Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
NewbiePHATSplit AdviceTraining Programs

Need clarification on the PHAT workout.4309

nerifes private msg quote post Address this user
I have just started bodybuilding and strength building entirely. Please forgive if I sound completely handicapped at everything.

I have been using the PHAT workout for the past 2 weeks headed up on my 3rd. Before I advance any further I would like to make sure I am performing the workout correctly.

On the power days. this is the routine I am faced with:

Pulling Power Movement: Bent over or Pendlay rows
3 sets of 3-5 reps
Assistance Pulling movement: Weighted Pull ups
2 sets of 6-10 reps
Auxiliary Pulling movement: Rack chins
2 sets of 6-10 reps
Pressing Power Movement: Flat dumbbell presses
3 sets of 3-5 reps
Assistance pressing movement: Weighted dips
2 sets of 6-10 reps
Assistance pressing movement: Seated dumbbell shoulder presses
3 sets of 6-10 reps
Auxiliary curling movement: Cambered bar curls
3 sets of 6-10 reps
Auxiliary extension movement: Skull crushers
3 sets of 6-10 reps

My understanding is that on the POWER movements I am to use my absolute maximum weight and use all my strength with a rest time adequate enough to fulfill the next set.

My questions are:
Do I apply the same attitude towards the other exercises on that day? Meaning use max weight and push hard or go home and rest enough to do the next set on each exercise?

I have been using my max and pushing for max reps (5 on the power movements and 10 on the others) on my power days. However my rest times differ. Is that correct? Or should I rest as much as I do the power exercises on the other exercises?

Final question, on the hypertrophy days, after the speed exercise, the exercises following, I use my current max weight the max on my power days and perform the reps and sets provided for the hypertrophy days, correct?

Example of what I am doing:
Power day flat dumbbell press: 3 sets of 5 reps 70 pounds. (It's my max at the moment...)
Hypertrophy Arms and chest day: flat dumbbell press: 6 sets of 3, 30 second rests in between sets with 50 pound dumbbells.

Another example:
Cambered Bar Curls on Power day: 3 sets of 6-10 reps with 50 pounds. Enough rest time in between.
Hypertrophy day: Preacher Curls 3 sets of 8-12 reps. I do again 50 pounds.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Popeye25 private msg quote post Address this user
theres a full article by the person who made the routine so ...
Post 2 IP   flag post
Jelet private msg quote post Address this user
Read the whole article on the program. Layne explains it perfectly. Im in the gym for 2.5 hrs on my power upper body day.
Post 3 IP   flag post
MrMailliw private msg quote post Address this user
@Jelet
Seems very excessive.
Is that just warm up and weights or cardio as well?
Post 4 IP   flag post
OhhLoLo private msg quote post Address this user
id drop the weigh on my hypertrophy day and focus on slow descending (3-4 seconds) and exploding on the ascending portion.

-if youre going to failure on every set and hitting each muscle x2 a week, youre going to burn out.
Post 5 IP   flag post
nerifes private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Lolo.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Jelet private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMailliw
@Jelet
Seems very excessive.
Is that just warm up and weights or cardio as well?
warm up and weights. i like to make sure im warmed up properly or else the workouts are a little hard on my joints. and arent "smooth."

i do this.

with body weight only. and then i wait 3 minutes and repeat with 2.5lb plates . but for only 15 reps. and by then. my traps are pumped so i wait 3 minutes..

and then i start off with 30lb dumbbell flat press for like 15 reps..

then wait another 3 minutes.

then do 50lbs for a set of 10

then do 70lbs for 6 reps.

then wait 4-5 minutes and go for the 105lbs...

and then i set my timer for 5.5 mins... after i get done with the set.

and then after the last set i take 3 minutes rest. then do a warm up with half the weight that i will be using for that exercise.

example, 80lb dips. i will warm up with 40lb dips for a set of 10. then wait another 3-4 minutes. and begin my set. actually for dips. i start off with bodyweight. then 3 min rest. then do the 40lb warm up. then rest. then do my 2 working power sets with 80lbs for phat.. since dips are rough in my collar bone area if im not warmed properly...

but yea... im in the gym for 2.5 hrs. its working to. i get good gains each week. so if its not broken y fix it. just how i do things

my other days are about 1.5 hours.
Post 7 IP   flag post
340762 7 7
destitute