Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingChestPhysiqueTeen

Stubborn chest4081

nastyraccoon private msg quote post Address this user
Ok guys so here goes. i've been working out for about a year now. i have seen impressive gains almost every part of my body (i treat every body part equally,including the forgotten ones). However, i have only seen gains from the first 6 months of my training for my chest. It makes me look somewhat as if i dont lift much. I'm 15 this year. The problem which i found it to be is that even though i have a fairly good upper chest, there seem to be little muscle fibre in my inner chest section and my lower chest doesnt seem to be developed as well, hence giving it a look smaller than it should be. I've done plenty of dips in my routines, tried to emphasize on flat bench and i rarely do inclines(maybe once out of every 4 chest workouts). I can even say i have been focusing quite alot on my chest but it just doesnt seem to be growing. What seem to be the problem down here and what do u guy suggest i do?
Post 1 IP   flag post
alexmuller private msg quote post Address this user
pics!
Post 2 IP   flag post
BaiTu private msg quote post Address this user
You're 15. It's hard but be patient.

I recommend not doing hypertrophy workouts but instead focus on strength.

Can you bench press body weight? Shoulder press bodyweight?

If not, make that your goal. Focus solely on that.

Also, don't neglect your back muscles - lat pulldowns, heavy barbell rows and chin-ups and pull-ups.

Consider doing Wendler 5-3-1 or Stronglifts 5 by 5 or something else structured and focused on strength.

Don't worry on whether or not you look like you lift - worry about how many times you can bench press and shoulder press your own weight.

I remember reading an essay by Dan John where he said that it almost seemed to be a magic number - achieving the ability to bench press your own weight and deadlift double bodyweight; once his lifters achieved that, then they saw amazing results.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'm doing sort of a half calisthenics half gym spilt so my back muscles are definitely one of the most developed muscle group i have since pullups are a main component of a calisthenic regime. Sad to say but i have only started doing serious benching about 3 months ago but i can say i've seen quite alot of strength gain with it. I'm doing mostly a 6-10 rep range for bench presses and on that i can bench about 5reps of my body weight.
Post 4 IP   flag post
what can u guys suggest me? before, i've been having this mentality that im overtraining it therefore it doesnt grow instead it even became smaller. But after chest only once a week and only 12 sets(3exercise 4 sets each or vise versa) per week, i havent been seen gains either. So im thinking if u guys suggest that i go hard on my chest and hit it maybe more than once a week. Do u think my chest can hit a hard pounding since im only 15? What do u guys think? or should i continue doing it
Post 5 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
You could prioritize your chest training for a month and see how it responds.

So, in this case, you could train chest twice a week.

Something like this on Monday and Friday:

1. Flat bench for power: warm up, then 4 working sets of 4-6 reps. (Low rep, high weight)* Push to failure on the last 2 sets.

2. Incline bench: 4 sets of 6-10 reps. * Push to failure on the last set.

3. Semi incline flyers: 4 sets 10-15 reps

4. Pushups: one set to failure.

** Note: I don't like decline (personal preference), but if you do, then work it into your routine.

Do this routine twice a week for a month and see if you notice any change. And make sure you are not underestimating what your body can do - by this, I mean, don't stop when you still have a few good reps in the tank. Mind over matter - crank out a few more reps than you think you can. For sets that are not to failure, stop just 1 or 2 reps shy of failure - no sooner.
Post 6 IP   flag post
i'm always going to failure , experimenting with the highest possible weight i can deal with. Thx for the workout i guess im gonna try that for a month to see how it goes. rlly appreciate it
Post 7 IP   flag post
i've only been working out for a year and im only 15. Do u guys think its possible that my chest have hit a plateau somehow? and how do i get out of this plateau?
Post 8 IP   flag post
BaiTu private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyraccoon
i've only been working out for a year and im only 15. Do u guys think its possible that my chest have hit a plateau somehow? and how do i get out of this plateau?

Patience, grasshopper.

Maybe you've reached a plateau, but you haven't reached a brick wall.

Keep lifting, keep eating, make sure you're getting enough sleep.

Visualize your chest growing and don't worry.

Also, you may want to get a tape measure because you may have trouble seeing your chest grow. Maybe your gains are small, but no less real.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Bro, you're 15. Your body isn't done growing by any stretch of the imagination. Stop getting hung up on something like this. I wouldn't even consider priority training at your age because your body is going to do what it wants to do until you're done developing. The inner area of your chest is the last place noticeable growth occurs for most people because the fibers are thickest at the shoulder joint and least thick toward the sternum- it takes time. But even with time and proper training, some of it is just plain genetics. You aren't going to change the shape of your muscles no matter what you do; that's predetermined. -EK
Post 10 IP   flag post
340609 10 10
destitute