Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestPHAT

Stubborn Upper Chest4021

AarronStenner private msg quote post Address this user
Hey all; a lot of people have a problem developing a good upper chest, I've tried having more incline presses in my workout; I've tried supersets you name it; even tried reverse grip bench press where scientist in Canada found it activates 30% more upper chest fibres compare to 5% on flat bench press. If anyone has had the same problem and found a solution please entail me as its driving me mad: also my middle lower chest grows like crazy so a side bicep pose looks stupid !

I'm currently doing PHAT and doing flat dummbell press on my power days and doing flat dumbbell press ( speed work ) incline press; hammer strength press and incline flyes on my hypertrophy day.
Post 1 IP   flag post
PittMuscle private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2 IP   flag post
^^^WTF!
Post 3 IP   flag post
MrMailliw private msg quote post Address this user
As we all know from EK telling us you cannot target parts of your pecs.
What I think is that the lower part of your chest fills out more at first and the upper fills out more as you get more muscle.
I am the same as you but I think I will just fill out from gaining more muscle so lift heavy, be on a surplus and rest enough.

I may be wrong tho
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Genetics, patience, and overall growth.

clickable text

-EK
Post 5 IP   flag post
I think you can activate more muscle fibers in a muscle maybe im a wrong but yeah the upper chest is not a muscle on its own so in that sense I agree with EK; paitence is what I'm going to need then as I feel I've tried heck of a lot that hasn't made much of a difference. Much appreciated guys !
Post 6 IP   flag post
@eknight
Just read your post in the thread you linked and I know you said inclines are not useless but reading between the lines it sounds like you dislike incline compared to flat bench. Maybe I'm wrong.

If you could only pick one or the other would it be flat or incline and why? In your opinion.
Post 7 IP   flag post
The thread you posted EK was worth reading the longevity haha; maybe I should try decline DB and see how overall pec growth goes; cheers mate
Post 8 IP   flag post
@AarronStenner
Dude did you not read it? Said EMG activity was least active during decline.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMailliw
@eknight
Just read your post in the thread you linked and I know you said inclines are not useless but reading between the lines it sounds like you dislike incline compared to flat bench. Maybe I'm wrong.

If you could only pick one or the other would it be flat or incline and why? In your opinion.

Hard to say. On the one hand, I think it would be incline because it hits more of the totality of the chest than flat. On the other I think I might say flat bench because I built a great overall, well-proportioned chest from heavy flat benching. You can certainly go heavier on it than inclines. True powerlifter at heart....so....flat bench. -EK
Post 10 IP   flag post
Oh my bad; I'm on my IPod and it's annoying zooming in and out haa
Post 11 IP   flag post
varunj17 private msg quote post Address this user
where can i see a video with the best technique for decline press?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Swayz87 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@AarronStenner

Maybe YOU did not read....

The "lower pec" area has significantly more fibers than the upper portion. You're not really building it better, exactly, but what you're doing is hitting more fibers in the lower portion, which gives the appearance of better developing and also produces a higher EMG. Sorry that wasn't clearer. -EK
Post 13 IP   flag post
I dunno where the fuck this FLIP FLOP came from on inclines to declines but EK Originally argued that INCLINEs were the most useless....Saying flat and decline were the MOST usefull....

you cant even say different you fuggin Posted a link to the thread where he makes that entire arguement....

Post 14 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I do not recall ever saying, nor implying that. In fact that was part of what you never understood. I said incline can not be used to hit the upper portion of the chest without hitting the rest of the chest as well. You can not shift the area worked more to the upper chest by doing inclines. You may actually hit more total fiber of the chest doing inclines, but not to the exclusion of the rest of the chest. You read what you wanted to in that statement and went off half-cocked on the incorrect presumption about my statement. -EK
Post 15 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
As I'm sure you'll want to debate that point, here's what I said in the previous thread:
"So, what's the take home from this? I don't believe that inclines are "bad," or "useless." They offer variation to your workouts, slam the front delts more, increase triceps and pressing strength in general, and certainly have their place. It's just that they aren't going to hit the clavicular head of the pecs much more than flat benching, and thus, offer no advantage over a supine bench press in terms of that. -EK"

"Reread my first post in the thread, where I stated clearly, "significant changes in how that muscle contracts shouldn't be caused by changing the angle of a pressing movement." If the angle increases the activation of the clavicular head, it also increases activation of the sternal head."

"Close-grip incline bench press does develop the upper clavicular head- but it doesn't isolate it, and in fact, develops the entire chest, not JUST the clavicular head. The studies showed that overall development of the chest was better with both inclines and declines than with flat pressing. -EK"

-EK
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Ek

Quote:
@AarronStenner

UHHHH THIS ^^^^ is what im talking about.....

"Decline beach activates more fibers because there's more fibers in the lower area than upper, and the amount of force used by the delts and tris is lessened at that angle, meaning more stress is taken on by the pecs. -EK"

Which means Declines activate the MOST chest Fibers Correct EK?

Declines also Showed the Highest EMG activity as well??? this is also true Correct EK?

Because what I was doing here was SLamming Will for trying to say that Declines activiated the least fibers and produced the least EMG activity...Which you said 100% the opposite.....

That is what we are talking here...nothing else.
Post 17 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
It sounded like- and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought so- that you were slamming ME when you said, "I dunno where the fuck this FLIP FLOP came from on inclines to declines but EK Originally argued that INCLINEs were the most useless....Saying flat and decline were the MOST usefull...." -EK
Post 18 IP   flag post
WARHORSE private msg quote post Address this user
I find that incline press w 80 or 90# x 10-15 reps dumbells blows up my upper pecs nicely.

The very top up near the collarbone however is very stubborn, havent found the trick for that yet
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
It sounded like- and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought so- that you were slamming ME when you said, "I dunno where the fuck this FLIP FLOP came from on inclines to declines but EK Originally argued that INCLINEs were the most useless....Saying flat and decline were the MOST usefull...." -EK

Nah I was talking about the fact I've seen recently that people were implying that YOU were saying declines activated the least Fibers and well basically like William said the least EMG etc...

Which that is NOT AT ALL what you have said in the past...Correct?

So that is what I was mind=wtf on....especially when he was tellin OP did you not read...when lulz if HE had read anything he wouldn be saying Declines do the least activation...when they do the MOST
Post 20 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Gotcha. I apologize....looks like I was the one who was half-cocked there. -EK
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Gotcha. I apologize....looks like I was the one who was half-cocked there. -EK

Meh its all good I would expected a battle from you as well ; ) but not this time! I had seen a couple other guys saying the same thing like you had said declines were the least activating chest exercise and inclines were the most.... I was like that motha fucka! I swear to Gawd Ek never said that! : P I figure those peeps just aint reading correctly or something
Post 22 IP   flag post
@eknight I ALWAYS RAPE BACK!
Post 23 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Eh....horrible thought, that. -EK
Post 24 IP   flag post
@eknight

LULZ!!!