1 scoop casein protein.

Supplements: PWO, BCAA's, Fish oils, Whey and casein protein, multi vits.

Some pics of current form:

Post 1 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Right on, welcome to the forum man! Good luck with PHAT!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Upper Body Power Day:

BB rows:
110lbs warmup x8, 220lbs x3, 225lbs x3, 220lbs x5

Weighted pullups: BW+33lbs x7,BW+22lbs x9

Pullups behind neck: BW+22lbs x8,BW+22lbs x7

DB chest press: 92,5lbs x5, 92,5lbs x5, 97lbs x3

Weighted dips: BW+33lbs x9, BW+33lbs x7

DB shoulder press: 70,5lbs x8, 75lbs x6, 75lbs x6

EZ-bar curl: 82lbs x10, 104lbs x9 , 104lbs x6

Close grip bench: 155lbs x8 @ 3 sets.

Converted from kg's to lbs.
Subbed out the rack chins cause it was taken + the french press with CG bench. Pretty good start to the routine, looking forward to some squatting tomorrow!
Post 3 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
Best of luck man, you should be happy w/ PHAT.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thanks, hoping for some solid gains in both strength and mass! Really enjoyed the style of training on the power days too..
Post 5 IP   flag post
I love that you converted to lbs lol. i know 1kg is roughly 2lbs, but it still confuses me every time. lol
Post 6 IP   flag post
Hahah, I assumed it would be easier to relate to for you guys. I guess there's not really a lot of 70,5 DBs lying around....
Post 7 IP   flag post
MrMailliw private msg quote post Address this user
@NorIda
From UK so everybody works in kg.
First few months of talking and researching online I jumped onto my phone all the time and did 2.2x whatever it was in lbs just to make sense of it.
Now I got a a good idea all the time.
Post 8 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
DAMN BRO!!!!! You must be eating those beef cake patties. Solid strength
Post 9 IP   flag post
@SRorhrbac0808

Haha, yeah working on it.
Actually grazing on some of this shit atm, post workout meal:

Beef salad with brown rice on the side. Good shit.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Okay, so just finished up my Power Day on the legs. Was a good workout, even though the air condition were broke and my shirt was dripping from the first warm up set of squats, hah.

Lower Body Power Day:

Squat: warmup 132lbs x8, 264lbs x5, 308lbs x5, 330lbs x3

taped the last set of 3 reps, and noticed I probably should've stayed at 308lbs with deeper form.

Hacksquat machine:573lbs x10, 680lbs x7, 695lbs x6

had to put on some DB's because the machine only went up to 573lbs(260kg)

Leg extensions: 238lbs x8, 251lbs x6

Stiff leg deads: 242lbs x8, 286lbs x6, 308lbs x3

Lying ham curls: 77lbs x6, 88lbs x6

Seated calf raise: 88lbs x10 @2, 110lbs x8

Also did some abs; 3 sets of hanging leg raises, 2 sets of weighted crunches superset with decline crunches.

Pretty solid workout, im not really sure if the hack squat numbers are for real though, as I've never really done that exercise. For all I know the machine might be numbered out in lbs, not kg, so yell at me if it sounds too high.

Some pictures from the workout;

Post 11 IP   flag post
Pretty solid lifts man! How are you Likin' PHAT so far!?
Post 12 IP   flag post
jweig private msg quote post Address this user
Wow i felt like as i was reading this that you were stealing all your stats from my workout journal. I started PHAT a few weeks ago and we're basically the same build and our numbers are almost all identical. I was like this guys got some pretty solid numbers and i realized mine are almost the same so that made me feel a little better about myself! Keep working hard youll love PHAT cant wait to see the results!
Post 13 IP   flag post
@NorIda

So far so good as they say. Haven't done a lot of work in the 3-5 rep range before PHAT, so really liking the variation so far.

@jweig

Hah, I guess that's kinda random. Got some footage from the workout if you want to see the lifts..
Post 14 IP   flag post
Right on, I love the Heavy Days.

The variation is great, I just recently started PHAT myself.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Yeah, actually lurked your log for some motivation before I started the thread so! How long have you been running it, and any good results and numbers yet?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Watch out @SRorhrbac0808, We've got a lurker!

This is only my second week running it, so I can't say there have been any huge improvements or anything. But I am definitely comfortable with my current lifts, so its a bonus if they continue to go up, which they should with my Diet and routine!

But loving the program so far, I used to run a 5 day split. Def enjoy the change in working all muscle groups twice a week, and excited to see some results.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Yeah, seems like you're throwing up some pretty good numbers on the lifts. Impressed! Def gonna follow your log then, some nice motivation, as we're running the same routine and all.

I'm going down to Southern Europe for holidays for a week this Friday, so probably won't be able to run out the full PHAT program next week, which really bugs me off. But found a nearby gym, so no excuses.

Can't wait to see the results in a month or two. Seems like a really easy program to stay motivated for because of the variation with power and hypertrophy days!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Ya man, Tryin' to stay at it as hard as I can! Its kinda rough livin' in a small town, which has a small gym! But I make it work!

Glad to here I motivate someone, because I get tons of motivation from everyone on here. Love it.

Best of luck on the Vacation and working out! Idk how long you've been hitting the gym hard, but you could always do a Deload week if it would fit in. Just an idea.
Post 19 IP   flag post
ryzymillzy private msg quote post Address this user
i like the idea of posting a few misc photos of each workout.. keep it up man!
Post 20 IP   flag post
skullay private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure how I missed this. We have really similar specs. I'm 6'1" 195lbs. Our lifts are pretty close for the most part too.

I think you'll like PHAT a lot man. The mix between power and hypertrophy is what really hooked me too, and at the time I was looking for a routine that had me hitting everything twice/week.

Good luck with it!
Post 21 IP   flag post
@ryzymillzy
Yeah, I was thinking why not. Makes it a little more interesting too, thanks!

@skullay
Just started the log though, checked out your last vid of the progress and you got some nice results. Really encouraging to see people hitting up good progress with the routine I just started out, so motivation right there. Good luck with your Westside Barbell program, probably a wise choice to do a semi power-routine like PHAT before going all bananas with the heavy weights! Will be checking that out for sure!

Actually today is supposed to be the first rest day, but since I probably won't be able to hit the gym on Friday (My plane to Croatia leaves at 7.00AM), I'll have to be a bit flexible.

So doing back and shoulders hypertrophy today, and resting friday+sunday. Updates on that coming up in a few hours!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Third workout on PHAT completed, and all the volume made it a pretty intense session. Felt good though, and chugged down bottle after bottle with water like a hero!

Back and shoulders Hypertrophy:

Speed BB-Rows: 110lbs x6 warmup, 154lbs
x4, 176lbs x4, 187lbs x3, 165lbs x5 @3 last sets

As this was my first time doing any speed work on the program I really had to experiment a little with the weight. 187lbs turned out to happen in shabby form, so decreased the weight to really get that explosiveness in the concentric phase.

Weighted Pullups: 33lbs+BW x6 drop set to BW x4, 33lbs+BW x5 drop set to BW x3

Really want to bring up my pullups so switches out the rack chins for weighted pullups this time. Had to drop of the extra weight to get the higher rep range.

Seated Cable Row: 165lbs x10, 187lbs x10, 202lbs x8

Dumbbell Row: 70lbs x15, 80lbs x13

Close Grip Pulldowns: 120lbs x15 @2sets

Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 70lbs x10 @2 sets, 75lbs x8

Dumbbell Side Raise: 18lbs x14, 22lbs x12 @2sets

Rear Lateral Raise superset with Face Pull:
9lbs x12 with 77lbs x8, 9lbs x10 with 88lbs x6

Shrugs /w Barbell: 155lbs x8 @ 2 sets.

Kept my rest time to around 60-90 seconds, and really got to feel some good old pain in the end of the workout. Emphasized form over weights, + hitting the designated rep ranges. Good workout with a lot of volume!

Post-workout I chugged down 40grams of ON Hydrowhey with 30g dried pineapple. Then went home for a really good homecooked meal! Looking forward to Legs again tomorrow. Had to do 4 days in a row because of the holiday I'm leaving for on Friday. But with the right amount of sleep and food I think I'll be ok!

Slapping up some pics for fun;

Biceps is going wild after 3 exercises of back. Looking forward to hitting arms on this program!

Really enjoying living at home this summer. Dinner on the table when I came home from the gym. Home made albondigas (Spanish meat balls) in a tomato sauce with salad, some chicken breast and pasta!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Christf private msg quote post Address this user
Post more pics of your gym!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Farris private msg quote post Address this user
Yo, what does P.H.A.T. stand for?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Power Hypertrophy Adaptive Training

Read up on this if you're interested:
http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html
Post 26 IP   flag post
That food looks delicious!

Speed work was weird for me to get used to as well!
Post 27 IP   flag post
@NorIda

Did taste really good! Hit the gym today?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Here in a couple hours after work! Gonna kill my legs! leg hypo day!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Okey, smash them up real good then! Got my hypo day tomorrow, can't wait!
Post 30 IP   flag post
340614 30 30
destitute